Is my Rrogers TV cable box vulnerable to Heartbleed

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Is my Rrogers TV cable box vulnerable to Heartbleed

What Rogers TV Cable boxes use OPENSSL ? The Internet of Things which include cable boxes in the list warn that cable boxes are vulnerable to the Heartbleed bug. I'd like to know as my Smart TV can connect to the internet. Also, how would Rogers go about patching a cable box (firmware upgrade)? House call?

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Is my Rrogers TV cable box vulnerable to Heartbleed

Hello emmjay

From what i know, none of the Rogers Cable boxes are affected by it as they use a different system to upgrade and update the software.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

These cable boxes while from the mfg can be Internet connected, none of the ones from Rogers are.
All data transmitted on them is private just within the Rogers network and never anywhere near the Internet.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for such a swift reply. I hope you are right. I would have expected an ISP to have the courtesy to generate a message to their subscribers on a web splash page about the heartbleed bug. Cable boxes, routers, gateways, smartphones, internet devices and connections....all from a single source and not a single announcement on the Rogers web page. If Rogers devices are not vulnerable then it is a good news story. Why not communicate it. Customer Relations OTL. ... recalculating, recalculating, recalculating..
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello emmjay

Neither has Bell, Shaw and Telus (West Coast) has not said anything on their website or TV either. They wouldn't say anything unless they are affected as they rather not worry customers ( some customers don't even know about this believe it or not )

The Rogers boxes have no way of getting it unless they go thru the regular Internet and update the boxes which no carrier does.

So you have nothing to worry about!
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

So Rogers is in good company ... an eagle that hangs around with turkeys will never learn to soar. 

Customers who are aware of heartbleed are the ones who will appreciate the information. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello emmjay

Honestly and truthfully the hearbleed has been around for 2 or so years. Just recently its been getting attention and has grown. I knew about it from last year when Google announced it via their web developers. So did Microsoft as well.

Rogers is in the Green light which is good for anyone worrying.
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, I was aware of that too. It was just a blip 2 years ago.   The attention it has received of late has put a lot more empahsis on getting the patch on and  certificates reissued. However, there are IOTs that will never be patched.  

Yes, good that Rogers got the greenlight on what we discussed (just the IOTs).  Tnx for your input, much appreciated.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello emmjay

Exactly that is true. Hopefully it gets under control soon an everything gets patched up!.

You are welcome 🙂
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Will add, just for the info.

While rogers hasnt official made splash, etc like you said.

They have replied to people on the topic.

None of the rogers site nor services, use the OpenSSL, so are not vulnerable.
Yahoos servers, for rogers email,  have already patched.