Keep needing to reboot CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Keep needing to reboot CGN3

Yes, I am in Bridge mode.  I think it was up for 48 hours when I first installed it.  I got it Thursday night and installed at around 10pm.  I think it was fine until about 10 pm on Saturday.

Do you also see intermittent problems for 30-60 minutes before total failure.  I have a batch file that monitors pings to google every 5 minutes.  It is up and down a bit before complete failure.

I Plan to Stick Around

@LYuan. 

I see now. I agree you should have sub millisecond response time pinging in gateway mode. That is very strange.

Suggestion:

If the rogers device is more stable in gateway mode why not change the internal IP of the rogers gateyway to a different subnet and then Plug the external interface of the Watchguard into one of the Lan ports on the gateway(and no other devices into the other lan ports on the hitron). Then (and not sure the hitron does this) do a 1to1 NAT from the external rogers IP to the external IP of the watchguard and have firewall rules inbound/outboud as any/any allow? You still have the security of the watchguard and the hitron will not block any ports etc. Only issue I could see is the double NAT may cause VPN issues.

LAN Clients --> (192.168.50.1)WG(192.168.150.2) --> (192.168.150.1)Hitron(Rogers ExternaIP) -->Internet

I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, that is a good idea, and I considered that, but I was going under the assumption that gateway mode is actaully more reliable. I switched to gateway mode this morning and made it about 90 minutes before the modem hung. Weird thing is, tech support can see the modem, and can't see any problems, while I get a timeout trying to ping the gateway.

At this point, I've taken the watchguard completely out of the picture. I'm 100% on the CGN3, using its wireless, and cabled directly into the gateway from my PC, so as generic a setup as I can get. I've reset the modem to factory defautls, and am using its default network ID (192.168.0.0/24), so it's basically completely vanilla.

Even at these settings, when I ping the internal interface of the gateway (192.168.0.1), I still get these weird sparatic latencies.

Update:

I've changed to a 3rd modem: Brought it back, plugged it in, pinged 192.168.0.1, and still abnormally high and varied latencies.

There is somekind of process that is present on the modem. The two firmwares I've seen make no difference. I think it effects all CGN3s, and the problem is exasperated by heavier multi-connection use. The problem centers around how the gateway handles traffic on the local NIC side of things.

I Plan to Stick Around

One has to wonder if it has anything to do with the DNLA and filesharing etc extras residing on the gateway. perhaps bridge mode is not disabling them and causing a memory or buffer issue. 

Are those functions enabled by defualt on the gateway? I have the CGN2 in bridge mode so not sure what the defaults are.

Let's start a Twitter campaign on this.  I have tweeted @RogersHelps.  Can everyone else having the problem do the same?

Companies are now very concerned about their social media profile - maybe that will help to escalate the issue!

I Plan to Stick Around

Yep, I've started a conversation with them as well.

I think I've figured it out; at least what the problem is, and I'll try and explain - I think everyone's problem revolves around the following:

I believe that the problem stems from the CGN3's LAN interface. I came to this conclusion by comparing what I am experiencing during an outtage in bridge mode and also during an outtage in router mode, as I have experienced both, and I've called rogers on both of these occasioins to see what they see on their side.

In gateway mode, when I lose internet:

- I can no longer ping the internal interface on the CGN3,  so pinging to 192.168.0.1 from any local device stops working

- Rogers has no problems connecting to the modem remotely. They can also confirm that signals are withing spec and the modem from what they can see is working.

In bridge mode, when I lose internet:

- I can no longer ping the gateway IP (of my router)

- Rogers cannot ping my external IP address (in this case, it would be my router)

Like I mentioned in a previous post, when my connection is working in gateway mode:

- I can ping the local interface on the CGN3, or 192.168.0.1, but the latency for somethign being on a local network is suspect. Sometimes it times out, and as the device gets closer to hanging, I get higher latencies and more time outs

In bridge mode, when my connection is working, I can ping the gateway IP address. I'm sure the sparadic latencies of the LAN is there, but it is added onto the actual latency of pinging the external gateway, so it's hard to tell.

Like many have noted, when the connections actually drop, any exisiting sessions seem to work, at least for awhile, but any new sessions cannot be created.

Anyhow,  I'm going to call techsupp one more time and see if I can get an engineer.

L.

I Plan to Stick Around

Alright - So after some discussion, I can't get anyone to listen to me - As soon as I even imply that there might be something wrong with [all] the CGN3 devices out there right now, I get shot down. "It's our best device" they say, "It's our top of the line - My supervisor says there is NO WAY it's the modem".

I called tecnical support again - The gentleman on there was nice enough, but obviously could not help me - This problem is beyond any technical support person right now, and soley dependant on the software that is on the device. Anyhow, the person on the phone directed me to the online support so they could have a look at my desk top and so that I could show them my findings.

The funny thing was, the online person refused to help me.

"Sir, since you are connected to the Internet and chatting with me right now, It is evident that you do not have a problem with your connection, so I can't help you."

Other than the fact that he just made his own job completely redundant, I found that session rather unhelpful.

ANYHOW. I called back to tech support and booked a truck for next Thursday. My mission has changed. By . or highwater, I will make someone at rogers admit that there is something grossly wrong with the CGN3. I am going to sit that tech down in my living room, plug my laptop in to my current Cisco router, show him the latency, and then plug my laptop into a CGN3 and show him the latency on that, and them I'm going make him point ouit the difference. I'm going ask him what that difference means, and then I'm going to send him on his way.

As for now, I don't have to reset the thing every few hours.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for posting these test results.

This seems to describe perfectly what I saw with my two CGN3's before I abandoned them for a Cisco DPC3825.  (Although I never bothered to use gateway mode, only bridge mode.)  I usually had to reboot my CGN3 once or twice per day, although it once ran for a full three days!  I also noticed the slow-death where things would seem to get more sluggish until the unit died entirely.

Other than the ice storm, I have had only a couple of very brief (and self correcting) drop-outs since I changed out the last CGN3 six weeks ago.  So there is no doubt at all that this router was the cause of my headaches.

I don't need the super-fast upload and download speed.  But I'd really like my internet to stay up if I go on vacation so I can check up on the house.  It will be a tough sell for Roger's IP based security systems and IP phone services unless they get this fixed!

There are several other threads on this forum dealing with this issue.  You'd think Rogers would get the message and fix the firmware.  Or maybe use the stock Hitron f/w.  Or better yet, allow customers to rent/buy/use just a cable modem, rather than force them to use an unreliable wireless router.

Instead, they are advertising the CGN3 on TV as the ultimate wireless router that allows high speed streaming in all parts of your house.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately you'll likely get less far with the techs :(.
Other than signal strengths, etc most of them don't have the knoledge to know if the ping is good or bad 😞

We really need a better way to report these things.
I seriously hope they look at my ideabox idea for a proper big report forum for these types of issues so stuff CAN get to the right people.

Highlighted

@LYuan - I am with you on your mission to make sure that they realize that there is an issue with this.  I am PM'ing people here, on DHC and on DSLreports to bug Rogers.

Is it possible that there is something specific to a few of us that is causing these problems?  You would think that some Rogers folks, especially their executives, would have this service as well and would be experiencing the same grief that we are.

I have my truck roll between 4-6 tomorrow.  He will check the line, everything will be good, etc.  If he has a spare modem he will replace mine.  WIthin 48 hours it will drop again.  Once that happens, if he hasn't given me a new modem I will exchange it myself.