Keep needing to reboot CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Keep needing to reboot CGN3

Actually, rogers DOES let you buy a modem - On one of my many calls to rogers tech support over the last few days, the rep mentioned that there is a list of modems/gateways that you can buy that rogers will support. However, for this new 250/20 service, there is only one device on that list, and that's the CGN3.

I know that netgear has a 24x8 modem. I don't know if it will ever be made compatible with rogers' networks though.

I Plan to Stick Around

@LYuan wrote:

Actually, rogers DOES let you buy a modem - On one of my many calls to rogers tech support over the last few days, the rep mentioned that there is a list of modems/gateways that you can buy that rogers will support. However, for this new 250/20 service, there is only one device on that list, and that's the CGN3.

I know that netgear has a 24x8 modem. I don't know if it will ever be made compatible with rogers' networks though.

I think this is just a case of a rep giving you bad information.

If this was the case -all- the power users would know about it. Rogers offers:

- Original SMC Gateway

- Cisco DPC gateway

- Hitron CGN2

- Hitron CGN3

That's basically it for DOCSIS 3.0 hardware, and you can't buy your own. None very good options and no standalone modems.

I Plan to Stick Around

I have two friends using Rogers on the Thomson DCM476 - I actually installed it for them and called rogers to get it on the network. Not that it matters though in this case, as those are 8x4 modems, and wouldn't help here anyway.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I know you guys are getting frazzled by the situation. I know I am. But if we are going to have Rogers legimitately listen to this issue, it has to be with cool calm heads. We can't go into complaining how Rogers doesn't offer this that or the other. If they start seeing that kind of stuff in the threads, they will say "nothing we don't already know" and just completely discard all the other information here. Lets try keep this thread on topic, and to the point of troubleshooting the issue.

The next step would be to speak to a customer care manager to see if they can assist. If that doesn't work, then we have to contact the Office of the President. Before we contact the Office of the President, there has to be a record that an effort was made  to resolve the issue with the manager. The final step if all else fails is to contact the Ombudsman. 

After I've completed testing the gateway mode on my modem, I think my next step is to go back into bridge mode and have an installation of wireshark ready. I want to see if there's some garbage being spewed out of the LAN port as a possible cause to this issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

@LYuan wrote:

I have two friends using Rogers on the Thomson DCM476 - I actually installed it for them and called rogers to get it on the network. Not that it matters though in this case, as those are 8x4 modems, and wouldn't help here anyway.

I know quite a few people using 6121 and 6141 modems on the Rogers network as well - but you always have to dance around Rogers support to get these provisioned and if you outright concede what you're doing is getting a non-sanctioned modem on-line almost every support rep refuses to do it.

Back in the day IIRC Rogers would provision any DOCSIS 2.0 modem you had as long as you gave them the MAC address. I only wish they'd go back to this in the 3.0 modems.

I Plan to Stick Around

I've spoken to customer service already, but the problem is, there is a very notable disconnect between the book of canned responses that they read out of, and a very different book that tech supports reads out of. These two groups speak two different languages, and it's often hard to jump between one and the other without feeling like you are starting all over (again).

Right now, in my particular situation, I've gone back to the Cisco, and everything is fine; so at least I don't have to be on the phone with tech support anymore. My open threads are as follows:

Twitter: @rogershelps - I have an open ticket with them, and they are looking into the situation for me. I don't know how much they are actually going to delve into it, but it's something

Rogers: I have a truck coming next Thursday in the AM. I've instructed Rogers to have the technician bring a CGN3 with them, and fully intend on showing him that the problem is not with the connection or the signal. I just have to figure out a way to convince him to stay and NOT test my connection. Maybe I'll feed him some alcohol or something.

Beyond that, I really can't do much anymore - I've done my testing, and I know what's going on. I just need someone at rogers who is a) technical enough to understand what I'm trying to show them, and b) high up enough to be able to make a note of it and actually have someone follow up on that note.

I'm confident that this is going to get fixed and it is only a matter of time. Our internet is not getting any slower; it is a relatively new rollout with new hardware, and this type of stuff when going through a pretty significant change to their infrastructure is definitely not limited to Rogers as a company.

Mostly, the negative comments I do have are with individuals in the tech support and customer service teams who don't want to help, and just assume that what they are reading from their instructional manual is the be-all and end-all of their solutions, and in turn become condescending, rhetorical and sometimes rude to the customer, not even entertaining for a second that the person on the other line has been an infrastructure and security architect for almost 2 decades, and that he might actually know what he is talking about. They just put their nose in to that book and keep on reading the kool-aid . Ultimately that is what I find unacceptable. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm currently at 13 hours uptime since my last reboot, we'll see what happens today.  The only change I made was to plug the power supply directly into a wall socket (vs into the back on my UPS) based on some comments earlier in this thread.  Seems like it is rather unlikely that will resolve anything but worth a shot.  Will report back with an update later today.

@LYuan - What speeds are you getting with the Cisco?  Are you suppsed to be on the 250/20 Ultimate now?  Or still the 150/10?  Even if you get a lower download speed, what is your upload speed?

@Vise - Any idea why the UPS would make a difference?  I have mine plugged into a UPS. 

So assuming that nothing is fixed in the short term what is the best solution?  Switch to a Cisco with lower speeds?  I don't really mind that totally since I don't think I can really use my full 250Mbps download anyhow, at least not outside of servers based in Toronto. 

I have always got 24 hours between modem crashes - should I put it on a timer and just power cycle the modem every day at like 4am?

By the way, I have ordered a web power switch that is smart enough to cycle power to an AC outlet if it is unable to ping the outside world.  Not an ideal solution to use here but I have wanted one for other purposes for a while.

Highlighted

I got at DM from @rogershelps saying that the situation has been escalated to the network engineering team for further investigation.

So far persistence and patience is paying off.

I Plan to Stick Around

I spoke to an Internet support supervisor today named Robert - Very nice guy. Althought not too technical, he was actually very receptive to what I had to say, and I may have gotten somewhere. It may be small steps, but steps nonetheless. 

We started out discussing what I was trying to do, and I made it clear that I just wanted someone to see what I was seeing, and to confirm that what I was seeing was not normal. I also made sure that he was aware that I had already gone through 4 CGN3 devices and was on a Cisco now that was not exhibiting the issue and neither did the Hitron CGN2 that I upgraded from.

I made it very clear that I believed that the problem has something to do with the LAN interface on the CGN3, and that a very easy way to see what I was talking about was to compare the ping values on the LAN between that device and one takeng from a cisco or CGN2.

It turns out that they had a test unit for the CGN3 handy, and Robert agreed to go and do some pings. A few minutes later and came back and confirmed that he was getting pings between 2ms and 12ms on the LAN. He also agreed that it seemed pretty high, but was hesitant to conclude that it was a problem. He (and this is where the lack of a technical party slowed our progress down a bit) somehow decided to entertain the fact that 2 - 12 millisecond ping times "may be intentional". He said "well, maybe if I saw 50ms times it would be a real problem"

I had to convince him that in a case of two gigabit networking device pinging each other, even 2ms is several orders of magnitude over what should be acceptable based on fundamentals of networking. I did this by explaining to him that latency between hops are additive, and that both the CGN2 and Cisco modems do not exhibit this behavior. So if this is the case, out of the gate, both the CGN2 and the Cisco has less latency than their flagship model. This may have got through to him. I hope.

Anyhow, having established that something *may* not be normal, Robert conceded that if this is indeed a problem, this may be something that Rogers may not be able to do anything at the moment, and I the conversation basically boiled down to him asking me "What do you need me to do about it".

I told him that I was trying to help them out; that this *is* a problem, and that I just need this to get to the right person. I don't need it fixed right away; heck, I don't even have the modem anymore. I just need this to get to the people who can appreciate these numbers. He agreed to pass it on to his manager, and I guess we'll see what happens.

Ultimately, I guess I feel like I got somewhere; how far, I haven't the slightest clue. It's the amount of work and effort I need to put into this to get an inch of progress that makes it frustrating.

L.