Kindle offer issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Kindle offer issue

So I decided to take advantage of this kindle promotion as my contract was up in June. Really, I had wanted to leave Rogers so I could get a much better deal from other providers but thought that I've always been with Rogers and I wouldn't mind a free e-reader. A few weeks ago I call to ask some questions and see if upgrading my phone would get me to qualify for the kindle. Guy was super friendly and did some looking around in my file and said I qualified for the promotion. So all said and done after 30 min of talking to this guy (wanted to change my plan as well) I end upgrading to an iPhone 5 and change my plan. I ask the guy if with all of this done I get the e-reader. The plan I got was suggested to me by the Rogers rep based on my usage history from the past months. At the end of the conversation I again asked if I get the free kindle and be said yes, when the phone comes in, activate it and fill out the online form. So yesterday I decide to check on the status of my kindle, should have gotten an email but didn't, only to find out that it said I didn't meet the criteria. Here's where it gets fun, I talked to another Rogers rep to find out what was going on and as far as he could see It was in my file that I was looking for the free kindle and hardware was upgraded and plan was changed. After 20 min of talking to him he transferred me to another department, after checking with his manager and finding out they didn't have authorization to get me a free kindle. Now I'm talking to a female and she looks into it further and said I meet the criteria and she goes to check with her manager (having to explain to everyone as I get transferred) and comes back and says she is t authorized to get a kindle sent to me and gets me transferred to the promotions department. I'm on the phone for over an hour now. Everyone up to this point was helpful and nice and this guy in promotions was toilsome. Kept on saying it was only for new number activations and I kept on telling him that I have emails and texts from Rogers saying that with an upgrade you get a free kindle and everyone else I've spoken to said I should get one. He just kept on quoting "terms of service" to me and I asked for his boss. He said he was the boss and above him was head office and I can't talk to them. He starts getting really pissy with me so I told him I'm going to hang up and call customer service again to speak to someone who isn't a brute. Call again (on the phone for an hour and a half now) and speak to a lady who looked at my file and I explained everything to her that's been going on, including this promotions guy on a power trip and said yes, upgrading a smart phone was eligible for this offer. She asks her manager and said nothing could be done in her department and transfers me to customer loyalty. Talking to another person now and explain yet again what's been going on and finally get told that its on certain plans only that I could still qualify for the discount of $50 for the kindle, that would now cost me $150. Her manager was out of office so I left my info for a call back.
After talking to 7 people in various departments I'm pretty much told I'm scrap out of luck with the kindle and now I'm stuck in another 3 year contract with this company that I now hate. So much for almost 10 years of being with Rogers for my wireless needs, at the end of the day I just got buggered around royally. I'm sure some media outlets and the crtc would love to hear about this.
Rogers wireless, where no one seems to know their head from their foot.

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Kindle offer issue

I completely understand your frustration/anger on this.. While not on the exact same problem.. this all falls back to something that has come up in a number of threads recently.

THE LACK OF TRAINING.  Your last line, pretty much sums it up.  They just DONT KNOW their own promotions half the time.

Half of these problems would be never even started.. if they knew what their own stuff waw.

As for this kindle one.. the specifics for it ARE:

It is open, yes, to existing customers.. as well as new one.
So in that sense, YES, you did qualify for it.
BUT.
Its for new lines only.  So, to qualify for it, you woud have had to say cancel your current line, and activate on the new one.

Only thing i can sugest, since you have talked to managers etc already is talk to retentions.. they often have more power than the regular reps/managers.. and may be able to do something.   (though 'customer loyalty' may have been the same department)

How long ago did you do all this? how much usage on the phone have you done.. you might be within the period to cancel it, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

Kindle offer issue

Been like two weeks or so since this upgrade.
The promotion stated that existing customers eligible for upgrade also qualified as long as it was an upgrade to certain smartphones. What they said was I didn't choose one of three plans that would have fulfilled my qualification. In the end they just don't stick to what they say even if its noted in my file. Multi-billion dollar company and they cause such a fuss over one silly kindle to keep a customer who's only been with Rogers. I probably would have continued to stay with Rogers even after this contract. My work has a massive corporate account too, I didn't go on that plan because I wanted the kindle. Could have gotten a free iPhone 4S with the corporate promotion too but I dished out a few hundred for a 5. I'm hoping tiger this sorted out

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Kindle offer issue

Two weeks might be pushing it for a cancel Smiley Sad

Other than bringing this to people awareness,  there is not much that can be done from this venue.. you will have to keep pushing via the phone, etc.
If you havent already, get a ticket # and managers name.
You can escalate your issue then through the office of the president, etc via the web, but you need the above info.

Good luck and hopefuly you can get something resolved.

EDIT:
Got the link for it for you:
https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=NEW_GCT&_nfls=true&setLanguage=en&tem...

Go to complements and complaints. and follow step by step through there.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/kindle-offer?cm_sp=homepage-post-_-kindle-en-0213-_-slot1

The little '+ more details' has the full info for the promotion.

Not posting it to argue with you, but it does show there, the new line only thing. (point 1)

The point is... if someone like ME.. knows what the details are for it.. by looking on the website... there is NO ESCUSE that every billing person at rogers should know this when signing people up for it!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello pritpal88

Read this

Offer only available from participating Rogers locations from April 1, 2013 - May 15, 2013 or while quantities last to new and existing customers who purchase a new smartphone and activate a new line on an eligible 3-yr talk, text and internet plan (single line with min. $55 monthly service fee or add a line to any family plan with min. $110 monthly service fee for first two lines). Customers must also complete online submission form at www.rogerspromotions.com/kindle by June 15, 2013."

No where there does it say for upgrades are eligible. All it says is current & existing customers can OPEN a NEW line & get it.
not a upgrade.

https://www.rogerspromotions.com/kindle/terms.php

I've Been Here Awhile

This is almost exactly what has happened to me, with the exact same responses from reps. As far as I saw, nothing about the kindle offer mentioned "a new line". It simply said to upgrade to a new android on a 3 year contract which I did. Tonight, again, I got the same responses as this commenter. But, on a positive note (not) I could but the kindle for $149 OR if I wanted to add a line he'd give me $100 off because of the Kindle confusion. I have 5 lines now between husband, kids and myself and that's the best they can do??? Wow, this feels alot like false advertising. My phone just arrived today and is not out of the box. It's going back tomorrow and they can forget about a three year contract.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello mrsd1978

Actually you are wrong. On the term like i posted it does say " ffer only available from participating Rogers locations from April 1, 2013 - May 15, 2013 or while quantities last to new and existing customers who purchase a new smartphone and activate a new line on an eligible 3-yr talk, text and internet plan. "

Right there it does say it. Also it says it on the website as well. You guys need to read the fine print as well, not just the big print. So in reality the reps are right.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately meowmix it right.

On things the submission page for the kindle, it doesnt list them there.. just the IMAGE for the deal itself, etc..

But on the link that was posted here, the main page for the promotion, it does say on a new line.  As well, at least the one paper add that i did see for it as well, did have this in the find print as well.

I've Been Here Awhile

Seems Meowmix and Gdkitty read things more thoroughly than I did. It appears I am guily of not reading the small print completely. The large full page ad leads you to believe if you upgrade and sign a new 3 year contract you qualify for the Kindle. However, before I quickly agreed to the next smaller print page, I should have read thoroughly instead of skimming over it, and I would have seen the "new line" stipulation.

Thanks to Meowmix and Gdkitty for posting so I can realize its my mistake. However, the reps should know this information as well so clients are not mislead. Clearly this is not a case of false advertising but minimally it is misleading. But, my bad for not thoroughly reading the smaller print. Lesson learned.