cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

KitKat Upgrade

christirmt
I've Been Here Awhile

I have a Samsung Galaxy S2, I know it's old but I like it, and Kies will not let me upgrade to KitKat.  I get a message that says if I have used Kies to upgrade to JellyBean Baseband MA7 I need to cancel the upgrade to KitKat.

Any suggestions on how I can upgrade?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: KitKat Upgrade

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello christirmt

Sadly Samsung will NOT be releasing the Kit Kat update to the S2. So the update u want, u would get it sadly. Are you sure that is what the message said? The S2 is pretty old and even Samsung confirmed the S2 will not be getting 4.4 Kit Kat update.

View solution in original post

44 REPLIES 44

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello christirmt

Sadly Samsung will NOT be releasing the Kit Kat update to the S2. So the update u want, u would get it sadly. Are you sure that is what the message said? The S2 is pretty old and even Samsung confirmed the S2 will not be getting 4.4 Kit Kat update.

View solution in original post

christirmt
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for your help.  Yes, the message was quite clear, if I had already updated via Kies to Jellybean MA7 I would have to cancel the update.  I guess I will just have to look at a new phone if this one is getting obsolete.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello christirmt

Samsung will never ever release the Kit-Kat 4.4 update for the S2. The phone will not be getting that update. Sadly you must of got another update thinking its the 4.4 one but its not.

Either way yes it the phone isn't working properly & has issues, i would suggest replacing it.!

tobesedated2
I Plan to Stick Around
If i understand correctly from different articles in various places, the device cutoff age for KitKat is 18 months....anything older will not receive the update

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello tobesedated2

Exactly that is correct.

Samsung devices will be S3, S4, Note 2, Note 3, Galaxy 4 Mini.

HTC devices will be HTC One, HTC One Max, HTC One mini

Anything older then those will not get 4.4 Kit Kat officially from the carriers or the manufactorers. You can root the device & add a custom rom which will have the update BUT this is a risk you take if anything happens to the device.

I want to say to everyone this is the Canadian one. What the international models get, we wont.

Hizzoner
I'm Here A Lot

Any news from Rogers about the Kit Kat 4.4 upgrade to Sony Xperia SP phone?

The 4.4 upgrade was supposed to have been released in Dec. 2013.

I'm very interested in this upgrade

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Hizzoner

That was for unlocked devices, not for carrier branded ones. No info yet sadly.

RGC1940
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the info. I was unable to get any info. from Rogers at all.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello RGC1940

You are welcome. Sadly Rogers reps do not get told anything so they have no way of giving any information out. This is due that head office isn't giving out any information.

Smartswine
I Plan to Stick Around
🙂 Meowmix that's a strong statement

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Smartwine

Yes it is. Its a strong statement because it's true 🙂 l. Head office knows things way before call center / store reps know. The call center reps and store reps find out about stuff from head office a day or so before or sometimes they don't get any information unless it's by the public

Smartswine
I Plan to Stick Around
well in my opinion the biggest challenge of Rogers customer care isn’t in info sharing but in consistency of service; because sometimes you do get all the right answers, unfortunately in other cases your call can be forwarded to agents who have very limited knowledge

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Smartwine

While that is true and i do agree. The problem is that with updates and such, reps have no knowledge or know until head office tells them something. Sadly this is how it is.

I have recorded and sent recordings to head office of Rogers on how reps are treating normal customers. Some are nice and some are not nice and plain rude.

wpd
I Plan to Stick Around

Any idea when the Kit Kat upgrade will be released for the S4 ?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello wpd

At this point there is no information when it will become available to Rogers customers. It could come within weeks or months. No word from Samsung Canada or Rogers yet.

fysty-1
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't kniow for sure but I think Rogers is the slowest of all the carriers to upgrade.  They won't upgrade my Note to Jellybean so I changed phones. ( And I just bought an Otterbox Defender for the Note 1):smileyfrustrated:  Any way cheers Angela Smiley Happy

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello fysty -1

The Note 1 will never get any updates from Samsung let alone a carrier that's why. Blame Samsung, not Rogers on this lol.

fysty-1
I Plan to Stick Around

Does that mean that I will never be able to fet Kit Kat?  That sucks.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello fysty -1

On the Galaxy Note 1 no you will not unless you root the device. On this. Galaxy Mega you will at some point

RGC1940
I Plan to Stick Around

Very typical for Rogers services...no one seems to know diddly squat