Kit Kat -> when??

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AJPnKW
I've Been Here Awhile

Kit Kat -> when??

There is lots of buzz about Android v4.4 aka Kit Kat and the Rogers OS Upgrades thtread doesn't acknodledge any Galaxy  phones on thier smart phone list

Please keep us updated and updated on your plans.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Kit Kat -> when??

Hello AJPnKW

Yes that is correct.  Rogers does have an "OS Upgrade Schedule" thread in which they do post on any device when the upgrades come out. In the past they do update that thread ONLY when they info is given tho then. Until then, they will not post anything. Just like Bell & Telus does.  Also the update has not yet been released, so when it does, the carriers will get it, test it on the devices and then release it. Knowing Rogers, it takes them 1-3 months after the release to them to and then to us. Best to follow their Facebook, Twitter and their thread in which i posted below that gives u a list on when the devices will be updated. Please note that they will only post any info on when a certain device gets a update info when they have it. They won't post anything until then. 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello AJPnKW

Yes that is correct.  Rogers does have an "OS Upgrade Schedule" thread in which they do post on any device when the upgrades come out. In the past they do update that thread ONLY when they info is given tho then. Until then, they will not post anything. Just like Bell & Telus does.  Also the update has not yet been released, so when it does, the carriers will get it, test it on the devices and then release it. Knowing Rogers, it takes them 1-3 months after the release to them to and then to us. Best to follow their Facebook, Twitter and their thread in which i posted below that gives u a list on when the devices will be updated. Please note that they will only post any info on when a certain device gets a update info when they have it. They won't post anything until then. 

View solution in original post

Markyyc
I've Been Around

There was a 789 mb software update this morning on my S4. After downloading and installing, nothing has changed on my phone. It still says that I am on Jelly Bean 4.3. 

What was this update all about if not Kitkat ?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Markyyc

No the S4 got the 4.3 Jellybean update. Your S4 came with and had 4.2.2 on it and the update is 4.3. Samsung has not announced or rolled out the Kit Kat for any S3,S4 or another device other then the Nexus devices. 

4.4 Kit Kat may come to the S4 sometime next year ( mostly likely spring time.) 

Tony_YYZ
I Plan to Stick Around

@AJPnKW

There's been a leaked document that shows that it will be hitting the international variants of the GS4, Note 3, GS3 and Note 2 in Q1-Q2 2014. If it holds true then the North American release shouldn't be too far off from that schedule.

http://www.sammobile.com/2013/11/22/galaxy-s4-and-note-3-to-get-android-4-4-in-january-s-iii-and-not...

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Tony_YYZ

While true, the OP was talking about the update they got. Either way even if lets say Samsung releases the update you the carriers on Q1 / Q2 of 2014, it all depends on the carriers and no one really knows when and date ( as this document may be fake as that site says) . Also carriers like Rogers is known to release updates weeks if not months later. 

Also if u read that site page,  it will tell u that they can't prove if its real or fake.  So no one knows if its true or not. So i rather wait and see a official work or leak to believe it. 

Tony_YYZ
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix

I think you're confused. OP was referencing seeing KitKat updates for other phones on the Rogers update schedule but not any information for the Galaxy series of phones.

As for the update schedule, that's exactly what I said. I did not give any definite timeframe, just that it will follow after the international release.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Tony_YYZ

Sorry about that,  i thought u were responding to the user above and i meant the reply about him not the OP.. I put OP by accident as i use auto correct. I know u didn't but the link u posted showed a picture where it can be fake or real. So i posted that i rather believe it until i a proper leak which can be said is real. I don't doubt we will get it next year but it may be later on spring / as most. Believe me i know Rogers and how they do updates and it takes them at least 3-8 weeks or more after the manufacturer release the update. Also it all depends on what they need to do and if they will take their time ( which most of us know they do). 

Also like i have said before, Rogers will ONLY update that list when they get info. I have seen many Galaxy phone on there. They remove the phones that got the updates after a while. I have been on here for long enough to know this well.

Tony_YYZ
I Plan to Stick Around

@Meowmix

Again, that is why I included such text as "If it holds true..." as to open the possibility that it may not happen per that schedule. 

Motorola and HTC are square on the ball for getting KitKat out the door ASAP. Samsung will have to fall inline as well in order to keep their competitive edge. The update will come to the International variants first and then North America will see it weeks-months later. That's how it's always been.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Tony_YYZ

I just said that above as well... Samsung is known to take their time and release updates later then others and with the delay of 4.3 on the S4, i wouldn't doubt they will have a delay or problem.

Either way, in the end, we will see the update later on mid next year at most.