Is Rogers Home Phone VOIP?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KWUser
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Is Rogers Home Phone VOIP?

A home alarm system I am considering requires a POTS telephones system and does not support VOIP. Would Rogers Home Phone be considered VOIP?

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
gcampbell
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Is Rogers Home Phone VOIP?

Voice over Internet Protocol is a very general term defining transport of voice packets that was made a household name by one company early on. Unfortunately their definition spoiled the term for everyone. Rogers uses VoIP as a transport medium but there is one very important difference. Rogers uses PacketCable to route phone packets. PacketCable is not routable on the internet like standard VoIP. Rogers packets must stay on their internal managed network end to end with the exception of handing off to the Bell PSTN at connection points after conversion to Bell's protocol. Rogers phone packets never go on the internet.

As far as any alarm system is concerned, Rogers modems respond exactly like POTS/PSTN phone with subtle differences in how signaling takes place. Most home alarm systems need to have direct access to the standard dial tone before any house phones in order to siege the line in an alarm condition. They listen for a dial tone and make a call back to the monitoring station. I will be the first to admit that sometimes the alarm and the phone have issues but this can be confirmed and solved during installation by testing. There is a lot of resistance by alarm companies to work with Rogers, either they overcharge the customer as a penalty or they say it won't work as a way of staying in their cocoon. If your alarm company refuses to move into the 90's, change alarm companies. Sorry, I ran out of space to go any farther.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

it is voip in theory, however it is also considered pots or pstn too.

gcampbell
I've Been Here Awhile

Voice over Internet Protocol is a very general term defining transport of voice packets that was made a household name by one company early on. Unfortunately their definition spoiled the term for everyone. Rogers uses VoIP as a transport medium but there is one very important difference. Rogers uses PacketCable to route phone packets. PacketCable is not routable on the internet like standard VoIP. Rogers packets must stay on their internal managed network end to end with the exception of handing off to the Bell PSTN at connection points after conversion to Bell's protocol. Rogers phone packets never go on the internet.

As far as any alarm system is concerned, Rogers modems respond exactly like POTS/PSTN phone with subtle differences in how signaling takes place. Most home alarm systems need to have direct access to the standard dial tone before any house phones in order to siege the line in an alarm condition. They listen for a dial tone and make a call back to the monitoring station. I will be the first to admit that sometimes the alarm and the phone have issues but this can be confirmed and solved during installation by testing. There is a lot of resistance by alarm companies to work with Rogers, either they overcharge the customer as a penalty or they say it won't work as a way of staying in their cocoon. If your alarm company refuses to move into the 90's, change alarm companies. Sorry, I ran out of space to go any farther.

View solution in original post

Mirian
I've Been Around

This explanation is far too technical for me. In my case, I'd like to know if Rogers home phone has that limitation IP phones have related 911 calls. I understand 911 calls made from an IP phone cannot easily be routed to a nearby emergency call center, because of some degree of independence between the IP phone and the place where it's physically located, as opposed to a fixed landline phone, which can be easily traced to its actual physical location.

I have even heard of cases in which a 911 call from an IP phone have been routed to a non-emergency phone. In conclusion, my question is: Does Rogers home phone have this limitation or it actually behaves as a fixed landline phone when routing 911 calls to an emergency call center?

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

a 911 call on rogers home phone is routed the exact same way to the local emergency centre as that of a 911 call of the local telephone provider in the same area.   Rogers home phone is an actual fixed phone provider just like bell, the only difference they do not use the traditional copper lines that were run to your house that bell uses, they have their own "network" but they work exactly the same way.

other voip providers DIFFER than rogers home phone because they require a internet connection and theyre not truely fixed, if y you are in toronto and move your voip to another city like montreal, the 911 emergency centre will not know this, however rogers home phone does not plug into the public internet, the terminal stays in your house, and if you move to another city like ottawa, a technician will come to your new house and install the new terminal and will update your billing address to reflect your address so if  you decide to call 911, the emergency responders know where you live.

a_mahmood575
I've Been Around

Rogers Home Phone service is cable based, not Internet based, so therefore it is not considered VOIP (Voice Over Internet Provider) Service.  As well, it functions just like a normal landline home phone, so it will work perfectly normal when used in an emergency call or by an alarm provider.  As well, it is extremely reliable with great call quality, reception, and no outages, just like Bell home phone but at a better price...long story spelt short.  Hope this helps!

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

the IP in VoIP stand for Internet Protocol. the CPE box that rogers provides communicates the analog voice into digital IP Packets, that is the basis of how voip works regardless of the type of medium (cable) connection its using

gerry44
I've Been Around

If Roger's VoIP is sent in packages, does it have the same problem VoIP had in the beginning with only one person talking at the same time and having to wait before you can reply?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

VOIP now is nothing.
Almost any call center.. most businesses, etc are all running VOIP there now.

WIth faster speed connections and the compressions that they use on the voice, there are usually no issues with it running two was silmultanious voice.

We recently at my work installed a CISCO VOIP system for the whole business.   We have about 80-90 phone users.
Even if EVERYONE was to be talking at the exact same time, the overall bandwidth consumption used is under 2.5mb if i am correct.