Issue with HDPVR box resetting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, here's a fun one.... let's see if anyone can figure this out.

We picked up the LG LHB645 BluRay and stereo system this holiday. It's connected through both an HDMI output to Televsion and an optical audio cable.

After using the BluRay player, the Rogers NetBox 3.0  (The Cisco 9865) will reboot itself and go into a 10 minute cycle of loading and rebooting.

The LG and the Rogers HDPVR are not directly connected, other through the TV (HDMI from LG to the TV and HDMI from the NetBox to the TV) and the optical audio cable running from LG to the TV.

This is a bit of a mystery. In fact, during the reboots this morning; the PVR was wiped clean (say goodbye to all of those recorded Christmas specials kids!)

Has anyone here had a similar experience or has any theories on what's going on?

Regards,

***edited labels***

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @asdfasdfasdf232,

Are they plugged into the same power bar?

If so, can you try plugging it directly to the outlet, possibly even separate wall outlets?

A possibility is they are shutting off because they may not be getting enough power.

Let us know!

Regards,

RogersMay

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Issue with HDPVR box resetting

Hello there @RogersMay,

Thank you for suggestion. I will try that and let you know if it's still happening. (It's similar to a problem we had a few months back where the Techhie suggested we switch out the box. (A firmware upgrade that wasn't able to finalize for any number of reasons)

Regards

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Nope, using different power outlet didn't help. 

Tv signal froze up, pixelated and struggled for about 45 seconds.

Then Box turned off and is starting the whole Boot Cycle again.

One bonus, at least this time it had nothing to do with the BluRay....

Super frustrating.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @asdfasdfasdf232,

What you stated regarding your last technician visit is very likely the problem here. It's possible that the box didn't take an update correctly and is rebooting constantly now. What I would recommend at this point is try doing a factory reset before taking it into retail for a swap. You can do a factory reset from the troubleshooting menu. It will erase any recordings and settings but it's worth a try at this point. Please let me know if this works. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

My point of frustration is that we swapped out our last PVR a few months back for a similar issue.

Sadly, we lost 3 months of PVR'd material, including Holiday Specials, some "never-to-be-repeated" live events and other family favourites.... really, really let us down.

If it continues, I guess we'll have no other option.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Hello @RogersHassam,

Did the Factory Reset, but we've had 3 reboots already tonight. So... yeah... it's pooched.

Will be swapping this box out tomorrow morning... but to be honest; there is no way that these Nextboxes should be so finnicky.

I know there's some massive update coming through on the 5th, but I'm disheartened to see how many problems we've had with the 3.0s.

If the sofware is flawed, let's fix it!
If the hardware is flawed, let's find a different provider of the boxes!

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @asdfasdfasdf232,

I apologize the factory reset did not work for you. We would recommend swapping the box at this point. I can understand your frustration and hope you don't have this negative experience again with another box. 

RogersHassam 

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Hi @asdfasdfasdf232  

I'm sorry to hear of your continual let downs with these boxes.  I understand what it's like to lose programs that you've been carefully collecting and saving.

Something that MIGHT reduce the chance of this happening with the next box that you try is hooking the PVR up to a decent Uninterruptable Power Supply.  It's just speculation on my part, but one possiblity for the cause of problems with MULTIPLE box might be flaky/unreliable hydro supplying the PVR.  (Perhaps there is a fridge or something on the same fuse that draws a spike of power when it turns on.)

It's an investment of about $100 or more that may be worth it in the long run that might make your PVR more reliable.  (And if your computer is close by, it may benefit from being plugged into the UPS as well.)

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So @billmcintyre

Are you saying that any small flux in power while the Netbox is installing a firmware upgrade leads to the boot cycle?

Interesting..... not such a great signifier of the tech, but interesting.