Keep needing to reboot CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Keep needing to reboot CGN3

Exactly, you cant have call center agents calling the NOC about issues or else nothing would get done. There's a heavy disconnect there for a reason. More than likely someone at the NOC pushed something down that wasn't suppose to and then rolled everything back. There wouldn't have been any communication of network changes being made to call centers.
I'm Here A Lot

I too had too return my CGN3 because of repeated problems in bridge mode, my excitement shattered reaching Ultimate speeds advertised.  If only Rogers can do the right thing… RECALL all CGN3, stop selling/renting and  shameful TV ads  of defective equipment.
 It would appear both Rogers & Hitron have a problem resolving this issue.  The next firmware from Hitron will be auto reboot device every 8 hours?
Long live my SMC D3GN, working like a charm in bridge mode.

I Plan to Stick Around

We don't have TV service but I was at a friends house and saw the Rogers commercial where various people are "amazed" at the speed and WiFi range of the Rogers CGN3 device.

I chuckled. Awesome how such a godawful device is being sold as the greatest home router ever. Bridge mode device (I'm using an SMC) plus any decent router (Airport Extreme, ASUS 66u, etc) will give better range and performance than the CGN3... plus it won't randomly slow down or crash on you 3 times a week.

Rogers, honestly, you're embarrassing yourselves with these CGN3 devices.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I just really need a firmware upgrade. I'm sure that's all it takes...C'mon Rogers/Hitron - I don't care who's fault it is, I want to be able to use MY router (It's a Netgear Nighthawk, and with DD-WRT on it, it is capable of amazing things), and I want to be able to use QoS, and create my own guest hotspots - I want to be able to monitor my traffic over the course of a month, as well as in real time. I can do all of that and much, much more with my wonderful router, but only if I can put your so-called "gateway device" into bridged mode. However, we all not that can't happen right now.

Rogers, I pay a LOT of money to you every month. A LOT. Fix your hardware PLEASE.

I Plan to Stick Around

Okay, I just received a call from the CAT at Rogers, and have been given the following update:

1) Engineering has been actively working on this issue with Hitron since I first talked to the CAT.
2) They have, in their hands a brand new firmware that they are testing. This new firmware has only been installed on a handful of internal test devices. Rahim, the CAT rep does not know how well/unwell it is working at the moment.
3) Because he has personally seen the issue and is able to replicate it, Rahim will also test it when the new firmware is given to him so that he may confirm whether or not the issues have been resolved.

So again, the wait is on. This is actually the best news I've head since Rogers actually acknowledged that there was a problem with the unit. I look forward to the day where I can run this device in bridge mode, and shove it in my ceiling and never look at it again.

L.

I've Been Here Awhile

I too am in the CGN3 daily reboot club with a bridge mode CGN3.  I have swapped the modem twice in the past 2 weeks and am now on my third, have had techs onsite to verify / validate cabling and signal, and now find this thread showing lots of people with the same issues.  I sure hope they get it together soon as this is crazy.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah we're all waiting patiently. I'm renting a DPC3825 for 150/10 right now but since I assume 250/20 will be available in my area (for the same price) before too long I'm going to need to move to a CGN3 sooner or later. I'd also, of course, like to avoid the rental fee but am very much not interested in buying the Cisco given it won't be compatiable with anything above 150/10. 

I'm just hoping they get the CGN3 fixed before 250/20 comes to my area. 🙂

I Plan to Stick Around

Hey Guys,

I haven't heard anything back from Rogers / CAT since my last post, so I'm guessing they are still testing. I'll give it until the middle of the week and then call in and ask for an update again.

Everyone else having problems: It's important that you vocalize your issues not just on this message board, but to rogers as well. They need to understand (not just know) that this effects every single person that is using a CGN3. The more people they hear from, the better they understand.

L.

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm having issues, hoping for some help. 

Recently moved from 150/10 to 250/20, however in gateway mode I can get up 327/20, but in Bridge mode I can only get 90 -110 down/ 20 up. Any ideas why? I'm using a wired connection and useing a WRT610N.

Rogers is also saying I have a weak signal to my house, but if that is the case, why am I able to hit 327 on the Gateway Mode?

Addtionally, I have the wire coming from the demarc straight to the house, no Rogers Phone or TV services, just Internet with them.

On my second CGN3 right now, looking for ideas why the drop in speed, is it my router or ?

I Plan to Stick Around

@Prospect wrote:

I'm having issues, hoping for some help. 

Recently moved from 150/10 to 250/20, however in gateway mode I can get up 327/20, but in Bridge mode I can only get 90 -110 down/ 20 up. Any ideas why? I'm using a wired connection and useing a WRT610N.

Rogers is also saying I have a weak signal to my house, but if that is the case, why am I able to hit 327 on the Gateway Mode?

Addtionally, I have the wire coming from the demarc straight to the house, no Rogers Phone or TV services, just Internet with them.

On my second CGN3 right now, looking for ideas why the drop in speed, is it my router or ?

The CGN3 is basically a defective device. No other way to say it. It's not your CGN3. It's ALL CGN3's as far as we can tell. If you put them in bridge mode, they run slower than in gateway mode (contrary to all logic) and they need to be rebooted every 12-24 hours. 

If you put them in gateway mode, they have slow pings to their LAN ports, indicating something is wrong internally (some are guessing runaway CPU usage due to a firmware bug, perhaps).

Your best bet is to: 

a) Leave in gatway mode and keep your fingers crossed that Rogers fixes it soon, accepting the security risks and lack of functionality that are included in this.

b) Downgrade to 150/10 again and switch back to a CGN2 or Cisco DPC3825, which work fine in bridge mode.