cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues w/ Whole Home PVR

Alex4161
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have 2 devices that are set up for the Whole Home PVR:  Netbox 3.0 PVR and 4K Box.  I have had at least 3 service calls in the last 8 months as the connection between both devices gets disconnected.  The light on the 4K box go on and off and I cannot access the PVR.  About a month ago, I had our main buried cable replaced and the units were working fine.  Now they are disconnected with the lights flickering.

The support guys at Rogers tried to reset the boxes and went through the rigamarole of unplugging/replug to no avail.  They suggested another tech visit which I am not really keen on as it just wastes my day and the reliability is pretty bad.  Heck, even the techs that have come to my place say that it can be a pain to configure.

Why is Rogers selling this feature to customers if this is so problematic?  Am I the only person who is having this issue or this a wider problem that Rogers wants to keep quiet on.

What is needed to have this working properly?

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

33 REPLIES 33

Re: Issues w/ Whole Home PVR

RogersZia

Good afternoon @Alex4161,

If the boxes keep disconnecting it really does defy the purpose of WHPVRRobot Sad. However we haven't been notified of any other customers experiencing something similar. How long have you had this issue for?  When was the last time you had a tech out for this specific issue? 

Anyone else in the Community experiencing this issue?

RogersZia

Alex4161

I have had this issue for several months and was hoping a new line drop would have fixed this. I had a tech come by 2 months ago for this issue.  It worked for a bit and it no longer does.

Hello @Alex4161,

I see you have reached out to us via @CommunityHelps for troubleshooting purposes. We'll be happy to continue the assistance in PM.

RogersZia

Alex4161

I just got a standalone 4K PVR and it is much more responsive than the Whole Home was.

delbor
I've Been Here Awhile
I'm having same issue. Technician was stumped. Bumped it up to his supervisor and left. Now, for no obvious reason, it's working again.

mfait

@delbor wrote:
I'm having same issue. Technician was stumped. Bumped it up to his supervisor and left. Now, for no obvious reason, it's working again.

Sometimes the other boxes get out of sync with the PVR, but after a while they sync back up.  They usually resync after a new program is recorded (as I was told once).

Happens to me once in a while.  I just leave it and wait for it to re-sync.

Intimidator
I Plan to Stick Around

You just leave them alone and they magically fix themselves?  Our Whole Home PVR setup stopped working about a month ago and the PVRs have been functioning as individuals again, much to my wife's frustration (and my dismay).   I tried power cycling the NextBox 3.0 which I believe is the master (if there is one) and then the NextBox 2.0, but they did not sync back up. 

Is there a process of powercycling that has worked for others?   It is so frustrating when things stop working...  My own suspicion is that it has to do with a firmware update because I know I've seen two come through on the NextBox 2.0 between 10 and 11pm over the past month.  Why they would schedule a PVR to do an update and be unusable at that time is yet another issue - why not pick a time in the middle of the night?  But, I digress.

Does anyone know a method I can get things working again on my own without scheduling a tech to come out?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Intimidator wrote:

Is there a process of powercycling that has worked for others? 

By powercycling do you mean rebooting?  Try rebooting all the boxes.  When you reboot (unplug or using settings - troubleshooting, should have the boxes resynch by the next morning.

Flash
I Plan to Stick Around
Same problem here... we've had this happening for months... rebooting and waiting for the box to update has worked to get the recorded list back so far but is very inconvenient as this happens at least once a week. We have also just started to notice that the guide works very sluggish lately and seems to get stuck sometimes.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A lot of the time the issues with it taking longer to come up, and it communicating, taking longer.. can be signal related.

It would be worth getting a tech out, to check the signals at all the boxes.  Could be as simple as replacing a spliter or cable , adding a booster, etc.

shawnie
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers has got rid of whole home pvr now. Can't be added so if code gets removed from your account, you are out of luck. I have a new account # and can't get it anymore. Great job Rogers for getting rid of features. I will not ever be getting your ignite tv. I only left bell because rogers offered me a much cheaper price and I already own a bunch of boxes. 

First I have heard of that.. unless that is completely new.

Maybe its something that @CommunityHelps can look into and find out if its still available.

May just be lazy tech not wanting to install/phone person not wanting to push
(my experience most people on the USER side phone answering didnt know how to push it, vs the ones who answer when a tech calls in do).

Hello @Gdkitty and Community!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but @shawnie is correct in that we are no longer offering Whole Home PVR Service to Ontario customers (including the Hamilton area).

If you are an existing customer who already obtained this service prior to the change, you can continue to use the feature as normal. We will continue to provide technical support assistance if ever you need it.

**Please note: If ever you decide to move, we won’t be able to reinstall this service at your new address. 

For those of you who are/were interested in this service, we invite you to look at our Ignite TV options. Our new Ignite TV service includes cloud recording, which is a similar feature.

Thank you kindly for your understanding!! 🙂

RogersLaura

Why would you remove this feature as well as being able to record from computer or mobile. I understand you created ignite tv now but it is not even comparable to bells fibe offering. Do you really want people to leave Rogers because you are removing old features that people enjoy. It’s just not logical. People are not going to switch to ignite unless you get rid of digital cable completely.

The recording functionality was removed from the regular rogers apps, as well it is currently not available on the Ignite either.

My understanding, is that its from a legal battle over it.. someone claiming that its copywrited tech, etc.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@RogersYasmine wrote:

Thank you kindly for your understanding!! 🙂

RogersLaura

Thank you kindly for understanding why I won't understand.

So does this mean that, say, if I drop $12 monthly on a new 4k box for my bedroom where I previously had a whole home enabled box, I will no longer be able to add the 4K box to the whole home network?

Because if this is the case, the box is going back tomorrow.  And if Bell ever gets off their butt and finishes their neighborhood upgrades, I'll be giving them a phone call in February when my discounts end.

I hesitate to say their was no warning, because I don't read my bills carefully enough, but I'm willing to bet this post was the first (and probably only) notice Rogers gave and was going to give about this.

I used to be an RE.  I used to be able to talk people through their frustration with Rogers.  Now, I'm starting to understand why people get so angry.

you still have not explained why you have arbitrarily removed this service. all i see is services and apps continually being hobbled.

I can no longer record from my app and with the black Rogers modem, i can't manage my internet like I could with the white modem. again, a continual loss of services and functions, with no real explanation.   

@nubianmale58 , perhaps one of the moderators will comment on your post.  The loss of the Whole Home PVR is most likely a commercial decision by Rogers to drive (force) customers towards the higher cost Ignite TV service.  I don't know if the Whole Home PVR was dropped for existing customers or not.  In any event, that forces customers (who are looking to access the same recorded show in different home locations) towards the Ignite TV service.  Will that tactic work to raise additional cash for Rogers shareholders?  Good question.

As for your comment "with the black Rogers modem, i can't manage my internet like I could with the white modem" can you be more specific?  Perhaps I can help in that regard. 

nubianmale58
I've Been Here Awhile
Thanks for the first part, better answer than from Rogers.

As for the black modem, I can’t access the my wifi app with it “The application functionality is currently disabled by your Service Provider. For further help, please contact your service provider support center.”

So I now cannot monitor and control my wifi useage. Not sure why this is no longer possible or more to the point, why can’t Rogers have an app that can support all of their modems and give their loyal customers control over their wifi and who accesses it.. it can’t be that hard.

Hello @nubianmale58,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums!

I can understand how disappointing it is to see features and functionality you were used to using disappear or change over time. I was also saddened to learn that the Remote PVR Manager was no longer functional. While I was a big fan of the Whole Home PVR setup while on Digital Cable, the Cloud-based PVR system on Ignite TV is so much better. The price of the service has also decreased quite a bit since launch.

For those who already have the Whole Home PVR service, it will still work but the service itself has been discontinued so we do not have the ability to add the specific code for the Whole Home PVR as it has been removed from our systems. With regards to the MyWiFi App, it is currently only supported by the Hitron CODA-4582 & Hitron CODA-4582U modems. I am hopeful that more modems will be supported in the future as it is an awesome tool to manage your WiFi without having to log in to the modem admin settings.

If you're interested in signing up for the Ignite TV service to take advantage of the Cloud-based PVR and so many other great IPTV features feel free to send a PM to @CommunityHelps and we can generate a quote for you.

If you are not familiar with our Private Messaging system please click here to check out our BLOG

RogersTony

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats