cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Roger's throttling Netflix now?

BeerHunter125
I'm a Trusted Enthusiast

I'm trying to watch a movie on Netflix (using a Rocket HUB) and lowest quality (.3G per hour). Must say even at that on my laptop the picture is not too bad.

Anyway , my DL speeds keep dropping off after a few minutes form 150 KB/s down to 8 bits/s or 0. If I exit Netflix and do a speed testy , my rates are 1 -2 mb/s.

If I go back and resume the movie it plays for a few minutes then the speeds drop off again. Rinse and repeat with the speed test.

Congestion of throttling?

***edited labels***

36 REPLIES 36

Re: Is Roger's throttling Netflix now?

Right, but even on HD settings, unless you have the right supported device... are just going through the web browser, etc, you are going to be at the lower rate.  Unless you have a supported device.

You can really see the start of the compression when you START to stream something... comes through at BARELY SD quality.. but quickly sharpens up to crisp and clear.
(Been mostly watching cartoons with my son on there lately... i am suprises how CRISP and CLEAR they are... and some of the cartoons have GREAT 5.1 sound too :P)

techguy001
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Well, I only use a browser on my computers for watching Netflix and I always get HD once I set my profile settings to that all the time.   It doesn't bother to negotiate up and down, etc when you do that.   I've also used the NETFLIX app on Windows 8.1 and it works as well.   I have tried using my Android smartphone and it works but I can't be bothered to watch a movie on a 5" screen.

The HD streaming quality is pretty good and the best audio you get is equivalent to Dolby Digital Plus 5.1, so not bad, but compared to a blu-ray it is noticeably inferior for both video and audio.  

gisuck
It's rather weird to watch episodes of ST:TNG. Even though the data is SD, watching it on an HD tv you can tell some of the computer animation effects weren't as cool as if you were looking at it on an old TV set. You can see too much detail now.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I tried watching the original series.. the 'newer' updated touched up HD ones..
THAT was weird.. seemed even MORE fake, as it was TOO detailed that the fake stuff was fake.  At least in SD, the fakeness was kinda hidden 😛

techguy001

I too recently started watching ST:TNG again on Netflix after many years of not seeing it.   In the age of HD and widescreen it's tough to go back and watch all those shows in 4:3 format in SD.   It just seems cheesy now especially when you really notice the flaws.   Have to remember though that was 25 years ago when the show was aired so it was great for its day.   The movie series that followed was much better in terms of quality.    Too bad there isn't much in the way of good Science Fiction series these days.

russ369
I Plan to Stick Around

My internet, for as long as I can remember, has always felt slower than my advertised speed. I am currently "supposed" to get around 60mbps speed, I used to have the 250mbps plan but I lowered it since it was too expensive. Even then, I DEFINITELY wasn't getting 250mbps...

I would get frequest slow downs, technicians would be requested, when coincidentally my service would improve EACHTIME right before the service man would come, making me think everything is fine, so I would cancel the appointment.

Getting fed up, I did more research online. Rogers, along with several large American ISP's are apparently notorious for doing this.

From what I discovered, its a huge issue, and I noticed this alot earlier since a couple of years ago, my Netflix stopped displaying video in HD quality. (Called Rogers, they blamed Netflix, called Netflix, they blamed Rogers... im pretty sure it was on Rogers' end)

None the less, the more and more I dug, the more I found. Apparently, a common site that all the Rogers employees use to frequently get customers to feel good and test their speeds is the obvious Speedtest.net. That website is currently on Rogers Non-Throttle list, so ofcourse we are going to get good results each time.

There is another site that allows you to check what your TRUE speeds are. Its called speedof.me. I know most people would say, "Oh, well its a different site with different servers, maybe its not accurate". True but when I did MULTIPLE tests on both sites, I got the EXACT same Upload speed, just two completely different Download speeds.

Speedtest.net: 77mbps/11mbps

now on the other site... after 3 or 4 tests run, I averaged it out to around:

Speedof.me: 8.5mbps/11mbps (this is DEFINITELY what my internet actually feels like, pages take long to load, etc)

Good stuff Rogers, you are clearly ripping people off, people who are paying for your high end plans, secretely throttling us, all while adding some shady stuff into our contracts that most people don't even read giving you the benefit of the doubt. Ofcourse most people aren't going to notice or fight it if Rogers always misleads you to Speedtest.net.

I want someone from Rogers to come and read this, not to give me some logical answer, but to understand that this is.

/endrant

wayner92

Where was the server that speedof was using?  I just ran a test and the server was in New York City.  When I run tests with speedtest.net it uses servers in Toronto.  There are a lot more possiblities of bottlenecks between Toronto and New York.  You could also try using speedtest.net and selecting a server in New York, Hong Kong, etc to see the effect of distance on your speed.

But what is the speed that you pay for?  Is it the best case scenario of a test to a nearby server without a lot of interchanges between communications companies?  Or is it the actual speed to a server much farther from your home?  Note that many tech companies distribute their servers with content delivery companies like Akamai so that the data is closer to the end consumer to reduce problems caused by bottlenecks on the internet.  Netflix does this for instance, and they are also, in some instances, putting their servers on ISP's network to reduce congestion.  I don't know if they have done this with Roigers or not.

FYI - I have Rogers' 250 Mbps service.  I rarely find services that run that fast - but others say that they can download from Newsgroup servers at their full connection speed.  I often download files from an FTP server in Europe.  The best speed that I can get with multi-segment downloads is 80 Mbps but I am pretty sure that is due to (1) latency as FTP runs slower the higher your latency and (2) bottlenecks at interconnects between Rogers and the ISP in Europe.

To do a real world speed test find a server that is close to where you are located and try to download a file and measure your speed.  If you cand download a 1 gigabyte file in a minute then you are getting 1 GB/min or 1000/60 MBps or 8000/60 Mbps or 133 Mbps (or a bit faster if you define 1GB = 1024 MB)

So is it Rogers fault that you can't get your full speed over the interent?  Is it Porsche's fault that you can't drive your 911 at 250 km/hr on the 401 during rush hour?

wayner92

Here is a link that describes the factors that affect FTP speeds - I am guessing that these would also apply to other types of file transfers like HTTP as well. 

The speed that you observe is affected by five factors:

1. Links speed (your maximum throughput to Rogers)
  2. Frame size (somewhat user configurable)
  3. Round trip time - aka latency as the TCP protocol requires acknowledgement that data is being received.
  4. Windows size - the max here seems to be 64k bytes.

Rogers got smacked.. HARD in the past for throttling.. i doubt they are going to do it in the end.

When doing a speed test.. its ALL about the end  point location.

WHen i run speedof.me.. it doesnt give me an option.. in ONLY chooses Chicago for me.

I am on a 60/10 package.. and pull only 29/8 on that test.

When i do speed test, there are.. 6 choices in chicago..
I have run a test on ALL of them, and get speeds from 80/10 (same as a toronto server), down to as low as 8/4.... ALL varrying from the server chosen.

Using BELL's speed test. (if anyone, you think they would thottle their BIGEST competition?)  Get the 85+/10 (but its also a LOCAL server)

I can guarantee you that i am getting my promised speed as well.

Again, i am on the 60mbps plan.  (60 mega bits per second)... that should equate, that the fastest overall pull i should get from somewhere.. it 7.3+ mega BYTES per second.
ON a torrent the other day... i was able to pull 7.4 at its peak... i MAXED my download on my connection..

------------
As for the netflix.. Unless there is a change in your setup, etc.

My HD is working perfectly fine here... i run a super HD capable device (so can get true 1080p out of netflix) and its working fine.

Rogers HAD some issues a few months past, where their 'speeds' from netflix, were in the lowest in canada (dont get me started on the INACURACIES on how those tests are collected, regardless of WHICH carrier, but thats another story).  That has not been fixed and are in the top 3-4 now.

Netflix, in the end, does some of its OWN throttling... though they never really talk about it.
Netflix itself.. if you are only viewing on a mobile device, web browser, etc.. the max throughput from netflix, regardless on your internet package, is 3meg.  Only with a super HD, can you get from somewhere between 5-7.

wayner92

To get back to Netflix - a friend of mine has a new 4K TV with the built in Netflix app and his ISP is Rogers.  He is able to watch the Netflix produced content in 4K on his TV - that is the maximum bandwidth needed for Netflix anywhere at around 15 Mbps.  If Rogers throttled Netflix then I doubt he would be able to get those shows, like House of Cards, in 4K.

MICHI1
I've Been Here Awhile

I have Rogers Fiber 250 u and my rogers speed test shows my speed at 329.55 Mbps yet I can't seem to stream netflixs for very long without the buffering.  I have rebooted modem several time.  This has been an issue for the last few weeks.  I am in south west London Ontario.  Anyone else having issues.

@MICHI1 streaming via ethernet or wifi?  And ... what are you running for DNS, which will effect which Netflix server you are streaming from?

MICHI1
I've Been Here Awhile
wifi and hitronhub

borford
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Rogers does not throttle Netflix. Netflix throttles Netflix and states so on the Netflix help pages. I have a wired connection (Ethernet) with a 100 mbps package. When my Netflix account is set to HD, I get video/audio sync issues as well as trouble loading. Set at SD, things run smooth and viewing on a 54 inch TV is fine.

Netflix limits bandwidth during peak hours to individuals to allow more customers to use the service.

Brian

MICHI1
I've Been Here Awhile
Thank you for the help

gp-se
I'm an Advisor

@MICHI1

@MICHI1 wrote:
wifi and hitronhub

make sure you are using the 5Ghz band whenever possible to connect devices using WiFi. The 2.4Ghz band is very crowded/noisy and will cause degraded performance. If possible try and use an ethernet cable instead of WiFi.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats