cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with LG TV, LG Home Theater and Rogers HD Box

burnside8157
I Plan to Stick Around

So I have a LG 47" 3D TV and just bought a LG Home Theatre system.  My ROgers box is a Pace 551 HD. 

I'm having issues getting both sound and video together.

Here is what I've tried.

Plug HDMI from Rogers to Blue Ray HDMI IN.

Plug BR HDMI (TV Out) to HDMI (ARC) on TV.

I get sound but no picture.

Plug Rogers into HDMI 2 on TV

Plug BR (out to TV) to HDMI ARC on TV.

I get picture but no sound from surround sound.

Why am I having a hard time setting this up?  Roger's site tells me that my box should plug into the BR and then from the BR to the TV but it doesn't work. 

The cables are good as they transport both Video and sound but not together.

Help.

Thanks

***Edited labels***

15 REPLIES 15

Re: Issues with LG TV, LG Home Theater and Rogers HD Box

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
On your 2nd configuration, with the Rogers straight into the tv, do you get both sound and audio? Obviously not surround sound, but from the tv?

If yes, it sounds more like a issue with the surround sound player. I'm assuming it's one of those blue ray/ surround combos? I have never had much luck with those. They seem barely made to pass through a signal (compared to a full blown surround sound system)

I have a 47" lg smart tv, the non 3d version, so very similar. It works fine when passing through my onkyo surround sound. Mind you I have a different Rogers box as well.

burnside8157
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, on my 2nd input type, I get sound from the TV only.  The Blue Ray will not use the ARC function and get sound from the TV.

EDIT:

I can play a Movie using a CD or listen to the radio without any issues.  Just cna't watch TV and use the 5.1 or have the 5.1 TV sound but no picture.

burnside8157
I Plan to Stick Around

Update:

I called LG and they walked me through and figured it was adefective Blu-Ray.  So I brought it back to Futureshop and exchanged only the BR.  Updating the firmware and hopefully this all works now.

burnside8157
I Plan to Stick Around

Update #2

Same issue with new blu-ray.  On phone with Rogers now

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Hmm, first thing might be a box swap ( if you are renting). Iliminate that box out of the equation

Could just be In the end that that box doesn't work nicely with the surround sound (but fine with others).

I have also have all LG equiptment here is my set up hope it helps:

Cable HDMI in to TV

xbox hdmi in to TV

blu ray hdmi in to TV

wii component in to TV

optical out from TV to Bluray optical in (which is my receiver)

I have found this set up works great with or with out LGs simple link.

@appleisskynet wrote:

I have also have all LG equiptment here is my set up hope it helps:

Cable HDMI in to TV

xbox hdmi in to TV

blu ray hdmi in to TV

wii component in to TV

optical out from TV to Bluray optical in (which is my receiver)

I have found this set up works great with or with out LGs simple link.

while the OP's setup.. SHOULD work, thank you for posting this, for an alternative option for them.

mousetamer
I'm a Trusted Contributor
The only issue with the above is that most TVs don't pass surround sound out of the optical connection except for what the ATSC tuner pulls in. You may want to check the manual of yours to see if it does or does not. Also, make sure that the wii audio is connected as well as the component cable.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I just looked up the pace hd box, and it does have an optical out, so could go straight from the Rogers box to the surround with optical for audio, while otherwise for video.

burnside8157
I Plan to Stick Around

Sooo, after talking to Rogers, this is what they told me.

I had to use RCA cables from the rogers box to the Blu-Ray to get sound.  WTF!!!!

Why do I have to use RCA cables when the HDMI tranfers both audio and video?

Well it all works now but it's weird.  I'm not spending any more money right now by buying an optical cable because I'm malso just bought a new bed and have to pay for that.

If you can think of other solutions, let me know.

Thanks all.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
RCA wont pass through surround sound, only stereo. Unfortunately, many of the Rogers phone people, while they may know the box, are not tv audio/video experts.

Your original set up SHOULD work. Again I come back to it being an incompatibility between that box and surround sound. While not common, can happen. Sorry I don't have more experience with the pace box.

appleisskynet
I Plan to Stick Around

I understand if you dont want to spend on an optical cable but I must admit it makes this simpler since you dont need to change inputs on the sound system and it makes for less cables. Glad that things are working tho 🙂

wprager
I've Been Here Awhile
If you've got multiple inputs to the tv (not just the Rogers box) then the only set up that makes sense is what appleisskynet posted. The tv is getting the digital audio via HDMI and then outputs the audio via TOSlink to the receiver. This way, no matter which input is playing on the tv you always get the audio to the receiver. There may be an issue as some LG sets will not pass through all the audio signals (e.g. I've got the LW5700 and apparently it doesn't pass-through DTS audio).

burnside8157
I Plan to Stick Around

wprager, 

I have the LW5700 also.  I'm baffled as to why the lG system won't pass the Rogers HDMI video signal to the TV.  I have friends and also family who have similar setups and it works fine.

I will be calling Rogers back tonight to see if I can get someone with a bit more knowledge and see if I need to change my Rogers Pace box.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor
Why not
Rogers HDMI -> Bluray
Bluray -> HDMI2

No need for the arc...
Topic Stats
  • 15 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 6 in conversation