Issues for Nokia Lumia 920

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AggieYYY
I'm Here A Lot

Issues for Nokia Lumia 920

I got my Nokia Lumia 920 yesterday at around 6 pm and then immediately installed all my favourite apps into it. This new phone has been with me for no more than one day but I found some issues about it.

1. Excessive Heat: I played with it around about one hour, installing some apps, browsering, and configuration. and the top back of this phone is excessive heat. This morning, I opened some apps, like twitter and cnn for about half an hour, the top back is apprentally over-heat.

2. Battery: I charged it full overnight to 99%. However, after about three hours of using (including some short calls, a few texts and about one hour of app browsing), the battery remains 68%. It seems that is modrate use of battery, not as good as expected.

3. Charging: the USB charging for this phone is RATHER slow. I charged it with USB line for two hours, only from 1% to 15%. This is that good since I always charge my phone using USB.

These are three issues I found with my brand new Nokia Lumia 920. Others are pretty good for me and I am satisfied.

Have anyone met with these isseus? Your talk will be appreciated.

****Edited Labels****

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
jrajendra
I've Been Around

Re: Issues for Nokia Lumia 920

I had the heat problem as well but now it is Gone. Here is how to solve the battery issues that AggieYYY is experiencing. I found this information I did this and my battery life went up considerably and my charging times were faster.

Fix #1: Disable NFC
Near Field Communication (NFC) is a relatively new technology in which cell phones can exchange information by tapping them together or placing them in close proximity. It’s not a feature I have ever used, nor has anyone I’ve asked about it. This particular feature in the Lumia 920 is a likely culprit for constant battery drain. Several forums and articles written prior to this one have also stated this. The problem I had with those forums was that I kept reading about people turning off NFC, but no one said how they did it – and it took me a while to figure out where to find it.

How to turn off NFC on a Nokia Lumia 920
You won’t find an “NFC” option on the 920. This feature is called “tap+send” in the system settings. So navigate to System->Settings->Tap+Send and there we finally see it described as “NFC Sharing.” Simply turn this feature off and you will have disabled NFC on your 920.

Fix #2: Nokia Drive
Another culprit in the extensive battery drainage for the Lumia 920 has been identified as the “Nokia Drive+ Beta” running in the background. Nokia Drive is the offline GPS system, which is a great feature, but certainly not something most users will run extensively. You can turn off this app’s ability to run in the background by going into Settings, swipe over to the Applications option, then select “background tasks.” Here you can “block” this app’s ability to run in the background.

If you perform the two steps above, I’m confident that your Lumia 920′s battery will last significantly longer than before. I have seen a vast increase in battery life since implementing the NFC and Drive fixes.

Have you found other issues or solutions for the Lumia 920′s battery life? Share your experiences in the comments below.

I got it from this website http://wafflesatnoon.com/2012/11/16/solved-nokia-lumia-920-battery-problems/

Google is great tool to use for these issues.

View solution in original post

All Replies
SCHUEY
I Plan to Stick Around

I haven't noticed the heat issue yet, try turning off NFC, which may be the culprit for now.

Also let your phone completely die and then do a full charge a few times. I have read this has improved some people's battery life. Immediate push notifications for email and having facebook chat on can also drain the battery faster.

AggieYYY
I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for your points. I actually turned off the NFC and cellular network connection, only with wiki on. The battery life is still not that long. I will try what you asked me to do in the coming days. Hope everything goes well.

Do you experience the excessice heat issue?

drtolson
I Plan to Stick Around

I've noticed 'overheating' on my Lumia 900 as well, but it's almost always related to GPS use -- and mostly searching for satellite locks.  If you have any apps running 'location services' (Maps, etc.) they can cause things to get quite hot.

I've found power cycling the phone usually solves the problem.

/drt
drtolson
I Plan to Stick Around

Charging via USB is likely to be very slow in any case (at least compared to a wall charger) since the current available from a USB port is considerably lower.  How about just plugging it in at night when you go to sleep?

Also, as mentioned before, running the battery through a few discharge/charge cycles should help immensely.

/drt
AggieYYY
I'm Here A Lot

How to check all the location service in my phone? When you close all the location service, do your phone work cooler? I found the heating problem when I browsing all news app for no more than half an hour.
Froid
I Plan to Stick Around

Only issue I have run into so far is Internet Sharing wont run.  Says I don't have a data connection.  Very annoying.

Dos101
I Plan to Stick Around

After dealing with inconsistent battery/random frezes for the past 12 days I decided to go to the Rogers Plus store I got the phone from. Walked in, explained my issue and that I would like to exchange the phone, and the employee there directed me to a "technica centre" that deals with these issues and says there's nothing he or any other store can do. Are freakin kidding me!? I might go back and make a bigger case cuz that is just terrible customer service. Does that seem wrong to anybody else?

jrajendra
I've Been Around

I had the heat problem as well but now it is Gone. Here is how to solve the battery issues that AggieYYY is experiencing. I found this information I did this and my battery life went up considerably and my charging times were faster.

Fix #1: Disable NFC
Near Field Communication (NFC) is a relatively new technology in which cell phones can exchange information by tapping them together or placing them in close proximity. It’s not a feature I have ever used, nor has anyone I’ve asked about it. This particular feature in the Lumia 920 is a likely culprit for constant battery drain. Several forums and articles written prior to this one have also stated this. The problem I had with those forums was that I kept reading about people turning off NFC, but no one said how they did it – and it took me a while to figure out where to find it.

How to turn off NFC on a Nokia Lumia 920
You won’t find an “NFC” option on the 920. This feature is called “tap+send” in the system settings. So navigate to System->Settings->Tap+Send and there we finally see it described as “NFC Sharing.” Simply turn this feature off and you will have disabled NFC on your 920.

Fix #2: Nokia Drive
Another culprit in the extensive battery drainage for the Lumia 920 has been identified as the “Nokia Drive+ Beta” running in the background. Nokia Drive is the offline GPS system, which is a great feature, but certainly not something most users will run extensively. You can turn off this app’s ability to run in the background by going into Settings, swipe over to the Applications option, then select “background tasks.” Here you can “block” this app’s ability to run in the background.

If you perform the two steps above, I’m confident that your Lumia 920′s battery will last significantly longer than before. I have seen a vast increase in battery life since implementing the NFC and Drive fixes.

Have you found other issues or solutions for the Lumia 920′s battery life? Share your experiences in the comments below.

I got it from this website http://wafflesatnoon.com/2012/11/16/solved-nokia-lumia-920-battery-problems/

Google is great tool to use for these issues.

View solution in original post

SCHUEY
I Plan to Stick Around

I was having some battery issues, but I think it was mostly related to where I live. My signal would bounce between 3G and 4G so I think it was draiing the battery more fighting to get a signal. I ended up turning my data off when I'm at home and it has been better.  I also diabled BBC Mobile since it is not optimized for WP8.