cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues for Nokia Lumia 920

AggieYYY
I'm Here A Lot

I got my Nokia Lumia 920 yesterday at around 6 pm and then immediately installed all my favourite apps into it. This new phone has been with me for no more than one day but I found some issues about it.

1. Excessive Heat: I played with it around about one hour, installing some apps, browsering, and configuration. and the top back of this phone is excessive heat. This morning, I opened some apps, like twitter and cnn for about half an hour, the top back is apprentally over-heat.

2. Battery: I charged it full overnight to 99%. However, after about three hours of using (including some short calls, a few texts and about one hour of app browsing), the battery remains 68%. It seems that is modrate use of battery, not as good as expected.

3. Charging: the USB charging for this phone is RATHER slow. I charged it with USB line for two hours, only from 1% to 15%. This is that good since I always charge my phone using USB.

These are three issues I found with my brand new Nokia Lumia 920. Others are pretty good for me and I am satisfied.

Have anyone met with these isseus? Your talk will be appreciated.

****Edited Labels****

45 REPLIES 45

Re: Issues for Nokia Lumia 920

pulkit10
I Plan to Stick Around

That's pretty weird. I have two and haven't seen this issue in either - you probably just got a faulty device. If you are within the 15 day period (which you probably aren't since you contacted Nokia), get a new one.

Has the reset of the phone helped? You could try a hardware reset? and don't add any applications for a day and see what comes out when you refresh the device.

neoxphuse
I Plan to Stick Around

Do you have yahoo mail?

I've heard this was an issue in the original Windows Phone.  Not sure if that's completely fixed yet.

kw1
I Plan to Stick Around

You do realize pulkit10 that tons of people have bricked their 920s by doing a hard reset....

jakeflh
I've Been Here Awhile

I just got a bill with a charge for extra data usage. I got my phone on Dec 28 and, as of that date, my usage is up by a factor of about 50. If anyone has had this problem and resolved it, please let us know. Thanks. 

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello jakeflh

This has been a issue before when the Lumia 920 came out as well. You can call in & speak to a rep or ask for a Manager. Let them know what is going on & see what they can do for you.

jakeflh
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Meowmix,

In the end, I mentioned the issue to my son who told me that the last OS uprade for WP8 included the ability to leave WiFi on when the phone is in locked mode (i.e., when the screen times out). I had no idea that this wouldn't be the case. I checked under Settings -> WiFi -> Advanced and, sure enough, there was an unchecked item "Keep WI-Fi on when the screen times out" I checked this box and the issue seems to be resolved.

I also noticed how many programs were set to run in background, i.e., even when they were not open, (go to Settings, swipe to Applications, then select background tasks). I can imagine how much data was generated by these applications while my phone was locked (most of the time) and thus going through the network rather than WiFi.

As an aside, I did call Rogers and spoke to their technical support department. The rep informed me that she couldn't do any troubleshooting regarding WiFi vs network data usage and, in stead, sent me a document that listed a few basic itemsthat could affect data usage (streaming audio and video, downloading movies, etc.). It mentioned none of the above critical items. Either they are not in the least knowledgeableor about WP8 or simply want to encourage users to increase their data plans. Either way, it does not speak well for Rogers as an organization.

Entegy
I Plan to Stick Around

Background tasks are not the app running the background. Windows Phone has two types of background tasks: Normal ones that can only fire every 30 minutes for 25 seconds and Intensive ones that can run for 10 minutes at a time.

Intensive tasks have extreme restrictions on them. They can only fire when the phone is connected to WiFi, not currently being used (screen is off), the phone has an external power source, no call is taking place and the battery level is above 90%.

It's possible that with the advent of LTE, lots of data was downloaded in those 25 seconds. But I just wanted to point out that background tasks do not run at all times.

There are only two things than can run in the background: An audio stream that the user starts and background location tracking for an app the user has turned on such as feature (e.g.: Nokia Drive)

jakeflh
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the clarification on background tasks, Entegy.

Your suggestion that, with the advent of LTE, lots of data can be downloaded in 25 seconds, may be correct. I used 369 MB of data in the first ten days of my current billing cycle. In the following ten days, after selecting 'Keep Wi-Fi on when the screen times out', I used only 30 MB. My usage patterns were roughly the same for both periods.

eabiadal
I've Been Around

i was using my lumia 920 normally... i was entering music and then it showed loading and i waited for ever and didn't work then...one more sec and the screen stopped working too... then the buttons and am now screwed and thought it might because it was cold outside... i got home and nothin is working right... i really need help.. and my phone never did something lke this before and i bought two weeks ago... please help if someone knows what to do....

Entegy
I Plan to Stick Around

When your phone is frozen like that, hold power and volume down until the phone reboots. This could take more than 10 seconds of holding the buttons down.

aguynamedvic
I'm Here A Lot

just want to add my experience to the thread.

I have had the music app crash and the phone freeze, multiple times. holding vol - and power till the phone vibrates and restarts solves the issue (as previously stated).

I have had the high data usage problem also, checking the keep wifi on option seems to have solved this, but really this shouldnt even be needed.  from what I have read on this issue, it is a result of the WP8 OS selecting the data connection with the highest speed or dropping wifi if the connection isn't "good".. thats is what I understood anyways.

I called roges about the data issue, and they told me to do a factory reset if the problem still happened... well doing that bricked the phone and put me in teh spinning gears of death screen.. I was eventually able to recover it by connecting to my laptop and doing hard reset multiple times till the f*cker eventually got past that screen and booted again. did a second factory reset and it didn't happen again. weird.

I also did the location change to the US and using Pandora, works great. Unless I'm missing something about xbox music, but I'm not about to pay $99 a year to access music I can stream for free with pandora or nokia music+ simply by changing the location of my phone.

Entegy
I Plan to Stick Around
Xbox Music works on more than just Windows Phone. Pandora on other platforms won't due to the license restrictions.

ShinraCorp
I Plan to Stick Around
I've got the 920 since November (day 1 buyer, since I was the proud owner of a Lumia 700) every month I was able to go under my limit (500 MB) but this month in less than 10 days of my billing cycle I somehow consumed more than 1.5 GB of data, which is strange since I always do the usual web browsing and watch Youtube videos at home only.
Proud Windows Phone Ambassador, got a Windows Phone question? I can probably answer.

vinay12
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks for sharing .

nolizwi
I've Been Around

Hi

Normaly i used to spend 500MB a month , now this phone exploits 500MB in 3 days. I told my SP and Nokia and they said there is nothing they can do.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello nolizwi

This sometimes does happen if you leave any streaming services on OR use LTE a lot. If you have not done any of those, i would contact Rogers again & speak to retentions. Let them know

@nolizwi wrote:

Hi

Normaly i used to spend 500MB a month , now this phone exploits 500MB in 3 days. I told my SP and Nokia and they said there is nothing they can do.

This may depend on specific apps as well. I am sure you have DataSense now to tell you which apps are eating up the most of your data, and you should probably uninstall them. I know Tumblr was consuming over 1GB a month just by running in the background, for me.

Butterflywings
I've Been Around
Hi, I had the same issues with battery and heat. I have removed live tiles, that helped. I now am going to do these two steps. Thanks for posting. Will post later to let you know if this works for me.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Butterflywings

Let us know if it works without any issues!!

GRuss
I've Been Around

I wish that I had come across these community forum before getting this phone, because I'm disappointed by the Nokia 920. I thought the heat issue was attributed to my usage, but even under light use it used to get quite hot. I've already disabled all the live tiles, and turned off all background tasks. Seems silly to have a phone that can do all of these cool things, if you have to disable them just to get your phone to last 10 hours a day. I will try disabling the MFC once I get my phone back, as it is out for service, because the flash no longer works unless I press in the body of the phone...but unless Nokia comes out with a software fix, I'm going to be in the market for a new phone.

Glen_B
I Plan to Stick Around

I've owned the 920 since August and exerienced many of the battery issues described here.   It seems that occasionally the phone will use the battery very fast.  For example I have it charging overnight and don't really even use it until I get to work only to find it is down to 80% or so.   I do the hard (or is it soft) reset with the power and volumn buttons for 10 seconds and that fixes it completely. The phone just seems to need that reset around once a week.   I don't know why but that is the way it is.   Some apps likely are power hogs but I think it is Windows and the inability to shut off programs completely.  I know it says to back out of them and I do but I think some get hung up and stay on.  Anyway I suggest you do the reset or even power off might work and do so once a week, not more often than that.    As for the data issue, that is a new one.  I have 500 on my plan and have never come close to using it up.   The heat issue is there but it seems to me that it happens when something is running and shouldn't be.  By that I mean it doesn't get hot when I use it.  It gets hot when it's in my pocket and somehow the phone unlocked because I'll notice it and deal with it.  This is good in a way as it let me know something is wrong.   Why it happens I don't know.   I'm thinking that the Windows 8.1 will fix a lot of this with the ability shut programs down sort of like a Android.

Tip:  Background tasks are important to preserve battery life but your Xbox app can still be running.   Go into the app and settings and turn off some of the obvious things that allow it to connect.   If you don't use Xbox on your phone, turn all that stuff off in the settings for Xbox in the app, not just background tasks in general.   This should give you a couple more hours per day and may even fix some of your data issues.     

As for the battery, I use the app Battery Professional as it has a warning when the battery drain is particularly fast.   Good app. 

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats