Keep needing to reboot CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Keep needing to reboot CGN3

@opensolutions wrote:

LYuan and everyone in this thread,  I appreciate your efforts in trying to trouble shoot this issue.   I don't have much to add to the conversation but would like to offer a summation of what I know from this issue.

My info:  Hitron CGN3 - Bridged Mode, FW 4.1.4.4 or 4.2.4.1, 20x3 channels bound on 35/3Mbps tier and speedboosts upto 96Mbps.  All signal levels are good but Rogers indicates high level of packet loss 14%??.  Truck is here on Monday.  RG6 and Cat6 everywhere no spitters and cable is direct from the demarc to modem.  Both IP4 and IP6 connections with Rogers using 6To4.  Everything works really  well...when it works.

In bridged mode the modem will appear to not respond around the 36-48h mark and do so very consistantly.   This even happens when no one is home and useage is very low.  There are CGN3s in the field that are reporting over 100d of uptime on 4.2.4.1 in gateway mode.  When the modem does fail, some exisiting connections may continue to operate for a short time afterwards but only continuting doing what they are doing.  I cannot get to CGN3 modem IP address any longer and all WAN traffic is stopped.  My router (ASUS RT-AC66) reports WAN ethernet port to the CGN3 is up but no traffic.

I concur with the finding that it's looking like a Ethernet resource issue on the CGN3.  It was an interesting finding that LYuan made about the ping times to the various interfaces.  Mine are 0.3ms to the LAN interface on AC66, 0.32ms to WAN and 23.2ms to the CGN3 7.x.x.x IP.  Oddly pings to www.google.ca were 16.7ms at this same time!!

Unless you are getting a Cisco, gateway swaps have not helped anyone yet with this issue....and I bought mine so I am looking for a solution. 

So sadly this looks par for the Rogers course, as it were. 

I'm currently a TekSavvy customer and the 250/20 package at 1TB has me interested in switching back to Rogers but I'm basically -never- going to do so if I can't reliable bridge and use my own router. The idea that anyone at Rogers has access to my LAN is terrifying (and probably should be illegal to be honest, but I digress). 

In a perfect world Rogers would finally acknowledge the legion of power users begging them for a simple "modem only" DOCSIS 3.0 solution and provide us with an option. With Motorola out of the cable modem business (it seems), I'd even take the Hitron 24-channel offerings, if Rogers insists. 

How hard is this? Don't even support it beyond the LAN interface for all I care... if Rogers gave me the option to get 250/20 on a "modem only" device and all they would support is right up to the LAN interface on the cable modem I'd be completely happy. If I want LAN based support I'd have to move to a gateway device and all the associated trouble, reduced performance and security conecessions associated with it. Seems beyond simple to me, yet it's literally been YEARS now since DOCSIS 3.0 has rolled out and STILL power users are being ignored in favour of these absurdly low quality gateway devices Rogers has the nerve to refer to as "Enhanced" and "Advanced". 

</rant>

I'm Here A Lot

I was a DSL customer with Teksavvy a few years ago and called Rogers to cancel to make the switch to back to them with their cable offerings last month.  Really wanted to find a SB6141 that I could use since my SB5100 was so solid.  Teksavvy would only provision the modem if it had a very specific firmware version.    I didn't feel like driving to Buffalo and testing modems in a parking lot to make sure I got the correct one.   Anyway I got talked into staying with Rogers with some discounts....that did appear on this months bill that would pay for the new modem outright.

The fact they shipped the CGN3 with usb not working and port forwarding broken is beyond poor.  The hardware is very solid on paper with the Intel Puma 6 chipset with a MaxLinear 267 cable front end but I think provider FW was poorly tested for configurations that would be considered 'advanced'.    I only payed $139 for my CGN3 so I can walk away quite easily from this whole thing.  If anyone knows where I can buy a new SB6141 with FW 1.0.6.12 I just might.

I Plan to Stick Around

@opensolutions wrote:

I was a DSL customer with Teksavvy a few years ago and called Rogers to cancel to make the switch to back to them with their cable offerings last month.  Really wanted to find a SB6141 that I could use since my SB5100 was so solid.  Teksavvy would only provision the modem if it had a very specific firmware version.    I didn't feel like driving to Buffalo and testing modems in a parking lot to make sure I got the correct one.   Anyway I got talked into staying with Rogers with some discounts....that did appear on this months bill that would pay for the new modem outright.

The fact they shipped the CGN3 with usb not working and port forwarding broken is beyond poor.  The hardware is very solid on paper with the Intel Puma 6 chipset with a MaxLinear 267 cable front end but I think provider FW was poorly tested for configurations that would be considered 'advanced'.    I only payed $139 for my CGN3 so I can walk away quite easily from this whole thing.  If anyone knows where I can buy a new SB6141 with FW 1.0.6.12 I just might.

You don't really have to worry about the FW version when purchasing. Just buy the SB6141 and arrange to have it flashed. There are several people in the GTA, Ottawa, K&W, etc who will flash a TekSavvy compatible firmware to a 61x1 or 6580 Motorol while you wait for something like $10. That's how most people are doing it.

I Plan to Stick Around

What a disaster last night.  Smiley Mad

My internet started to slow down last night, looked like it was early stages of death so I did a reboot of the modem.  Waited for close to 30mins and it would not go back online... just sat there flashing lights.  Did a reset on the modem and finally brought it back up in Gateway mode.  Logged in to change it back to Bridge mode but it wouldn't change over!  It would reboot itself and then come back online as Gateway with the wifi on.  I tried it about 3-4 times including a factory reset in the gui but no dice.  I thought maybe Rogers did something to prevent it going into Bridge given the issues so thought I'd try it as is.

I then messed around to try and get it to work with my router (CGN3 as Gateway/DHCP, R7000 acting as a router only) for like an hour but could not get it working properly.  I followed the instructions for a DD-WRT router but it just wouldn't play nice.  At that point I had enough of messing around and finally called Rogers tech support at like 10pm and told them the issue; the 'tech support' person tried to change it to bridge mode from their end about 4 times with the same result.  She then asked me to try again (for some unknown reason) with no luck.  I asked her if she could push a firmware update or do a factory reset from their end and she put me on hold for like 10mins.  They proceeded to do a factory reset and then changed it over to bridge mode successfully... finally, after me messing around for like 2 hours trying to get back online.

What a pain in the rear, if they don't get this thing sorted out quick fast I'm going to go ballistic on someone shortly.  I hope Rogers is reading this thread and recognizes that the CGN3 as currently available is a total piece of garbage.  

I Plan to Stick Around

For some time now, it has been blatently obvious (in both implied and their people explicity telling us) that Rogers has no plans on going back to supporting modems, and their intent on keeping the list of allowed 3rd party devices to a minimum is also very apparent.

From a business standpoint, and to some extent from a customer's perspective as well, I wholeheartedly support this. By buying and deploying a very limited set of hardware they simplifly their support procedures, it lets them hire and train techinicians much faster, it allows them to streamline training and troubleshooting procedure manuals, and possibly most important, it saves them a LOT of money if they can hire less technically inclined people for their helpdesk level technical support without noticably decreasing the perception of the quality of their service too much. It is all about perception. Most support issues fall into two categories: 1) Error do to the end user - Plug in a cable, reboot a computer, etc... and 2) Signal Network error.

If the problem is end user error, Rogers would not want to waste the time of a senior technician to deal with this. First level support is enough most of the time. If the problem is due to Rogers' network, they send a truck. These two scenarios should constitute the bulk of the support tickets. Having talked with first level support quite a bit this past week, you can definitely tell that some are actually somewhat knowlegable to some degree while others, not so much.

Now, back to your point with regards to adding different hardware. Adding more hardware adds more complexities. It's much easier to train your employees to know the interface of 3 or 4 devices as compared to 10-15. Bring in different interfaces, different branding and the fact that some hardware vendors will have different terms for certain things, and all of a suddnen training people becomes incredibly hard. Instead of explict steps to, say, reboot a specific brand of modem (i.e. Go to Menu A, deselect the check-box B and you are ready to go), trainees must now opertate conceptially, as the person on the other end asking for help may not have a modem that the tech has ever worked with before, so (i.e., so you're going to want to go to the networking tab? Do you see something that says vlan? Let's try clicking that and see what happens). This will pretty much eliminate the possiblity for Rogers to hire less experienced people for their help desk, and in turn raise their costs. At the end of the day, it is their perogative to cut costs and maximize their revenue. They are a business, and if they don't do this due dilligence (which this is), they would not be running a tight ship.

HOWEVER

In deciding to limit the HCL to their network, Rogers' needs to make sure that the hardawre that they do select is flawless, and at this point, this is where they are falling short. Granted, there's a very limited selection of 24x8 devices out there. This particular device that we are dealing with is one of them, but it's not ready yet, and I feel that it was rushed out for whatever reason.

I have no problems living with a gateway devices *IF* bridge mode works. If it is working properly,  I shouldn't notice it. Ever. I shouldn't be questioning if I should be rebooting my device everytime a Internet hiccups or slows down. It should be a transparent box that I can stick up in my ceiling and forget is there, much like the CGN2 and the Cisco, and all the modems / gateway devices that have worked properly before. Unfortunately, that is not the case, and that's why we're all here reading this thread now.

So, I don't have any problem with how rogers is choosing to go with limited hardware, less technical helpdesk, and trying to cut costs. They're in business to make money. It's just their execution right now is not great.

I Plan to Stick Around

Vise, I had that happen to me too. It's almost like even if you reset it, it retains something in its nvram or eprom, so that when you put it back into bridge mode,  it's just back to suck. When all this was happening to me, I contemplated on staying in gateway mode, so went to the port forwarding section after I set the modem to default settings, and it would take 2 minutes for the modem to get me to the port forwarding screen. Really really weird.  After all that, my modem would just crash after an hour.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

These recent posts from vies and LYuan sound similar to what I posted in a different thread here regarding the CGN3 crashing when using the web UI.
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm going to go ahead and jump to a very, very abrupt conclusion: They are all related.

• Slow interface, screen loading time etc

is because of

• High CPU overhead in the router

caused by

• unknown and unwanted process with a possible memory leak

that in time, 

• eats up device resources, and increasing overhead

This causes

• High ping times on the LAN interface becasue the CPU is busy chugging away at that unwanted processs

and ultimately

• DIE DIE DIE!

But does this happen to everyone with the modem?  Or just everyone in Bridged mode? 

Does anyone have these modems working properly?  If not then why is Rogers, at least for the most part, denying that there is a problem.  If it is only a problem in Bridged mode that can somewhat explain this but otherwise it has to be costing Rogers money to be having to send out techs to everyone with these modes. 

@LYuan - can you please post, or at least PM me, the phone number for Rogers' Customer Advocacy department.  I can't find that under the Contact Us section of their web site.