Iphone device balance

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Iphone device balance

So I bought an Iphone 4 from the apple store at polo park, full price, unlocked. I take it to rogers to get a 3 yr plan and the sign up goes all well. I log onto my account and it also shows that I own an Iphone 4 and have no balance as far as paying off the phone as I own it.

Something goes wrong with the gps, apple kindly replaces it for me at the apple store, I mistakely take it to rogers to make sure its active, now when i log onto my account it shows that I have an Iphone 4 but with a balance to pay off as if the phone was subsidized.

Been on the phone with rogers countless times, pretty rude staff, basically said sorry we understand but cant do a thing,

To put it simple once more,

I buy a phone from apple full price unlocked for 800 or so, get a sim card from rogers, activated a 3 yr plan, phone is defective after a few months, apple replaces it, now rogers says I owe so much on the phone because they believe they subsidized it. Unbelievable, so my advice to people, if you own your own phone unlocked, do not ever let a rogers employee touch it, just get the sim card from them and put into your phone yourself. I made the mistake of handing my phone over to rogers cause they said they need to make sure the settings are right for their network, but when they had it, boom, on my account they said they now own it.

***edited labels***

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Iphone device balance

Hello donjhenry

Hmm that seems odd. They shouldn't ever add the balance. It could be that tbey added the IMEI number on your account and the account either accepted it as a new device with a balance or the store did something. Either way if u have the receipt from Apple that u paid full price, i would go back to that store, complain and see what happens. If anything call in and explain your situation.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Even if they had to swich sim information around, etc.. it SHOULDNT have triggered something like this.
Was everything active when you went to the rogers store? or did they have to do anything?

At the apple store.. when they swaped the phone.. did they just give you the new hardware, no touching it, etc.. or did they do stuff there? (as the apple store can set up the connection to the carriers, if i am correct).  Maybe somethng happened there?

Not trying to take blame away, etc.. just wondering if it could have happened at the APPLE store end?

I'm Here A Lot

We have the receipt for the original iphone 4 that we purchased, we dont have the reciept for the one that apple gave us. Rogers did ask for a reciept as proof we own it. We went back to apple store to see if we can get reciept and the apple store told us they dont give reciepts when they swap out a phone. We told this to rogers but they insist they need the reciept, and was told that a rogers employee at a rogers store put the balance on there when they set up my phone, or I should say, put a new sim into it.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Gdkitty

Sadly this is a Rogers fault, not Apple.. Search on Google and u will see that many had this exact issues with Rogers, Bell and most of the other carriers.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello donjhenry

It could be because u guys didn't show the receipt to Rogers, they automatically changed to to them giving u the device for free and left a balance on on there. This should be changed. Contact Rogers and ask for Rogers retentions. Explain what is going on. Tell them u got this phone from Apple as a replacement and u went to Rogers to activate the sim. Tell them that the store never sold u the phone there for there shouldn't be a device balance.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I will have to defer to Meowmix here, hes the expert Smiley Happy

But you think for rogers to do this.. they then would have PROOF they sold you the phone.. that that S/N was sold/scaned out?  use that as part of your argument.

You think though too.. on the apple side.. that they WOULD have some soft of receipt/proof for you on the exchange though.. as same thing.. for them to take the other in, you think they would have to scan out the S/N of the one they gave you?

I'm Here A Lot

we did ask and explained the situtation 3 times to rogers, twice over the phone and at the rogers store. the employee at the store understood and said we shouldnt be charged for the phone at all as it is mine but said that I have to talk to rogers on the phone to clear it up which we have tried, we even took a long drive to the apple store to try get a reciept.

The rogers person on the phone was quite rude, I asked nicely and tried to explain best as I could, that I shouldnt have a device balance on my iphone 4, she immediately said " dont call it a device balance, why are you calling it that? the subsidy is tied to your phone number, quit calling it that". Said it sternly too, and I replied, its rogers that calls it that, says so right on my account page, I click on Device Balance Link, then says 400 or something like that. As you can see, I have tried, we been at this issue for about 8 months now I believe.

I'm Here A Lot

and also I did if rogers did own the phone where is the proof? she said they dont have to provide that as all that they know is the someone at the rogers store put it on there and that is that and nothing I can do about it. Only a year and a half left to go on my device balance then I can trade up I guess. But as I said before, never ever let anyone touch your phone for any reason. Rogers does not need to "program" or "set up" your phone, you just put the sim card in yourself and thats it, I have done it twice, one with another rogers phone, and an mts phone.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello donjhenry

Next time you get a rude rep, ask for their name and ask for a manager. If they ask why, explain they they are being rude and not helpful. If they wish not to transfer you to a manager, tell them u will hang up, call back and file Complaint and that u are recording the conversation to prove it. They will transfer you on the spot. You have to show them that u won't be treated like that. Some reps are known to be rude, disgusting and yawn or eat while talking. This again is with all all carriers.

Honestly in the end, the store rep can call in and explain what is going on while you are are there and u can speak to them on the phone at the store. The store rep can help a bit by calling in and speaking to them. Guess they didn't want too?

Again you should NOT have that Flextab aka Device Balance on there. This mistake is done by reps and its not a good thing.