cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jelly Bean For Samsung Galaxy S3

Belmont45
I've Been Around

Samsung has been rolling out Jelly bean 4.1 for Samsung S3 users in Poland. So I was wondering when will Rogers be Rolling out the update for its' Samsung galaxy  users?  

****Edited Labels****

198 REPLIES 198

Re: Jelly Bean For Samsung Galaxy S3

todorcim
I Plan to Stick Around
First Rogers has no bloatware on the s3 that can not be download through the market...second there is no rogers boot screen on the s3 its stock samsung through and through.

The update to 4.1 should be here and installed already no excuses like i said before if some kid in his basement can throw a rom together the day of source release theres no reason a multi million dollar company cant put on an update....ive been running jelly bean on my sgs i9000 for at least 2-3months now along with ics on my lg optimus one for almost a year....
Its about money not development with these companies it takes hours to days to compile a rom be it offical or custom.
Why update when they can just sell you the next shiny new phone.

Neonridr
I Plan to Stick Around

Anyways, back to the topic of the thread.  Brand new Galaxy S3 owner here, just upgraded from a Blackberry Torch 9810.  Must say, this phone is ridiculously sweet.  I got the pebble blue and at first was worried that the white was better, but after looking at this thing when I opened the box, I knew it was the right color for me.  Was worried about the Android experience as I have an ipod touch 4th gen and an iPad so I am very familiar with ios.  Anyways, verry happy with the phone so far, and can't wait to start digging into the heart of the phone and learning what it can truly do.

I am itching to get the JB update, any more news on when we can expect it.  Late November is so vague..

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Neonridr

No news as yet. Still saying "late November". Rogers wont announce anymore news then that unless some blogs and website get leaks.

This brings back so many memories from when Rogers released the first Android phone the HTC Magic. I ended up getting one  running Cupcake. As updates appeared on other carriers around the world, us Rogers customers were left wondering if we would ever see any. Eventually we did get ONE update and that was the only one we would see. Years later it seems Rogers is still holding back. The decisions are based on financial planning so don't get your hopess up.

Root your phone and add custom Roms or get a Nexus device, no more waiting. The Nexus 4 is coming out tomorrow and you can stick it to Rogers.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
So 2 more weeks to wait for the " Late November" update. Lets see if Rogers will actually push the update out within the next 2 weeks or are they going to edit the post with another time?. Hmm

BGrant
I Plan to Stick Around

You don't need to be highly technical to root your phone, you only need to know how to read and follow instructions.  It's quite simple to remove any of the Rogers bloatware, and we've stripped it all off our phones from the Galaxy Captivate to the Galaxy S3. 

In fact, you can even reset the counter in the phone that shows you've rooted it.  If you read up on it a little bit, it's absolutely no problem and you won't void your warrenty. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello BGrant

You guys seem not to understand that none tech savvy people do NOT care about rooting & rather stay safe then have issues. I have read over thousands of posts on XDA & other places where people have watched the videos & followed the steps & even then, somehow bricked the phone OR did something to it.
I understand its easy & such BUT most of the people rather get updates from the carrier / Samsung then going threw all this. Just because you guys think its easy & nothing will happen, does not mean nothing will happen to someone else..

Anyways we have a week left for them to send out the 4.1 update to us. Lets see if they will or won't. Remember, blogs have posted on their website the OS Upgrade Schedule from Rogers as well & if Rogers does not deliever, many people will be upset.

Nitin
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers has 12 days left to update and considering Telus has given a similar date so unless there's a major setback but with only 1.5 weeks to go I'm hoping that all testing is going well. Hopefully the update will come out sooner rather then later since we are now in late-mid november. Come on Rogers! Surprise us all and give us an update in the next couple days. 

todorcim
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers has no say on updates!!the only reason they hold updates so long is to in courage you to buy the new fancy phone...the longer you hold the update the more chance you will get fed up waiting and go get another phone.This is proven with companies like LG.
There is no rogers skin on the s3 it is stock TW(touchwiz).there is no reason to hold back updates as all rogers apps are downloadable through the market.The S3 should be running jelly bean its been quite awhile since the international version has getting jelly bean and sprint and T-Mobile already have the update(funny how T-Mobile sells the i747 but we don't have the update..

Come rogers what's the hold up!!??

caldigital
I Plan to Stick Around

To say Rogers has no say in updates is totally incorrect.  They do test release updates provided by Samsung to ensure it properly functions on their network.  They have sold numerous S3's to customers and do not want a bad release causing an influx of unhappy support calls because they didn't do their due dilligence.  This is known as "carrier testing".

As for skinning, while the customization on the S3 by Rogers is light, they do bundle in the Rogers app into the update.  Again, they must test these apps for the release.

Your statement about T-Mobile releasing it already for the SGH-i747 is also incorrect.  T-Mobile in the US uses the SGH-T999 model S3 as they use different frequencies and don't have an LTE version.

gurnblansten
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers is slow and near to last for updates on any phone - they have to vet/approve any update(s) and Samsung will post to Kies. When available we'll be able to update our slaved to Rogers phones. Basically unless rooted and able to run custom MODS waiting on Rogers is painfully slow - after you see/read AT&T in US getting the updates expect Rogers to follow. They basically use the same network (Who you Roam with most places in US) and phones.

Hello there,

I did disable all Rogers apps, (exluding MyAccount for I use it).

I tap "Uninstall Updates" then after uninstalling, the apps will downgrade then the option "Disable" will appear.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello gabby131

That does work but both Rogers & Samsung Canada tech support notified me that it will enable once you restart the phone or do a factory reset. This is something they told me & i am NOT saying this on my own. While i does disable the app, it may cause issues as well from what they told me.

Thanks for letting us know tho:)

Its 21st of November & still waiting.  We have a week & few days left for them to give us the update. Lets hope they keep their promise.

Preem
I've Been Here Awhile

Last I've seen about this was the expected release date for Rogers is "Late November".  

We have only a week left in November. Anything more specific as to a date we can expect to see this update come through? 

Thanks

@Meowmix wrote:

Its 21st of November & still waiting.  We have a week & few days left for them to give us the update. Lets hope they keep their promise.

lol first time dealing with a rogers android update?  Most definetly will be delayed.  

I was so happy when i rooted and flashed my i897 captivate.  without touchwiz it is so much faster.  And i've been running JB since about july/august, currently on 4.1.2, samsung stopped updateing my phone at 2.3 lol.  

Manufactureer updates delays are such a joke, group of amatures on XDA can get it up and running in weeks in their spare time and manufacturerers with an army of full time proffessionalswith best knowledge of the hardware takes months... embarassing doesnt even begin to describe it.

Bet the farm that ill be on Key lime before you even get 4.2 🙂

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Best to keep this to the android forum, there are threads there which keeup more up to date on this, and more android users discussing it.

Preem
I've Been Here Awhile

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Preem

GDkitty is correct. In thr Android section, you will find more info on this topic. as for the thread your posted. I

t does not matter where that thread was posted. That thread was posted by Rogers. They added that sticky thread there for a Reason and its not only for Androids. they posed updates for blackberry and Apple as well. Also please make sure you use the Search function before making a thread that has already been made. This thread was already been made in the Android forums. As for your question, Rogers nor anyone will givr you the answer your looking for. They are going to release the update when they are. They just posted " Late November" as what they got from the backend team. They have no other info. Please post in the thread i have linked. Thanks

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Android/thread-id/12817/page/6

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello master28

Oh believe me i know. I owned the First Android Rogers carrier which was the HTC Magic. Believe me i know. lol.

The problem is Rogers, not Samsung. Rogers has had the update since it was released. They wen public saying " Late November". Lets hope tho they keep their word because if they do not & Bell or Telus releases it first & Rogers last, problems will happen then.

Agreed. The developers on XDA can make & release a update faster then Rogers. Anyways lets just hope they release the update to us within this week.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Here we have it people. Rogers once again change the status from " Late November" to " Early December"

I guess Rogers does not seem to understand to at least give us the update when the first said it. Hmm more angry customers coming a long now. It seems that they can not keep up with their words.

Smartphone
Software Version* Release Date**
Samsung Galaxy S III LTE (SGH-I747M) Jelly Bean (4.1)  Early December
Samsung Galaxy S II LTE (SGH-I727R) Jelly Bean (4.1)  Late December
Samsung Galaxy Note (SGH-I717R)  Jelly Bean (4.1)  Late December
Motorola Razr HD Jelly Bean (4.1)  Late December
Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) Now Available
Sony Xperia Arc S (LT18a) Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) Now Available
Sony Xperia Arc (LT15a) Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) Now Available
Sony Xperia Mini Pro (SK17a) Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) Now Available
Sony Xperia Pro Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) Now Available
Sony Xperia Ion Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0) Now Available

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello master28

Oh believe me i know. I owned the First Android Rogers carrier which was the HTC Magic. Believe me i know. lol.

The problem is Rogers, not Samsung. Rogers has had the update since it was released. They wen public saying " Late November". Lets hope tho they keep their word because if they do not & Bell or Telus releases it first & Rogers last, problems will happen then.

Agreed. The developers on XDA can make & release a update faster then Rogers. Anyways lets just hope they release the update to us within this week.

It's a 2 fold problem, from what i can tell JB released July 7, samsung didnt release till end of sept.  That is the only thing i find appaling, it really shouldnt take that long.  Samsung makes great phones and I expect better from them for their top phone.

Rogers is a different story noone should expect anything good from them they just plain suck.  (as evidenced by the delay once again of the release of JB for a flagship phone.