Jelly Bean For Samsung Galaxy S3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Jelly Bean For Samsung Galaxy S3

I found that on my S3 that you can't disable all the Rogers apps like 1 Contacts and My Account. 

For those who are complaining about the "late november" release.

There are two different devices of the S3. Global version and the North American version. Within the North American version there are three different versions with different number code for each (one for each carrier). So for Samsung to release a 2.1 JB to so many versions of S3 plus they need to add their Touchwiz UI, and other apps etc...

Then when they are done after testing for errors they send it over to the carrier in this case Rogers, where they add their own apps inside and then they need to do testing. Its a long process so be patient! 

PS: Good job Meowmix for handling the situation so professionally

Highlighted
I've Been Around

This is the biggest reason why I haven't boughten into the Andriod vision yet.

Fork upon fork.

It shouldn't take this long to get an update out for your flagship phone.  I haven't read the whole thread but what version of Jelly Bean is Samsung working with? I assume 4.1, which means it'll  already be out of date before it even makes it to the phone.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Sam_15

That is correct. You can not uninstall those Rogers apps on stock software. Like you showed in the image, its not possible.

Thank you. I tried not fighting / arguing about it.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Tummon

Well Android has features that no other OS ( Exp Blackberry) Had in their OS before hand. The OS updates are controlled by the carriers after the Manufacturer releases them. Its up to the carrier on how long the testing will be & sending it out. Samsung has not done anything wrong here. Its Rogers that is taking way to long on it.

Rogers will say " Its up to the Manufacturer to give us the update" But it all reality, the Manufacturer does give the update to Rogers but they are the ones testing it out on the network & making sure everything works correct without any issues. If they find issues, they will fix the OS & try again.

This seems like a big wait but in the end, you will have a OS without major issues.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

You can get rid of the rogers apps root your phone and unistall....thank you im here all week.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello todocim

Yes you can BUT without the root, you can not delete them or remove them. This is what i & the other user are saying.

Not everyone roots their devices & such.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Everyone should root there devices is what im saying.....its open sourced for a reason...if my 57yr old father can root and flash cm10 on his sgs i9000 everyone should be able too lol
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Reguardless other then modems and build numbers theres no reason rogers jelly bean update should not be out......all there apps you can download from the market....and if some kid in his moms basement can port a build why cant a multi million dollor company?how long has the s3 been out?it is a flagship? phone correct "the next big thing"?

Come on lg has 4.2 and there probly the worse cell phone manufactuer in the world lol
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello todorcim

That is correct but not everyone feels the need to root / want to root. Normal people rather use the software it comes with. ONLY tech savvy want to root & change the software & such.

Not everyone wants to go threw the progress of doing this & remember if you are new & lets say you root the phone & you still read on how to do it, there is a chance of bricking the phone & not ever getting it to turn on. XDA has thousands of threads exactly like this.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

On your second post.

Also remember, the carriers need to do testing on the phone to make sure the all the networks need to work fine without any issues. They need to test their bloatware & add the Rogers boot screen as well.

All this should take a month. Rogers & most of the carriers in Canada are known to take months for them to release a update. ITs not new.