Keep needing to reboot CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Keep needing to reboot CGN3

I used to have an SMC modem setup in bridged mode and used my own router. I recently got the Extreme Unlimited (used to just have Extreme), and was told I need to update my modem. Not sure why, as I wasn't getting a faster package, just unlimited data. SO now I have the CGN3 setup in bridged mode. It works, sort of, but eventually my internet starts to slow down and then eventually stops working. Rebooting the modem seems to fix it. This happens a couple times a day. It never happened with the previous SMC modem, so this is whay I think it is the CGN3 that is the issue.

Rogers told me to exchange the CGN3 for another one. But I'm not sure if this will fix the issue. Has anyone else had this issue? Did swaping it out for a different one make any difference?

As a side note, I hate having the big gateways when I don't need them. Is there a plain modem I could get that would work with the Extreme Unlimited package?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Keep needing to reboot CGN3

I did experience exactly the same issue. CGN3 works much slower in bridged mode. Once I returned it to gateway mode - speeds were back to normal. As you mentioned that you are using CGN3 with your own router it does not make sense for you to have CGN3.

Go back to Rogers store and exchange your CGN3 for Cisco DPC3825, which works fine in bridged mode.

Unfortunately there is no modem available from rogers, but Cisco DPC3825 is a bit smaller than CGN3 and also costs $4 less a month to rent comparable to CGN3.

CGN3 works perfect in gateway mode, but for some reason it cannot perform as expected in brodged mode.

I've Been Here Awhile

Is the DPC3825 an option? I don't see it listed on Roger's modem page:

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/modems

I really wish rogers would just allow normal modems and not force these crappy all-in-one gatesways at us.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While the other units are not listed on the website, they will work, as long as you can get one.  You might have to try a few store, etc to try and find one.

Yes, Cisco DPC3825 is still an option and in the same category as Hitron CGN2 gateway (Rogers calls this category "Wi-FI modems" when in fact they are all gateways). If the your nearest Rogers store wouldn't have it in stock they will be able to order it for you.

I've Been Here Awhile

You say that the DPC3825 is in the same category as the CGN2, but I was given the CGN3. Does that matter? Will it work with Extreme Unlimited? I don't understand Roger's logic here, why couldn't I have kept my old modem when it was capable of the exact same speeds? All I added was unlimited data and I don't see why that required a new modem, and now I am having all these issues.

yes, Cisco DPC3825 and Hitron CGN2 are in the same middle-tier called "Wi-Fi Modems", however CGN3 is in the top tier called "Advanced Wi-fi Modems". The logic here is that Rogers' system for some reason does not allow reps to update internet plans to the most recent ones if they are higher than Express. That is why you were told that you need to upgrade your modem, I was told the same when I wanted to upgrade my older Express package to the updated Express.

SMCD3GN supports 4 downstream channels and 1 upstream, when current Extreme (Plus) package when bonded with more advanced gateway will allow you to bond 8 downstream channels and between 1-4 upstream channels.

So, basically there is some justification to upgrading a modem - you are getting more bonded channels.

However, there was absolutely no reason for Rogers to offer you CGN3 right away as "medium-tier" modems will do the job just fine.

CGN3 makes perfect sense for people who want to be on Ultimate package and receive top speeds. There has been reports that somebody was able to bond 16 downstream channels. Another major adv antage of CGN3 is top of the line Wireless on both bands but as long as you are using it in bridged mode - it is not appealing to you.

I am currently on Extreme package. With CGN3 I was able to bond 9 downstream channels, when Cisco DPC3825 is able to bond 8. I did not feel any differennce in speed and as the CGN3 was not able to perform effectively in bridged mode I ended up returning it and getting my Cisco DPC3825 back.

I've Been Here Awhile

I exchanged my CGN3 for the DPC3825 and it seems to be working just fine. Thanks for the suggestion.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I was in the same boat.  I went through two CGN3's over a two month period.  I had them bridged (and the f/w updated) by Rogers tech support as soon as I got them.  Sure didn't help.  I had to reboot them about once a day.  I tried to get a modem rather than router the second time, but the store employee claimed that they only had wireless routers that were fast ... no modems.

Eventually, a (really good) Rogers tech came to my house and exchanged the Hitron for a Cisco DCP-6825 that he had on the truck, once again in bridge mode.  Costs less money and has pretty well the same upload/download speeds as the Hitron.  So far so good, but it's only been two days so far.  He mentioned that Rogers had sent out an internal memo that the Hitron had issues.

That being said, what started all this was that my old Motorola cable modem used to lose connectivity occasionally.  (Although nowhere near once per day.)  I used to have problems where my main router (not supplied by Rogers) would give me a local IP address (192.168.x.x) rather than a real IP address when down.  But during these failures, I got a real IP address from Rogers but no DNS service.  No returned packets of any type, for that matter.  (There is a separate thread on Rogers DNS problems.)  This was the same thing happening with my Hitech units.  So, is it an issue with the Hitron in general, the Hitron in bridge mode, or is it a wider Rogers network issue?

Just wondering ....