Issues with LG TV, LG Home Theater and Rogers HD Box

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
burnside8157
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Issues with LG TV, LG Home Theater and Rogers HD Box

Sooo, after talking to Rogers, this is what they told me.

I had to use RCA cables from the rogers box to the Blu-Ray to get sound.  WTF!!!!

Why do I have to use RCA cables when the HDMI tranfers both audio and video?

Well it all works now but it's weird.  I'm not spending any more money right now by buying an optical cable because I'm malso just bought a new bed and have to pay for that.

If you can think of other solutions, let me know.

Thanks all.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

RCA wont pass through surround sound, only stereo. Unfortunately, many of the Rogers phone people, while they may know the box, are not tv audio/video experts.

Your original set up SHOULD work. Again I come back to it being an incompatibility between that box and surround sound. While not common, can happen. Sorry I don't have more experience with the pace box.

appleisskynet
I Plan to Stick Around

I understand if you dont want to spend on an optical cable but I must admit it makes this simpler since you dont need to change inputs on the sound system and it makes for less cables. Glad that things are working tho 🙂

wprager
I've Been Here Awhile

If you've got multiple inputs to the tv (not just the Rogers box) then the only set up that makes sense is what appleisskynet posted. The tv is getting the digital audio via HDMI and then outputs the audio via TOSlink to the receiver. This way, no matter which input is playing on the tv you always get the audio to the receiver. There may be an issue as some LG sets will not pass through all the audio signals (e.g. I've got the LW5700 and apparently it doesn't pass-through DTS audio).
burnside8157
I Plan to Stick Around

wprager, 

I have the LW5700 also.  I'm baffled as to why the lG system won't pass the Rogers HDMI video signal to the TV.  I have friends and also family who have similar setups and it works fine.

I will be calling Rogers back tonight to see if I can get someone with a bit more knowledge and see if I need to change my Rogers Pace box.

Chris
I'm a Senior Advisor

Why not
Rogers HDMI -> Bluray
Bluray -> HDMI2

No need for the arc...