cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there an easier way to reboot Cisco 8642HD?

mm76
I'm Here A Lot

Hi. Does anyone know if  there is a special button combination that will reboot the 8642HD box? Unplugging the box is awkward if the powerbar is behind furniture. I've read suggestions of plugging into a timer that powers off in the middle of then night when nothing's scheduled, but then plugging in a timer into a surge protector blocks adjacent outlets (timers are wide) and I'm not sure if it would be a fire hazard. Having a reset button combination would make things alot easier. Of course, fixing the backend systems would be ideal, but until then we need an easier process.

***Edited labels***

24 REPLIES 24

Re: Is there an easier way to reboot Cisco 8642HD?

stepy2015
I Plan to Stick Around
Did it cause any issues with the box after the format did you have to re authorize it

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@stepy2015 wrote:

Resetting a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD

We Have an old  Scientific Atlanta 8300HD we have used it for many years and now the hard drive is full. we also have scheduled series recordings we would like to reset.  I am wondering if there is any way to reset the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD and start fresh

If you just need to free up space for new recordings, press LIST, then B, , then select "Turn ON Auto Erase" which will automatically erase your oldest recordings to make space for new ones.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@stepy2015wrote:
Did it cause any issues with the box after the format did you have to re authorize it

I didn't do it. I just cut/pasted the instructions, which are quite old and I'm not sure if they work.  You shouldn't have to re-authorize.

As mentioned by @OLDYELLR, just go into your list and set your "save" options to say "one day" and all your recordings should be gone in a couple of days...  Once they're gone, just reset the save options to your preference.

stepy2015
I Plan to Stick Around

I would like to know if anyone has tried to format the hard drive and how it went