Issues with the Captivate

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Issues with the Captivate

My Captivate arrived on Friday so I've had a few days to try it out.  While there are so many things I love about it, there are many things driving me crazy that I'm considering returning it.  Thought I'd present my issues here to get some feedback.

GPS - Doesn't work at all

SMS Timestamps - seem to be okay while at home (GTA) but I was in Winnipeg this weekend and all incoming SMS were timestamped five hours early.

Battery Life - Even with minimal use and no live backgrounds, my battery is expiring in a matter of hours. I did charge it fully before using, but perhaps there's more battery priming that needs to be done?

Kies - I find it hard to use and am struggling to find a way to load my Captivate with music.

Charger - The power adapter easily falls out of the plug (on the phone) and the phone is very hard to use when plugged in (with the plug at the top)

Notifications - Is there a way to distinguish alerts for different types of notifications?  I'd like to know audibly if I've got a new text, email or Talk message.

Any thoughts and feedback are appreciated.

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Issues with the Captivate

I don't have a Captivate, but I am familiar with Android in general, so I'll try to help you out...

GPS - there are lots of free apps that will allow you to enable and test the GPS.  GPS has to be enabled in settings before it will work - it won't just come on when a program asks for data from it.

SMS Timestamps - I'm not sure if this is a Rogers issue or not.  I'm in Manitoba, but not Winnipeg.  However, when I visit the city, my text message timestamps are out as well...

Battery Life - tough call.  Usually, the batteries obtain full capacity after several full charge-discharge cycles.  I know the documentation doesn't say that, and others may correct me saying that procedure is for older NMH batteries, but it can't hurt to try.  Is your WiFi turned on?  That could cause a drain as well.

Kies - don't know what this is, but for what it's worth, I use Winamp to sync music to my android phone and it works quite well.

Charger - if the charging plug doesn't seat properly in the phone, it's not going to get any better.  I would suggest having someone look at it for repair or replacement.

Notifications - there should be a section in the Android settings that will allow you to specify different ringtones for different types of events.  You can also edit your contacts and give specific people their own ringtones.

Hope this helps.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

GPS - Aside fro turning on the GPS, the advice to get a GPS test app is the best place to start. Search for "GPS test" in the Android Marketplace.  With GPS test you'll be able to see if you're receiving any satellites.  You sometimes have to be a little patient the first time the GPS starts at a new location. It can sometimes take several minutes to get a position.  Turning on "Use wireless networks" on the Location and security settings screen can help speed up the process.

SMS timestamps - I'm in EST so I'm not experiencing the problem.

Battery life - I'm getting good battery life, but you have to be careful to not leave apps running.  Use the Active Applications app to kill apps that you don't want.    There's a Samsung widget called Program Monitor that you can put on the idle screen.

Kies - The app is a little quirky, but it will sync contacts and calendars with Outlook. I haven't tried to sync music with it.  Windows Media Player will sync music, however I've found that it doesn't include the album art for some reason.  You can always transfer music by brute force using the USB Mass Storage mode. 

Highlighted
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

@hogger_jeff, @AdrianS

Thanks for helping out and offering your solutions and comments.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

in regards to the charger..try this

have you opened the slider that covers the usb slot fully? try opening it fully if you haven't because it tends to stop at a spot that isnt fully open

hope this fixes the issue

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

GPS

Try using GPS Test.  It will show you the connections to the sattelites, signal strength, accuracy, etc.

SMS Timestamps

This is a known issue on the Rogers network.  See this thread.  There is a workaround: install SMSTimeFix.  It's only a workaround though as it will need to be adjusted on daylight savings time or if you change timezones.

Battery Life

There is an issue with wireless on the Captivate.  For some reason after you use wifi the phone no longer goes in to sleep mode, even if wifi is turned off.  See this post or this thread for details.  The workaround is to restart or reboot the phone after using wifi.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

What DDL said - make sure that the USB port slider is all the way open, so that it clicks. If you can still slide the slider back and forth, it is not all the way open.

Also, as others have said, battery life gets SIGNIFICANTLY better over time. But you probably already know that. 🙂