Keep needing to reboot CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Keep needing to reboot CGN3

If you want to leave it in gateway mode to get the better speeds.. you can still use your own router for wireless if you so chose, setting it up as an AP... using the CGN3 just as a wired router.

I Plan to Stick Around

This is pathetic, why treat your preimuim internet users with a gimped device. They should allow us to use our own device, or hurry the fix. They need to understand most people willing to shell out 125.99 for Internet, probably have their own networks.

I'll leave it in bride mode for now seeing as its getting just a bit slower then 150/10, allowing me to at least ask for credit and putting pressure on them to work on this issue, as opposed to calling it a day and heading back to the 150/10 on CGN2.

I Plan to Stick Around

How do I do this? I have a WRT610N in the basement, which I wired to the WAN on my WRT310N on the third floor so I can increase the wifi range. I configured their ip addresses as needed.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

When you configure the WAN port on your linksys routers, don't select DHCP, but Bridge Mode instead. It may be best to configure static IP addresses for your routers outside the DHCP scope of your network range so you can quickly connect back and reconfigure to normal functionality once Rogers fixes the problem. This is how I have things working for me.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont have the CGN3, but the SMC.. but have it set up with two APs in my house.

Non bridged gateway.. with WIRELESS turned off (so no extra interfearance).

(set as 192.168.0.1)

Out of one of the ports, up to the main floor, where my Router/AP #1 is.

Now, if the router supports it, you can put it into an AP or bridge mode, like gisuck said... and leave it plugged into the WAN port.
Alternatively, you can just plug it into one of the LAN ports without changing that mode (if its not supported, etc)
I have this one set, as 192.168.0.2.
The same setup, going up to a 2nd router/AP.. set as 192.168.0.3.

On these units... you will want to make sure NAT, DHCP, etc is all off... just your wireless security settings ON.

Now, as sugested.. IF the CGN3 supports setting what the DHCP range is.. best to set it ABOVE what the AP ip's are.

If not.. (like on the SMC) you still should be OK.. generally it will poll when trying to assign an IP and if it finds one already on the network with that.. usually wont assign it...

I Plan to Stick Around

@Prospect wrote:

This is pathetic, why treat your preimuim internet users with a gimped device. They should allow us to use our own device, or hurry the fix. They need to understand most people willing to shell out 125.99 for Internet, probably have their own networks.

I'll leave it in bride mode for now seeing as its getting just a bit slower then 150/10, allowing me to at least ask for credit and putting pressure on them to work on this issue, as opposed to calling it a day and heading back to the 150/10 on CGN2.

Welcome to the botched logic that all of us have been scratching our heads over. 

Premium internet service, $125. You assume anyone who's paying that would know why they want to pay that much money and the hardware offerings would include, say, a standalone modem or at the very least a device that can be used in bridge mode without issue. 

Yet here we are.

The good news is that Rogers is at least aware of the problem and their hardware people are working with Hitron on a fix for this issue. 

The bad news is that there is no stated timeline for an actual fix and no explanation of how such a poorly tested device was let loose in the first place.

I Plan to Stick Around

They keep claiming its an issue of the signal strength to my house, yet the other 3 individuals connected at the cap are fine.

I'm going to escalate this to Office of the President or the Ombudsman. Not sure why we are paying $12 for a modem that doesn't work as its supposed to, and are forced to use it as the other modems are not provisioned for this service tier.
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm also going to send an email to the office of the president and ombudsman regarding this matter. It's taking way to long to resolve. Can't hurt to keep reminding them of this issue, as everyone with the CGN3 is experiencing this.

I'm Here A Lot

Well you should see 136Mbps or so, according to http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/30530-linksys-wrt610n-simultaneous-dual-n-b... , your router WAN to LAN speed is 136Mbps. 

CGN3 speeds through your router will be subject to total through-put of its routing performance. Most routers use a software based calculation which will bottleneck the through-put on the majority of routers. Routers with hardware based NAT will have a much higher through-put, for example the TP-LINK 4300 can reach 800Mbps WAN to LAN performance. You also have to take inconsideration firmware, if your using Openwrt/ddwrt or any open source firmware they will not be able use hardware based NAT thus WAN to LAN will be reduced. 

With the example of TP-LINK 4300 with stock firmware I can easily reach 300Mbps in bridged or gateway (in gateway I plugged port 1 of cgn3 to wan port of TP-LINK). When installing Openwrt I could only sustain 200Mbps or so.

This doesn't resolve the daily reboots in bridged mode or awful pings but anyone having speed issues do a quick search to see what your routers WAN to LAN speeds are as most manufactures make no mention of this normally. 

EDIT:

Sorry this was in response to Prospect 

I Plan to Stick Around

I realize the issue hasn't been resolved from Rogers yet, but just FYI, 

FS has the modem onsale right now:

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/product/rogers-rogers-advanced-wireless-dual-band-modem-cgn3-rog-engl...

Interstingly none of the commenters/product reviews on the FS site are aware of this issue.