Keep needing to reboot CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Keep needing to reboot CGN3

If he has a spare Cisco or CGN2 modem, ask him to bring it - Make sure he sees the LAN latencies. I'm convinced that the problem is not the modem's connection to their broadband network, but the actual LAN interface and some type of overhead that's eating up resources on the internal side. If you have two modems side by side:

1) Disconnect both modems from internet (just pull out the coax cable), assuming all factory default settings

2) Connect a computer to modem 1, and get an IP from DHCP.

3) Ping 192.168.0.1 -t and have a look at the behavior of the replies.

4) Disconnect th ecomputer form modem 1 and into modem 2.

5) Ping 192.168.0.1 -t and have a look at the behavior of the replies.

6) Ask the technician why one modem is replying consistently < 1ms, and why the other modem is skipping betwen 1ms and 20ms and everything in between.

7) *optional* handcuff him and keep feeding him milk until he admits there's something fishy going on. Make sure you keep a plastic bag handy Smiley Very Happy

L.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

It's a longshot but maybe we should try contacting Hitron as well?

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I ran into a problem with my service call.  

After waiting two days for the appointed time, a tech phoned just before coming and asked if my internet was working.  I said yes but gave him the story about my problems.  His response?  "If it's working now, there is nothing I can do, so I will just cancel this call."   When the tech calls before visiting, I suggest you either lie and tell him it isn't working, or, if you can live with the outage, don't reboot the modem after it fails so he can actually see it not working.  (Hopefully you don't have Rogers Home phone.)

It just happened that a production company was going to shoot a Rogers TV commercial on location at our house in two days.  I mentioned that heads would probably roll when all the Rogers and ad agency honchos showed up and wanted to email each other and couldn't because their modem was hung again.   (BTW, Rogers cell voice and data doesn't work worth a . in our house either.  But then, neither does Bell or Telus.)  About 10 minutes later, a dispatcher called and I again explained about the upcoming shoot.  About 5 minutes after that, I got a call from a clever tech who "just happened to be in the area".   I guess he really was in the neighbourhood because he showed up in record time.

He was good and swapped out the CGN3 for a CISCO that he had in the truck.   He told me (this was early December) that there were known "issues" with the CGN3 and that he had seen an internal memo about it.  I actually kinda felt sorry for him since he also had to go through voicemail . on an internal Rogers support line to do the swap.  (The Cisco is $4/mo cheaper than the CGN3 so the swap had to be done by "sales" rather than "internal tech support".)

The commercial they shot?  The one where a guy is betting all his neighbours that he can get hi-speed wireless streaming everywhere in his house using the CGN3.  Ironic, since I'd just had it ripped out the day before. 

I Plan to Stick Around

That's hilarious, but sadly, a bit unsuprising. The fact is, I'm sure that they are told NOT to admit that there is any problem with the modem until they actually solve the problem already. When they do fix it, it'll be "we have fixed a problem that some users were experiencing", and probably blame Hitron or something, and then that'll be the end of it. In fact, I wouldn't be suprised if the main purpose of said memo was not only to notify support folk of the problem, but specifically tell them what they should and should not say to the customers.

To be honest, if I was in their predicament, I would probably do the same thing, as if the cause was either a hardare problem or firmware problem, Rogers wouldn't be able to do anything anyway until Hitron comes up with a solution. As a business, it looks better if they can fix the problem and then send out some PR saying that their hard working engineers have identified the problem and have fixed it, rather then saying "yeah, we think there's a problem; have no idea what the eff is going on".

I get it; just sucks for us - for now.

For me, if you confirm that there is indeed a memo, then they are aware of it, and it'll get fixed at some point. When that time comes, I'll jump back onto the 20mbps up wagon.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well not sure I'm happy or not to have found this thread but it does appear to explain my issue exactly... have to hard reboot the CGN3 every day or so after the internet connection dies a slow death.  When it is up the speeds are amazing (I'm getting 326/21 on Ultimate) but clearly there are issues.  I've been pulling my hair out the past week trying to diagnose given I also installed a new router the day before the new modem (Netgear R7000).

I swapped out the modem the first day as I had an issue where it would not go back online after a reboot... but otherwise my symptoms are exactly the same as the rest described here.  Any suggestions on how to deal with Tech Support (aside from another useless modem swap) would be appreciated but it doesn't sound like there is a fix available yet.  

I Plan to Stick Around

If you have a twitter account follow and the DM @rogershelps. They're quite responsive, and a few of us have already started conversations with them. At least this way, we can make sure that they know, that we know, that they..know.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just for the info..

While the tech a few posts up, shouldnt have canceled the apointment as a whole.. they should have come and checked things ANYWAYS..

Beyond checking the signals, and making sure the modem boots up and connects.. is about the extent of what they are able to do Smiley Sad 

The are not trained usually in anything networking, and have no control and knoledge in even stuff concerning the provisioning on the modems.. upstream/downstream channels, etc.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Well, I've been up for 2 solid days without a hickup. I'm also working from home tomorrow so I'll be able to notice if things go sour for sure. Seems like my gateway functions are fine, just that bridge mode isn't working at all.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Hogwash wrote:

Yes, the bottom line is that ANY 8x4 modem will do 330 down and 150 up easily. Rogers is blowing smoke like they always do when they're trying to jam their latest and most expensive hardware down unsuspecting new users throats.

Until Rogers packages surpass 330/150 speeds then the 24x8 gateways are just EXPENSIVE unnecessary toys and produce NO real time current advantage on todays Rogers speed tiers.

This is pretty hyperbolic and not exactly accurate. 

Increased channel counts aren't just about performance per user - they're about congestion relief. I'd rather be on a 24 channel modem than a 8 channel modem, even at 150 Mbps (or 45 Mbps, or 32 Mbps, etc). 45 Mbps coming down over 24 channels means your modem needs to get less than 512 Kbps from each bonded channel to reach maximum provisioned speed. Far easier than trying to do so on a 4 or 8 channel modem.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Earache wrote:

Rogers needs to release a stand-alone modem end of story. For those technically inclined they can get it (such as I) all the rest can get a gateway.

I find it absurd that I have to pay $4 more a month to get Ultimate or I'd be paying more for less. I don't need their crappy wireless capability at all as my house uses powerline networking and I have a few wireless devices (on an Asus Darknight).

At this moment my modem won't even provision on the network so I literally have no house line (magicjack). I don't even have an option of switch provider (I don't like the TPIA) as Rogers owns every single line and fiber cable in my area.

It's literally a monopoly and I'm tired of this.

This.

How hard would it be for Rogers to offer a standalone modem? Even if it was a back-pocket item where you had to ask for it specifically, it would make the "power users" happy and those people are the ones who tell their friends.

I'm not a Rogers Internet customer right now (was for years). I've moved to TekSavvy. The 250/20 speeds have me looking at Rogers again as a potential switch-back but I see that Rogers still refuses to sell a standalone movem and then stories like these where it seems the only modem Rogers "blesses" for the 250/20 service is yet another unreliable piece of equipment...

Needless to say, not coming back from TekSavvy anytime soon.