Just switched form a Torch 9810 to an iphone 4. Tech support Question

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Just switched form a Torch 9810 to an iphone 4. Tech support Question

Ok so about a week and a half ago I purchased an iphone 4 from a co-worker. I got a new sim card and everything. DId all the switching over of sims and all that jazz at a rogers wireless store. If I am out and about I can text/call easily with no problems for the most part. 

My current problem is that In my house I get no service but can acess the internet, and when im about I can get service but no internet. My current plan is 1GB BlackBerry Msg & MY10 with unlimited messaging and 200 local minutes and free evenings and weekends. Would I have to lock into another plan for another 3 years or just be able to change the current one? I don't really want to lock into another 3 year plan. I like rogers and everything, but I would much rather switch to another carrier for cheaper prices and plans. 

Another question I have is, Why doesn't rogers offer Call display as an add-on for like $3 a month or something like that? I don't want to pay an additional $12 for call display.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Just switched form a Torch 9810 to an iphone 4. Tech support Question

When you are at home, you are likely connected to your home wifi??? Likely why you are getting internet at home.

Why you likely are not getting any internet while out and about, is because you have a blackberry plan.  The blackberry, while it does use data, is normaly what they call a BIS plan (Blackberry internet service). All the data goes through blackberry, is compressed, etc... since you no longer have a BB, the data from the iphone, can not go through there.

Now, with changes since the begining of the year, you can change plans, with no penalty now.  You will obviously have to pay whatever difference plan wise every month, if the new plan is more expensive.

They DO offer call display, its just not really listed on the site anymore... i think its like $5.. but they dont list it anymore, since all the new plans, include caller ID in them.   So if you do change to a new plan, you would have your caller ID anyways.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

blackberry data plans are just like regular data plans, except rogers puts a specual APN on your ACCOUNT,  this APN is called blackberry.NET.  its actually on the ACCOUNT, as well as the normal INTERNET.COM access point, or its called something different now, but yea the same access point that the iphone uses is also enabled in the blackberry data plan, and all INTERNET traffic still routes through this apm,  the only thing is your new phone will not use the blackberry.net apn any more but it will still use your blackberry data plan just fine, it just wont be compressed data, and you will no longer have access to special blackberry services like push messaging, etc.   even new blackberries dont use the blackberry.net apn any more so i would not worry about it,  im also using a google android and i still kept my black berry data plan and no problems.  keep it your fine,

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello GDkitty

That is not correct. BIS data can still work on other devices just fine. BIS is for blackberries only to compress data like u said but the data will work on other phones. It will not compress data tho. The new BlackBerry 10 devices use normal smartphone data.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Huh.. I do appologise.. i thought it locked it out.  I stand corrected 🙂

Still doesnt explain then why the OP's data is not working then though 😞

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello GDkitty

No need to apologize!. mistakes happen:)

I would suggest the OP to go back to the Store & have the reps look over it. The OP can change the plan if they wish & see if that will help BUT they can not get that plan back if they switch.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct, if you switch, you cant go back to the old one...so compare plans CAREFULLY.

Compare minutes, texting, LD and calling areas, and amount of data with the plan.

Remember as well, that blackberries use ALOT less data (due to the compression), so using an iphone, your 'regular' usage may use more data, so be prepared for that when looking at plans.

IF they havent tried it yet, would a factory reset be probably a good idea?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello GDkitty

Just to correct you, The new Blackberry 10 smartphones ( Z10& Q10 & Q5 ) do NOT use less data, they use the same data as all smartphones. The older Blackberries ( Bold 9900,9780, 9700, 9800,9810) They all use BIS which compresses data.

AS you said, you are correct on the rest. Make sure you look at all the plans & see which one u want. You can also call in & see if the rep can add more!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sorry, i did mean to say that... i dont think my brain in working correctly today 😛

That the OLDER BBs will use less data.  The new z10/q10 dont..... seen more than my share of people who were previous BB owners who upgraded, FREAKING out that their data usage was higher.

I've Been Here Awhile

Nice but check it is locked or not by referring Google.com