cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just when I was leaning towards Samsung...

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

I've been waffling between the Droid 3 and the Samsung Galaxy S II, both of which are coming to Rogers soon according to a Rogers Business Rep.  After finding car and desk docks for the SG2S I started leaning in that direction.  Today comes the news that Google is buying Motorola.  Will Motorola now be the preferred brand?  Will they at least get direct updates?  Decisions, decisions...

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Just when I was leaning towards Samsung...

Mathieu
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Don't be afraid. Android isn't going anywhere.

Samsung will still make Android devices and Motorola, at first, will still make Android devices the same way.

The only thing that may change is that future Motorola Android devices (in 2012) may be more Nexus-like devices (w/o Motorola Blur UI).

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

BuckMacklin
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Samsung made the best Google Phone (Nexus S).

Google is not known for cutting off it's nose to spite it's face.  Samsung is going to continue to have any resourses from google that they need.  Samsung is a preferred vendor today, and will continue to be.  

This is about Patents.  Motorola has 'em, and Google needs 'em.   

Mathieu
I'm a Trusted Contributor
Don't be afraid. Android isn't going anywhere.

Samsung will still make Android devices and Motorola, at first, will still make Android devices the same way.

The only thing that may change is that future Motorola Android devices (in 2012) may be more Nexus-like devices (w/o Motorola Blur UI).

Unlocked
I Plan to Stick Around

"I've been waffling between the Droid 3 and the Samsung Galaxy S II, both of which are coming to Rogers soon according to a Rogers Business Rep"

Just saw this, did the rep say what the timeframe is for the Galaxy S II? My gf and I want to get the family plan and about a month and a half ago she went into a store the rep told her the Galaxy S II would be there in a month; she went back a month later and it was the Galaxy S 4G, and the rep said, "oh yeah, it isn't the S II" - useless.

We want to get the S II, but nothing offical as to when Rogers will get it - hopefully by Sept? Any idea?

Cheers and thanks!

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

@Unlocked wrote:

"I've been waffling between the Droid 3 and the Samsung Galaxy S II, both of which are coming to Rogers soon according to a Rogers Business Rep"

Just saw this, did the rep say what the timeframe is for the Galaxy S II? My gf and I want to get the family plan and about a month and a half ago she went into a store the rep told her the Galaxy S II would be there in a month; she went back a month later and it was the Galaxy S 4G, and the rep said, "oh yeah, it isn't the S II" - useless.

We want to get the S II, but nothing offical as to when Rogers will get it - hopefully by Sept? Any idea?

Cheers and thanks!

Unfortunately, no.  Getting useful information out of Rogers is somewhat problematic at best.  I consider myself lucky to have got the little I did.  However, research suggests that we might be getting a G2S with a QWERTY keyboard.  Personally, I'd be thrilled if that turns out to be true.  I wouldn't count on anything until October.  According to another poster there are supposed to be a slew of new phones coming out then.  Being that Rogers is always at least a generation behind, it would make sense that they'll wait until the G2S is no longer "state-of-the-art" before releasing it.  Don't worry -- it makes sense to someone at Rogers.

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

Seeing I've been so vocal a critic of Rogers and their lack of product selection I guess it's only fair that I publicly acknowledge the ability to pre-order/reserve the Samsung Galaxy S II LTE.  I have reservation number 6.

I don't yet know what I'm going to pay for the phone - so far it's a $40 "reservation fee" (refundable should I cancel or will be credited when I get the device)

I can't wait to get my hands on this baby!

Unlocked
I Plan to Stick Around

Do you have to be in the area that gets LTE? I don't see Montreal covered, would this prevent me from reserving the S2 that's for LTE? I don't really care if LTE is available, but want the S2.

Thanks

jckelly
I Plan to Stick Around

@Unlocked wrote:

Do you have to be in the area that gets LTE? I don't see Montreal covered, would this prevent me from reserving the S2 that's for LTE? I don't really care if LTE is available, but want the S2.

Thanks

No, you do not have to be in Toronto or Ottawa to reserve this phone AND Montreal will have LTE service by year end.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation