Keep needing to reboot CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: Keep needing to reboot CGN3

@TeDD13 wrote:

So, basically there is some justification to upgrading a modem - you are getting more bonded channels.

However, there was absolutely no reason for Rogers to offer you CGN3 right away as "medium-tier" modems will do the job just fine.

Yes, the bottom line is that ANY 8x4 modem will do 330 down and 150 up easily. Rogers is blowing smoke like they always do when they're trying to jam their latest and most expensive hardware down unsuspecting new users throats.

Until Rogers packages surpass 330/150 speeds then the 24x8 gateways are just EXPENSIVE unnecessary toys and produce NO real time current advantage on todays Rogers speed tiers.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"
I Plan to Stick Around

I just upgraded to the CGN3 modem from the CGN2 for no other reason than the fact that Rogers told me that I need the CGN3 unit to benefit from the latest speed bump for my Ultimate plan (250/20), and I've already had to reboot my unit (bridge mode, as I do need to do some port forwarding) today. From what I can tell, Rogers is correct as the adjustment was made to my account the day before I traded in the hardware, and I didn't notice any difference in performance until I started using the CGN3 device. Whether this is the actual hardware limitation, or just Rogers forcing the issue on the back-end, I don't know.

From specs alone, all both the "2nd Tier" CGN2 and Cisco devices should be able to handle those speeds. Has anyone been successful in getting 20mbps upload from either of these devices? If so, I'm going to get my old unit back!

L

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have seen speed tests of people with the cgn3, non bridged, wired connection, getting the 20 up.
(Beleive someone just posted it in the last few days on digitalhome.ca, they were still testing with bridged)

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, but have you seen anyone with either a CGN2 or Cisco unit get the 20mbps up? That's the confirmation I'm looking for, as I want to keep running in bridged mode, but don't want to reboot the router twice a day.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Oh, a CGN2 or cisco? no.

As while even the modem SHOULD be able to be provisioned properly.. they wont that plan, unless on the CGN3.

Here is the thread on digitalhome, for reverence about the speeds currently. (again with the CGN3)
http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=150326&page=5

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the link - Just quickly read through it. After some general research, there are a few issues up in the air for me.

1) Firmware - My unit came (and still is) on 4.1.4.5, which I understand to be an older binary. The newest firmware is 4.2.4.1. Apparently this firmware adds support for things like port forwarding. I find it odd though, that my modem port forwards fine with the older firmware.

2) Speeds - There seems to be some disparity between speeds when using the device in bridge vs. gateway mode. Although download speeds aren't my highest priority, nobody has been able to figure out why. From my personal experience, I haven't noticed that much difference in performance running between these two modes.

3) Connectivity - This is currently the thorn in my side. I want stability in bridge mode, something that I haven't been able to achieve. In gateway mode, I can run forever, but I detest having to port forward everything from my modem to my router, and then do it again on my router. It's a waste of a hop. I am hoping that 4.2.4.1 actually fixes this issue.

I would love to be able to exchange the CGN3 back to the CGN2 or the Cisco, but as you've pointed out, I would lose the 20mbps upload that I currently have, so unlike the OP, that is not an option for me. The CGN3 is the only modem that I can use, and at least with the current firmware that I have right now, is pretty broken.

L.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Question.. why would you have to do the double port forwarding??

Unless specifically using stuff like parental controls, time of day, etc.. on the 3rd party router... there are other options.
You could just forward from the CGN3 to any IP internally.  You can can still set up your 3rd party router for wireless only.. set it up as an access point only, etc.

Just an option.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I just got the CGN3 recently due to my upgrade to 250/20. Already had to reboot once. If stability is continuing to be a problem, I probably put my modem back into gateway mode. I'll disable the wireless on the CGN3 and then put my personal router into bridge mode.

Since I only port forward one port, I don't see it as a big loss as I can still use my personal router as the wireless network for 802.11AC in my house.

I Plan to Stick Around

I need QoS and I also have a persistent VPN set up between my home and a few other sites. I don't actually need the wireless, and my place is small enough that if I did, I probably could just get by with the one built into the hitron. 

L.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

There's no reason why you couldn't do that with your own router. For your persistent VPN, just make sure that the CGN3 has VPN passthrough enabled, and for QoS that all your devices are behind your own router.