Is there a way to monitor individual devices wifi usage on 1 account?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Is there a way to monitor individual devices wifi usage on 1 account?

Defaultly with most current retail hardware?  No.

Using something like a custom firmware, that works on specific routers... something like DD-WRT, would more likely allow something like that.

What are you trying to do?  from your other thread about passwords.. are you more trying to restrict someones usage, etc?
There are some options.. with mac filtering, using time of day settings, etc.. that possibly could help.

I've Been Here Awhile

Yes, I want to be able to monitor a student's usage in my home as well as cap the data when it reaches a certain point per day. Is that possible?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

With the default gateways from rogers.. while they provide wireless, etc.. are still very basic in the terms of ADVANCED functions (which it what this would be considered).

Some other routers (like the linksys i have) have time of day usage.. where you can only have it ON for specific devices.. but doesnt limit amount of usage, etc.

There is TONS of software for limiting stuff that way on a computer.  But that requires them to be loging into a GUEST level account on it (no install, etc rights) so they cant turn it off, etc.

Also does not help with any devices like phones, tablets, etc which can access internet.

The only thing that DOES come close.. is some of the DD-WRT/open router software... which it IS doable with.. but takes ALOT of manual setup/scripting as well as technical knoledge to set up properly Smiley Sad

You are FAR from the first sort of person to ever ask about something like this.. just seems like something that the router makers dont seem to implement Smiley Sad

I'm an Advisor

There seem to be ways to achieve a way to monitor/limit bandwidth for individual devices at the router using DD-WRT firmware.  I have not tried this myself, but was intrigued by the challenge, and found the following through, what else, Google:

http://markmaunder.com/2011/01/26/how-to-reliably-limit-the-amount-of-bandwidth-your-room-mate-or-ba...

My reading of that web page is that it would take possibly significant technical abilities to accomplish this.  The author does give detailed instructions on what exactly to do to accomplish his recommendation.

One of the reasons this intrigues me is because a close relative of mine has a student boarder who uses the Internet connection provided as part of the room and board.

I can see the potential there for problems given that to the boarder the Internet connection is essentially free.  Meanwhile the provider of room and board needs to deal with the data volume charges that result from the boarder's Internet usage.  As the family resident "tech guy" I will inevitably get the question of how to deal with this issue/problem Smiley Frustrated

By the way, the URL referenced above also gives recommendations on which router the author recommends, and for what reason, to use DD-WRT firmware.

skinorth