Is there an alternative to the Hitron CGN3?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Is there an alternative to the Hitron CGN3?

I want buy a better modem/gateway. This thing is just too unstable and $12/month for it is crazy.

Has anyone purchased a different modem that works well?

I am on Hybrid Fiber 30

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Is there an alternative to the Hitron CGN3?

Rogers will be very reluctant to allow you to use your own modem on their network.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You would be better off downgrading to a lower tier modem at a lower rent cost, running it in bridge mode and then using your own router.  As Lurker indicated, trying to get another modem added to Rogers system is next to impossible.

I'm an Advisor

@joffet wrote:

I want buy a better modem/gateway. This thing is just too unstable and $12/month for it is crazy.

Has anyone purchased a different modem that works well?

I am on Hybrid Fiber 30

If you're on Hybrid Fiber 30, you might as well downgrade to an 8-channel modem, e.g. the Cisco DPC3825. (Avoid the CGN2, at least for non-bridged use)

But really, all of these gateways are questionable when used as anything other than bridged modems. So, I'd suggest running a bridged CGN3 or DPC3825, and then get a nice router to do your NAT/firewall/wifi/etc. As everyone around here knows, I love the Asus RT-AC68U, though their lower-end models running the excellent AsusWRT software should be fine too...

I'm a Regular

Rogers will not allow any other modem than the CGN2 or CGN3 ... i went through this trying to get a Motorola SBG6580 added to the account.  Customer Service will not be able to add it.

... and the best answer is.... (drum roll)

TEKSAVVY !     Their cable service uses Rogers infrastructure, believe it or not.  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TekSavvy 

Check their Approved Modems tab at

http://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/cable/cable-30  

http://teksavvy.com/en/residential/internet/cable/cable-60

i would have switched a long time ago had i not been able to get the range that i get out of the CGN3... however when you get down to 3 bars, look out... you'll need a repeater or range extender, if you are wifi that is

its just such a hassle to change providers... sticking around for now...

Order Now!
Wilder vs. Ortiz II Live
LIVE: Saturday, November 23, 2019 8PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $74.99 (HD) | $69.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $74.99
DTV can order on Nov. 21st & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Reigning heavyweight world champion Deontay "The Bronze Bomber'' Wilder takes on his most dangerous challenger as he defends his WBC title in a rematch against once-beaten Cuban slugger Luis "King Kong'' Ortiz.

Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 5 in conversation