Is Rogers internet down?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Is Rogers internet down?

I am in Bolton and internet has been down since about 9pm, still down, apparently the dns server is down

I've Been Around

Internet is down since 6:00 pm tried calling Rogers took 45 mins but didn't get hold on any one

Some Dns issue

I'm Here A Lot

Highlighted
I've Been Around

My original, and only, DNS server is responding now. Not sure it it is the problem or upstream of it. It is interesting as there is only one, no secondary/backup/fail-over and both the support helpline and wireless portal access were congested or "offline"

I've Been Around

Dear Rogers,

I understand that things do happen and you are not able to keep up your service. However you expect us to read your Internet balers about service disruption in Toronto over the Internet when we don't have Internet access?? I am not sure how are we supposed to do that. 

You expect us to understand that due to Internet service disruption all customers may be contacting the Rogers customer centre and so there might be a long wait. So I guess if I have a cellular issue, than I will not be able to reach you as the Internet customers have jammed your lines!

A standard message over the phone to advise callers of the disruption might be something to think about next time!

I Plan to Stick Around

Yorgi's advice is spot on. It was just the DNS (Domain Name Server) that was down.
Which means you're connected, but there's no DNS to direct your connections to where you want to go. Google and others have free DNS's that you can keep in the list of servers. When one is down, it goes to the next one.
Or if there's not a list (eg on an iPhone) you just change the DNS when you need to.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I'm just glad that it wasn't my smartphone lol. I had a similar issue with an older phone and it was expensive to replace it. What really sucks though is the fact that with the Interweb and the data network not working, I had no way of finding out what the issue was. It would be nice if Rogers had a system in place that would automatically send a text message to their customers to let them know if something like this happens.
I've Been Around

So it's being reported in the media that ROgers has fixed the issue and that everything is back up and running.  Well not here in Cambridge. Been out since about 6pm last night!

Not happy to say the least especially when i work from hom to begin with!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It might be something else then.?

My regular internet service was back up and running, as well as celular (which was also effected).

Have you tried to switch your DNS to the google addresses?  This will at least illiminate if its the same issue or not.

Last nights issue, was DNS based, the network was up, the rogers DNS was just broke, changing of the DNS the internet worked fine.  If you do this change, and its still down, its something else.

While the cost is higher, this is why i recomend home businesses pay for the BUSINESS grade internet, as they do have SLA's on their service, compared to using a residential internet service for business.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats a good idea!

Likely never thoguht of it though.. as usualy with cellular.. its not just the DATA part thats down.. its usualy the WHOLE wireless part in that area.. which would make the text idea null and void 😛

Phone us maybe?  That wont work if cellular alltogether is down.. um..alternet land line? >.>