Iphone Data Usage Issue

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kellie0105
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Iphone Data Usage Issue

I received my new iphone 4S on October 17th. My Billing cycle ends on the 20th. So I am on a new second billing cycle with my iphone. I have not moved my sim around to another device so that could not be the issue.

My account states I've used 1.4 Gigs (1433.6 mb) in the current billing cycle so far (From October 21st, 2011 to present). However my iphone statistics say I've only used 1092 mb (148 sent, 944 received) total for the lifespan of my phone(from the 17th til now) The numbers have never been reset, and these 1092 mb also are included in the few days before the current cycle started. I've been bounced around several times (3 times to technical support, along with a few other departments) and no one knows where to point me in the right direction as to find out where the problem is and to get the data correctly charged.

Stoneking
I've Been Around

Same issue here. My billing cycyle is on the 31th, and the system shows that I have used 460mb in less than 2 days. My iphone 4 says it only sent and received a total of less than 60mb since I acquired my iphone on the Oct 28. This is insane. Is this some kind of scam that Rogers could boost their income by charging us incredibily ridiculous data fee during our 3-year term?

Joybell
I've Been Here Awhile

Well, I have made up my mind....

unless I can use Rogers minutes ONLY for calls and text on my new unlocked iphone 4s I will not use Rogers.  There should be a way to use only home wifi.

Robynowitz
I've Been Around

Same problem.

I have a 500mb plan and rarely go over 250 each month, but our internet was down for a week last month. By the time I recieved a text saying I was at 80%, I was over my limit. Now I'm at about 575mb. My bill was due January 30, I paid in full on the 28th. New billing period starting February 1st. It's now the 2nd and it still hasn't reset.

Is it worth calling Rogers or going in to the store, or am I better off just waiting?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

This really is a issue with Apple & not Rogers. Its been known since the iPhone 3G days that people would get lets say 500MB & go over before the month ends. iPhone's tend to take more data when using a application or the internet. I would suggest shutting all the applications before you put the phone on stand by.

@ Robynowitz. You could call Rogers seeing as they do have the info of your bill in their system. The store will not do anything at all. They will tell you to call costumers service. You could wait & see the bill & then call. It's up to you.
SpecialKay
I've Been Around

Please tell me how your situation was resolved. I am having the same problem with Rogers right now on a new Samsung phone that I had physically turned off the data package for a week, turned it on and used it on the road maybe twice to check my bank account, and as I work from home I use wifi 99.9% of the time. I have over $500 in charges too, which is INSANE. They are accusing me of tethering. But my home internet is 50mbps--and I have a wireless router--why on earth would I ever tether and pay hundreds? It simply did not happen. Yet I am being charged and I want a 100% refund because this is an outrage. So far they are offering 50%.

Joe501
I Plan to Stick Around

Has ANYONE had this issue resolved? I have had the same problem also this last billing cycle (and never before then).
reedmunro
I've Been Around

Re: Iphone Data Usage Issue SOLVED

I have SOLVED my issue with excessive data usage. I have an iPhone 5 iOS 6. Long story short delete your icloud account.

I noticed that my “received data” found in: settings-->general-->usage-->cellular Usage was using 1mb every 10 min give or take. I did a lot of research and trial and error to try and figure this out. No luck. I call Rogers and they passed the buck to apple. So I went into an apple store and had a rep look at it. I could recreate the problem so it was clear as day there was an issue. The Apple rep said he had never seen this before… ya right. But he offered to replace the phone, no charge. We then went through setting up the new phone which includes setting up icloud account. After we tested it and the same data usage occurred. The rep then replaces the sim card still same results. The rep was baffled on what it could be. So I suggested that I read online that it could be icloud and so I deleted my icloud account. What do you know it worked no more excessive data usage. Icloud should not use cellular data unless you allow it too, so to me this is obviously icloud/ios6 bug that apple needs to fix. I find it hard to believe I am the first person to bring this up to apple…. Come’on apple….

Hope this helps.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm, interesting, thanks for the info!

I can understand while some people do want it, be able to share/sync their photos, etc while out and about.

But should be an option for sync on wifi only or both.

Sounds like your iCloud was stuck trying to update something continually.

terrygibson1959
I've Been Around

I am having the same thing happen I have been with Rogers 2 years and never went over I got a new iPhone 4S and this month I went way over I don't download or any of that stuff guess I should call them