Is the Advanced Model at Best Buy the latest generation?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Is the Advanced Model at Best Buy the latest generation?

I recently upgraded my internet package and picked up the new Rogers Advanced Hiton CGN-3 to get better throughput, among other things. I'm quite happy with the modem so far, despite many of the reviews I read on other boards. The local Rogers retail store assured me that this generation is much better. I now see a similar item on sale at Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/rogers-rogers-advanced-wireless-dual-band-modem-cgn3-rog-english... Given that this sale price is about a year's cost of rental, I'd like to buy it and return my rental. Before I do that though, I'd like to make sure that Best Buy isn't simply ditching old duds and these are the latest generation.

Your quick feedback will be much appreciated.

Mohammad.

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Is the Advanced Model at Best Buy the latest generation?

Yes, that is the same model.

At the prices bestbuy has been selling it.. it definately is a good deal.

That this is one of the few only 24 channel modems on the market (i think SMC -JUST- released one), and nothing higher, etc.. i dont think you will see anything really replacing this one, for at LEAST over a year if not longer.

Only downside is a 1 year warranty (vs ongoing with rental), but is that worth the extra amount per year?

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for your quick response. i picked it up last evening. On the package the ID is ROG 7115-CGN3 and that is followed by a July 2013, presumably the manufacturing/release date. My original concern was that this may older stock that is inferrier to the current most recent batch. When I called to sign up for the new internet package, I was also told by the Rogers rep in their contact centre that I'd have a hard time finding the new Advanced modem, as they are showning all out of stock for rentals.

Putting all that together, I'm still somewhat concerned about the sale priced modem and I'd appreciate more feedback/comments.

One last question: do the firmware updates on these modems happen automatically?

Thanks again,

Mohammad.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They have had them on sale, for most of the summer.   Not sure why.

But it is the correct model.. there are a number on this board, and some others i frequent, who have got one and used one.

Now, with it possibly being earlier packaged... the firmware might be the one thing on it.  Its likely OLDER firmware, possibly older than the rental, etc ones.

Meaning you will have to wait for the newer firmware push.  But rogers does do this automatically in most cases (there are a few who have had issues, but generally its automatic).

After activation/registration on their network.. normally seems to take 3-5 days for this to push out.

UNTIL you get the latest firmware, its likely best that you run the unit in GATEWAY mode, and not bridged mode, as there was a bug with it, in the older versions of the firmware.

I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks very much.