Keep needing to reboot CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Keep needing to reboot CGN3

Well, you COULD have just a switch in line only between the modem and devices.. IF you were paying for multiple external IP addresses and having each assigned to individual devices internally, etc.

The likelyness of this happening though is very small.

Vise
I Plan to Stick Around

So I'm up to 44 hours of uptime so far with no issues, this is pretty much the longest its been working since I got the modem just over a week ago.  The only change as mentioned was plugging the CGN3 directly into a wall socket.  I refuse to believe that is the solution but that has been the only change in my setup aside from an update of the DD-WRT firmware on my R7000 router.

Will of course keep a close eye on things and update you guys as necessary.

LYuan
I Plan to Stick Around

So you are still in bridged mode? If this solves everyone's problem, I would be a) very surprised, and b) be screaming at Rogers for actually be okay with releasing a consumer grade product that is this suceptable what is every day levels of interference. Keep us posted! Anyone else with a CGN3 able to test this?
wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Here is one weird thing with this problem.

I have a VPS that is in the Netherlands and I had up an X-windows session running to that computer (it runs Ubuntu) using X2Go as my X-client.  That connection stays up when my CGN3 "crashes".  So I can actually browse the web remotely on that computer but I can't initiate new browser connections on my local PCs

wayner92

I am running in Bridge mode for the first time but I am plugged into a UPS.  I will see how it goes this way before removing the UPS.

By the way I had the gateway crash on my while I was browsing its web UI.  I don't think it was related to the main problem we are having but you never know.

SimplePanda
I Plan to Stick Around

@Frank_YYZ wrote:

Hogwash posted this last September, but his points bear repeating.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/1219...

It takes four wireless access points to cover my house.  They are already set up and I really don't need or want wireless capability built into my cable modem.  (And, no matter what the commercial says, one wireless router simply isn't going do my whole house!)

It shouldn't be a big reach for Rogers to offer modems.  The fact that they deliberately aren't offering modems is a craven, self-serving decision that attempts to maximize their monthly device rental income.  It's a short sighted strategy. 

Hitron makes a 24x8 DOCSIS 3.0 modem, the CDA-32372.

Given the symptoms described in this thread, it's likely that this modem would work OK.  (Well, I wouldn't bet a lot on it, but odds are it would be OK.)  

However, I have a question.  

Hitron bills this as a "modem" only, but the App Diagram they give in the link below shows several LAN devices connected to the modem with only a "switch" in between.  I always thought that you needed a full gateway/router with NAT, DHCP, etc. to hang multiple devices onto a LAN.

So either this "modem" is actually a gateway/router, or the diagram is in error.   If this modem actually acts as a full gateway/NAT router, then it could very well suffer from the same problems as the CGN3 since a lot of the internal code will be in common.

http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/cda-32372/

Rogers.  Please give us a plain high speed (24x8) cable modem!  Maybe even one that works for more than a day at a time?

Bridging modems with multiple devices works fine. Back in the day Rogers would actually let you buy multiple public IP addresses (they were like $9.99 or something for each extra one). You could then connect multiple devices directly to your cable modem via a hub and all of the devices would get public IP's. 

So I don't think the diagram is in error, no - just that Rogers really doesn't provide service in that model these days. 

gisuck

Ok. So it looks like gateway mode is stable. I'm 4 days without any noticable hiccups in the connection. Which is weird considering some people say gateway mode doesn't work.I'm not too sure why is.

Vise
I Plan to Stick Around

So clearly I spoke too soon...made it to around 48 hours uptime in bridge mode before things started lagging/freezing up.  Was getting 'Resolving Host' errors and pages not loading as before, a quick reboot of the modem solved the issue.  Bring on the resolution from Rogers engineering!  I did DM with @RogersHelps on Friday to add my info to the investigation and happy to pile on with any initiatives you guys have planned.

LYuan
I Plan to Stick Around

Vise, have you tried gateway mode? A few people have been having much better luck with it, although I have had nothing but issues in gateway. I feel like the device has to work harder and becomes unresponsive; especially if port forwarding is enabled. If you do try gateway, can you also confirm large fluctuations in latency between a local device and the local IP of the gateway device?

So I'm wondering when the customer advocacy guy called - Was that the result of the twitter dialogue I have been having, or was that the result of multiple calls to Tech support asking for supervisors or management.

opensolutions
I'm Here A Lot

LYuan and everyone in this thread,  I appreciate your efforts in trying to trouble shoot this issue.   I don't have much to add to the conversation but would like to offer a summation of what I know from this issue.

My info:  Hitron CGN3 - Bridged Mode, FW 4.1.4.4 or 4.2.4.1, 20x3 channels bound on 35/3Mbps tier and speedboosts upto 96Mbps.  All signal levels are good but Rogers indicates high level of packet loss 14%??.  Truck is here on Monday.  RG6 and Cat6 everywhere no spitters and cable is direct from the demarc to modem.  Both IP4 and IP6 connections with Rogers using 6To4.  Everything works really  well...when it works.

In bridged mode the modem will appear to not respond around the 36-48h mark and do so very consistantly.   This even happens when no one is home and useage is very low.  There are CGN3s in the field that are reporting over 100d of uptime on 4.2.4.1 in gateway mode.  When the modem does fail, some exisiting connections may continue to operate for a short time afterwards but only continuting doing what they are doing.  I cannot get to CGN3 modem IP address any longer and all WAN traffic is stopped.  My router (ASUS RT-AC66) reports WAN ethernet port to the CGN3 is up but no traffic.

I concur with the finding that it's looking like a Ethernet resource issue on the CGN3.  It was an interesting finding that LYuan made about the ping times to the various interfaces.  Mine are 0.3ms to the LAN interface on AC66, 0.32ms to WAN and 23.2ms to the CGN3 7.x.x.x IP.  Oddly pings to www.google.ca were 16.7ms at this same time!!

Unless you are getting a Cisco, gateway swaps have not helped anyone yet with this issue....and I bought mine so I am looking for a solution.