cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet usage differance???

carman13
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the Rogers Hi-Speed Express  package . Was wondering why I only get 60 gb. And I look at same internet package on site and it says 80 gb for express.. Anyone else notice this??

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Internet usage difference???

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@carman13 wrote:

I have the Rogers Hi-Speed Express  package . Was wondering why I only get 60 gb. And I look at same internet package on site and it says 80 gb for express.. Anyone else notice this??

Many have noticed and many have complained, but to no avail. In order to get the advertised package with 18 Mbps download and the 80 GB usage allowance, you need to switch to one of the newer D3 gateway modems. If you only have a D2 modem (like my own SB5100), you are on the older grandfathered plan - 10 Mbps download and the 60 GB cap. I understand your frustration because I feel it as well. The D2 modem is capable of up to 38 Mbps download and of course usage has nothing at all to do with what kind of modem you have. If you really want the higher speed and usage allowance, you will need to make the switch to a D3 gateway. I warn you though that the built in router suffers from both poor range and dropped connections and of course you will also pay more to purchase or rent the modem. You will most likely want to have the router component disabled (bridge mode) and use your own router. There are other threads on here discussing this issue, such as this one:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/684...

Or have a look here!

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=forum-bo...

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@carman13 wrote:

Many have noticed and many have complained, but to no avail. In order to get the advertised package with 18 Mbps download and the 80 GB usage allowance, you need to switch to one of the newer D3 gateway modems. If you only have a D2 modem (like my own SB5100), you are on the older grandfathered plan - 10 Mbps download and the 60 GB cap. I understand your frustration because I feel it as well. The D2 modem is capable of up to 38 Mbps download and of course usage has nothing at all to do with what kind of modem you have. If you really want the higher speed and usage allowance, you will need to make the switch to a D3 gateway. I warn you though that the built in router suffers from both poor range and dropped connections and of course you will also pay more to purchase or rent the modem. You will most likely want to have the router component disabled (bridge mode) and use your own router. There are other threads on here discussing this issue, such as this one:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/684...

Or have a look here!

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=forum-bo...

View solution in original post

As IHR said, the higher speed/cap, requires the D3 modem/gateway.

One thing i have noticed myself, is if you look on the usage meter on the website, it only shows the lower cap, even though you are on the higher plan.

(unless this a bug with my account for some reason.. i dont go near the cap anyways.)

Scratch my above statment.

Just called to check.
Just as a farwarning, when/if anyone else does go and upgrade to the new gateway, to gain the new caps.

IF you are on express.. and rent the new modem, does not mean that you will auto get the new cap, by just swaping the modem.

There is the OLD express plan (lets call it A) which is 48.99 - old modem & 60g cap

There is the NEW express plan (lets call it B) which is 48.99 - new modem and 80g cap

Anyone who had/has the old modem is on plan A... by just switching the modem, doesnt automaticaly switch your plan to B.

You could be sitting on plan A still, with the new modem.

So TECHNICALY for a few months, i have been shorted 20g of usage 😛  But i only ever even came near that one month.. im normaly at 30% or so.. so not a big deal.. but nice to get it sorted out.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

So I guess what you are saying Gdkitty, is that if you decide to swap out your old D2 modem for a D3 in order to take advantage of the higher speeds and usage allowances, you had better verify that you have been switched to the new plan and not left on the older grandfathered plan! How nice of Rogers to do that to you!!

well, i dont directly blame rogers per say for it..

I blame the stupid person at the store, where i exchanged the modems 😛

Like on the phone, its hit and miss, getting a good one or a bad one.  The guy there should have known enough to switch it over as well, but didnt.  Im sure it wasnt done on purpose 😛

Re: Internet usage differance???

carman13
I've Been Here Awhile

Don't matter now, i'm switching providers.. Good luck rogers.....