Just got my iPhone 3GS stolen, what should I do?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Just got my iPhone 3GS stolen, what should I do?

This morning while I was on the subway on my way to school. I dropped my 3GS on the ground and just quickly threw it into the front pocket of my backpack. I had fallen asleep on the subway after a long studying session from the night before. When I had awoken, I had noticed the front pocket was open and my 3GS was gone. I spoke to someone from the TTC and they said I could call the lost and found. However, as soon as I got to school, I logged into mobileme and was able to track the phone to a nearby house in the York Village by my school. First thing I did was to take screenshots of this and remotely lock the phone. Within a few minutes I was unable to track the phone again. Probably because they performed a factory reset. In this case what is the next step I should take? Is this just a lost cause? What really makes me mad was that someone basically mugged me while I was sleeping on the subway and no one else on the train said anything about it. I know it’s incredibly stupid of me to fall asleep on the subway like that but I guess that’s just the life of a student. Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Just got my iPhone 3GS stolen, what should I do?

call the police, file a report.  you can buy another one, but would u want to after losing it already once? plus they  can get quite pricey

I'm a Senior Advisor

You can try and use the find my phone feature apple offers.

https://www.apple.com/mobileme/features/find-my-iphone.html

Take the information to the police. 

Call Rogers and cancel the phone. Unless they unlock it they shouldn't be able to use it. Also getting it turned off before they use your data or run up your bill somehow...

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rogers will blacklist their IMEI for some customers (making them unusable on the Rogers/Fido network), so you ought to call them and ask. I think it needs to be reported via the Handset Protection program. I am not sure what their criteria is. For some, they refuse, for others they blacklist. If you are really lucky, they might register the IMEI in the EIR program, which will render it unusable on something like 40 carriers around the world. They tend to reserve that only for phones stolen from their stores, as a way to discourage robberies at the stores, but who knows, maybe they will. 

I've Been Around

Call Rogers ASAP !

Community Manager (Retired) RogersErin
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Carson,

I'm sorry to hear that.

If you called Rogers and reported your phone lost or stolen, or suspended it online through rogers.com, the line would have been blocked from any further use to avoid you incurring usage.

Please contact Rogers at 1-888-ROGERS1 (764-3771) or 1-416-935-5555 to report your phone as stolen.

Also, you can review information on Rogers Handset Protection Guarantee here.

Thanks

Rogers Employee WiseD
Rogers Employee

@KWRogers wrote:

Rogers will blacklist their IMEI for some customers (making them unusable on the Rogers/Fido network), so you ought to call them and ask.

This is not something that Rogers or any carrier has the power to do. There are too many ways for that to backfire that its not something that can be done (ie how does the carrier know that the device wasnt sold, etc). The blacklisting of devices from stores is completely different as there is no doubt what happened with the device (it was stolen).

As for what to do now I would definitely go to the Police with the screenshots that you have. And definitely call Rogers ASAP to have the line blocked so the person with the device cant use your SIM.

Goodluck!

I'm a Reliable Contributor

This is not something that Rogers or any carrier has the power to do. There are too many ways for that to backfire that its not something that can be done (ie how does the carrier know that the device wasnt sold, etc). The blacklisting of devices from stores is completely different as there is no doubt what happened with the device (it was stolen).

As for what to do now I would definitely go to the Police with the screenshots that you have. And definitely call Rogers ASAP to have the line blocked so the person with the device cant use your SIM.

Sure they could do it. I know people that Rogers has done it for.They will usually avoid doing, perhaps for the very reason you gave, that being they cannot be sure it is legitimately stolen and not actually sold to someone else. 

Of course, the glaring holes in that argument are 1) why would someone sell a phone and then report it as stolen and further have it blacklisted? They might see that as fun, but it doesn't really benefit them. 2) If Rogers required a copy of a formal police report, then if there was any hanky panky with the report, the person filing the report would be guilty of filing a false police report and fraud. Probably not worth it and it would cover Rogers from any liability. So, no real benefit and a major downside to people falsely reporting phones stolen to Rogers and asking to have them blacklisted.

But yes, the reasoning for the EIR is completely different, that being to remove a reason for anyone to steal from a Rogers stores, especially the violent robberies they had not so long ago. Of course, this same reasoning could apply to customers. If all of the Canadian carriers offered to blacklist/add to EIR all phones that were properly and formally reported as stolen from consumers, then the same reasons that would make stealing from a store unattractive would apply to person phones as well.

Rogers Employee WiseD
Rogers Employee

@KWRogers wrote:

why would someone sell a phone and then report it as stolen and further have it blacklisted? They might see that as fun, but it doesn't really benefit them.  

Indeed it doesnt make a lot of sense but the fact that it is possible makes just calling in and wanting it blacklisted not possible.

@KWRogers wrote:

If Rogers required a copy of a formal police report, then if there was any hanky panky with the report, the person filing the report would be guilty of filing a false police report and fraud. Probably not worth it and it would cover Rogers from any liability. So, no real benefit and a major downside to people falsely reporting phones stolen to Rogers and asking to have them blacklisted.

If the Police are involved then that does change things. Your post that I quoted didnt mention the Police; just calling in have it blacklisted. When Police are involved there really is no can or cant compared to non-authorities calling in. Obviously if the Police are involved then it is for real (and consequences for fakes are much higher).

I've Been Here Awhile

So I filed a police report yesterday, I gave all the information I had including the address of the house I was able to track it to. The police officer I spoke with was surprise I was actually able to track it to a house. He asked for the phone's serial and IMEI number which I was surprised by that but he said that Rogers have told them to ask for this information when taking cases like mine. I'm hoping that the police and Rogers will be able to work together to help track down the phone. If not at the very least the scumbag that stole the phone from me. I hope this will scares him so in the future he thinks twice about pulling this same **bleep** on another person. Right now I'm just waiting to hear back from them once they assign a detective to the case, which should be by Monday from what I was told. They said to call back Monday if I still haven't heard from a detective yet. I'm glad to hear that the police aren’t taking these types of cases likely.