Keep needing to reboot CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Keep needing to reboot CGN3

Lol. 🙂
Nice.

The smc has one issue when accessing the page which shows all dhcp devices connected, reboots the gateway. Otherwise no ping to the gateway issues.

Good to know there may be some move on getting this fixed, at least it's known now.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

My big question on this is why did Rogers not find this problem themselves?  People have been having this problem for months and they kept denying that is was a problem with the device?  Think of how many field visits there have been to people with this problem?

Why did it take nagging from those of us on here to convince them of a problem?  You see the issue all over Twitter, Facebook, Rogers Community Forums, DSL Reports, Digital Home Canada Forums,etc?  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that there is a problem here.

IMHO someone at Rogers was extremely negligent on this issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

Received a DM from @RogersHelps this morning, they basically said the fault has been identified/confirmed and they are working with Hitron on a resolution.  Progress!

I Plan to Stick Around

Because of this problem I was going to get one of the older modems this weekend, but now I am temped to get this newer one and put up with the issue knowing a fix is on the way.....Hoping it won't take months........mmm decisions.

It's not that suprising that they resleased the modem with this issue. Happens a lot that hardware or software is released with bugs by many vendors/companies. 

What is suprising is that with all the reports of problems and input from folks on here that Rogers seemed to still drop the ball and was not more proactive in investigating this.   As usual their service leaves a lot to be desired. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Hello everyone,

I too have the new Hitron modem and was using it strictly in bridge mode.

Previously I had the SMC modem and it worked flawlessly for well over a year. 

With the new Hitron modem, I need to power-cycle it every couple of days like everyone else. I also switched to Gateway mode to compare bandwidth speeds and found that in Gateway mode I got an average of 100mbit download and 10mbit upload and in Bridge mode I got an average of 70mbit download and 2mbit upload.

If Rogers didn't have their secret backdoor to these modems I wouldn't have an issue running it in gateway mode but the fact they hide many options from the 'standard user' (as seen in the SMC model) tells me that Bridge mode is the safest means to function.

I hope a firmware update becomes available soon to resolve these issues now that there is more awareness.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Alot of it stems.. from no proper process/way to report it.

you would THINK through tech support & calling in.. they should.. but it seems like they have no formal process through there to submit the issue further up either 😞

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I am about to hit five days in Gateway mode with no reboots.  So I think I can say that for me at least it appears to be way more stable in Gateway mode, unless something else has changed.  I never made it past two days in Bridge mode.

But, like pretty much everyone else here, I would far prefer to be running it in Bridge mode and to use my Asus RT-N66U as a router/ WAP.

I Plan to Stick Around

@netiv2k wrote:

Hello everyone,

I too have the new Hitron modem and was using it strictly in bridge mode.

Previously I had the SMC modem and it worked flawlessly for well over a year. 

With the new Hitron modem, I need to power-cycle it every couple of days like everyone else. I also switched to Gateway mode to compare bandwidth speeds and found that in Gateway mode I got an average of 100mbit download and 10mbit upload and in Bridge mode I got an average of 70mbit download and 2mbit upload.

If Rogers didn't have their secret backdoor to these modems I wouldn't have an issue running it in gateway mode but the fact they hide many options from the 'standard user' (as seen in the SMC model) tells me that Bridge mode is the safest means to function.

I hope a firmware update becomes available soon to resolve these issues now that there is more awareness.

^^^^ This.

NEVER use Rogers services using the devices provided unless you're in bridge mode and using your own router. Rogers hasn't exactly demonstrated long-term trustworthiness as an ISP (DNS hijacking, throttling, throttling while claiming NOT to be, etc).

The idea that Rogers technicians could access my router (and therefore my LAN) without any layer of security managed by me is terrifying. With your modem bridged, Rogers can manage their side (WAN and cable modem) and I'll manage my side (Router and LAN).

I Plan to Stick Around

I found that it was pretty stable in Gateway mode as well, but the Internet acted weird; odd things, like needing 3-4 tries to join a Battlefield Server, or sometimes websites wouldn't load completely until after I refreshed. So, I have went back to bridge mode, and I'm just rebooting every morning before I go to work, and every evening when i get back. I figure they should have this problem addressed soon, but in general, the service is MUCH better for me bridge mode, other than the rebooting part.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

well I went and got modem updated at Rogers store today. Decided to go with the old Cisco and hold off on the new Hitron until fix is out and stable.

Got setup in bridge mode quick first speed test and I am finally at 150/10 as I should have been when I first upgraded to Ultimate a year plus ago. The people on the phone didn't know enough to tell me I needed new moded to get the higher upload speed, nowadays their computer system forces you to switch to the new modem when switching to the Ultimate pkg.

Thanks to all the contributors on this thread. I'll be watching for the fix and feedback from people here.

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats