cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Irritating ad

solinadave
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi..............How do I get rid of the irritating Match.com ad that pops up on my homepage everytime I log on?  How do I rid myself of all the ads that pop up when I open my browser?

Thanks........................Dave

****Edited Labels****

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Irritating ad

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
What web page does your browser start on? Those adds likely are part of that page. (Like msn etc)
You can change this in the Internet option of the browser.

Beyond that, could be some form of virus, etc that is hyjacking it.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

If you are using browsers like Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome, you can download extensions like Adblock and Adblock Plus to rid yourself of the intrusive ads. My Rogers Yahoo homepage is free of these annoying ads. Another one that is particularly good is Webmail Ad Blocker which also rids my Rogers Webmail of the advertisement on the right hand side of the page which cuts down on how much space I have to view my email. With Internet Explorer, it is much more difficult. Simple AdBlock is good, but you must pay for it. One thing I have done with IE9 is to add the Fanboy tracking protection list. While not as effective as the ad block extensions, it does work reasonably well. 

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty

The match.com ad referred to by the OP actually is an ad that appears on the Rogers Yahoo home page (if you use that). It is not a virus or a hijacked page. I just saw it after temporarily disabling my Ad Blocker. Rogers has stooped to new lows with ads like these. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Ah. Haven't been there in a while.

Rogers has no controls over those add unfortunately 😞 it's all yahoo.

But I agree about using something like add block.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Not sure how much responsibility Rogers has for the ads. You could be right Gdkitty, in that Yahoo controls the ads. The Web page still has the Rogers brand on it, so as such, they have to accept some responsibilty. In fact some of the most intrusive ads that appear on the Rogers portal are ads for Rogers! Glad I do not have to look at them any more!! Smiley Wink

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Pretty sure it's at least majority yahoo.

My wife has a Rogers as well as yahoo email, and the portal is pretty much bang on identical. They may just have maybe a larger amount Rogers injected.
Or could just be he way the yahoo adds display based in browsing habits. Many add systems base on where you browse to, and say if the majority are car sites, will give more car adds. I see a lot of Rogers adds other sites in the web, likely due to being on here so much, it tunes the adds on other sites to Rogers adds 😛

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!

Topic Stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 3 in conversation