Internet spikes/lag.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Re: Internet spikes/lag.

I don't know what Bell is like but pretty soon I will let you know....

I have had ENOUGH with so-called technicians and the telephone support.

I am getting time-outs daily and messages are not getting to me.

Messages not loading

Errors with can't connect - try agains etc. daily

(This often occurs before a MAJOR service interruption.)

I have had Rogers for YEARS but NEVER had so many problems as now. (Of course the issues are all "my fault" etc.

Thanks

Dez1234
I've Been Around

I am in the same boat my friend.

today was the final straw when i contacted rogers support for the fourth time regarding the lag,dc issues, and all around terrible service the past few weeks. I asked if they have had any recent reports on rogers saying they will look into the problem or if they are going to fix it since there are multiple threads and forums saying people are having the same problem. The Tecg goes through the required lets turn your router and modem on off and all that, He then proceeds to tell me there is nothing he can do since there is no "problem" so i say i have tried everything including open all the ports and his response was i have no clue how to open ports or what they are... This was a technician that said this, It blew my mind. Long story short im switching to bell tomorrow i cant take the constant problems rogers has been giving me, it reminds me to much of the throttling a few years back they were doing. I will report back with how Bell is.

deathjam4
I've Been Around

Hi im a rogers customer as well tho my landlord pays for it. I have had lots of bad experiance with stability with rogers for my games. The first month i oved in me and the landlord had to replace the Antique router 4 times before i said ok enough is enough give us the latest router available or we leave. Had noticably less issues but the hitaron is not the best router either... Any ways i did some ping tests and tracer tests myself and find that the hubs in toronto are the worest places for your internet flow to go. The southern hub has any where from 85-100% packet loss and the northern one in vaughan has any where from 45-75% packet loss 24 hrs a day.

Rogers is lazy and want more money, so they just keep stacking people on outdated servers that can't handle the amount of push and pull data going threw them. My best advice is go with a carrier that is not the big guy but the little guy since most little guy connections have service provided by all the major players and can throtle to either one or the other depending on how the connection is. Or you can straight up swap to bell. Fiberoptic net is the fastest they have to offer and i never had a problem with it before i moved. If i had the option i would have it installed right now, but not my house not my net. Next place will be bell no and ifs or buts about it.

Oh and rogers so called fiber optic is the same old coaxal cable it was before. They jsut renamed it fiber optic to sucker you into thinking it is better. Real fiber optic has a light capture box since the signal is all light based.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@deathjam4 wrote:

Oh and rogers so called fiber optic is the same old coaxal cable it was before. They jsut renamed it fiber optic to sucker you into thinking it is better. Real fiber optic has a light capture box since the signal is all light based.

That is only PARTIALLY right.

Rogers names (which are now not even named that anymore either), anre what they call a HYBRID network.  Its fiber to the node, then coax to your house.

But unless you have DIRECT fiber to your house.. (which rogers actually does provide in a few selece areas.. same with bell)..

Bell 'Fibe' Is NOT fiber to your house.
Its actually NO different than Rogers in that regard.  Its fiber to the node, then twisted pair (phone line) to your house.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

I heard that about Bell and Rogers (from Bell techs about Rogers and from Rogers techs about Bell)

You know the saying "a chain is as strong as its weakest link." - Does that work in this case?

I.E. that neither Bell nor Rogers are any better / faster than coaxial cable?

Both companies are being honest (to me):

They do have fiber optics in my neighborhood (but I cannot take advantage of it until the part from where the cable branches off to my house and all inside connections are changed to fiber optics?)

RogersArthur
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @YtanyaY,

Thank You for your post.

I understand your dilemma and it sounds like you've had your fair share of Internet experiences and looking to venture out to try something different. We're always working to deliver the best high speed Internet services to our customers so they can continue to Surf, stream, game or download at consistent speeds. You can click here for more information. Whatever you decide to choose or wherever you end up your feedback to the Community would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
RogersArthur

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@YtanyaY wrote:

I heard that about Bell and Rogers (from Bell techs about Rogers and from Rogers techs about Bell)

You know the saying "a chain is as strong as its weakest link." - Does that work in this case?

I.E. that neither Bell nor Rogers are any better / faster than coaxial cable?

Both companies are being honest (to me):

They do have fiber optics in my neighborhood (but I cannot take advantage of it until the part from where the cable branches off to my house and all inside connections are changed to fiber optics?)

Yeah, unless/until you get fiber directly into the house, your never going to get any insanely best link possible compared to other methods. (but the $$ may be much higher as well).  Direct fiber is best.  But sparsely available.  Doesnt mean that OTHER methods are bad 🙂

Both Rogers and Bell, are FTTN.  Fiber to the node.  From point to point on any major runs, etc, are usually all done with Fiber.  Its only from the last node to your house.. usually in the subdivision or area.  From that point on, it takes the specific method of that provider.

Rogers, does regular coax to your closest box near the house, then usually a larger coax type feed... which transports multiple peoples worth of connections back to the node..

Bell does phone line, usually back to the node itself 1:1.
This is where it USED to be, that 'congestion' happened sometimes on cable.. but with the multi channel were it can spread it around to not crouded freqencies.. not a huge difference.

Personally is one better than the other??
Cable.. i think has a higher freqency range capable.. so more POTENTIAL to have faster speeds, etc.  BUT the funnel effect, yes still could effect speeds/connections.  Thats where phone line comes in.
I think... a lot comes down to infrastructure... how OLD the house is, the lines are, etc... which are better in that area.

YtanyaY
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hi,

I am not clear on this:

"Rogers, does regular coax to your closest box near the house, then usually a larger coax type feed... which transports multiple peoples worth of connections back to the node.." (What do you mean by multiple peoples)?

My understanding: On street it is fiber optic. To house (i.e. to the box outside) = it is coaxial cable?

Distal to the outside box (going into the house through the walls etc.)... what does it matter what the material is? I don't see how efficiency can improve once it's "slowed down" in the coaxial segments.

Doesn't the coaxial part permanently lose a lot of the fiberoptic's features?

I would think the only way to benefit from fiberoptics, is using fiberoptic connections from the street to the house.. (As you say $$$).

I can see cable being better than copper BUT I cannot see either bringing any benefit into the house.

(I am referring to "downloading (to the TV) Rogers outside (or Bell outside) to digital box.)

Thanks

jimboden
I'm an Advisor

RogersArthur:

Don't sell yourself short. That link you provided is way out-of-date. It refers to the old, no longer available Hybrid Fiber 150/15 package, which I have. That package actually gives me speeds of 200mbps plus when downloading from game sites like Steam and Origin. It can sustain speeds of 1.2GB per minute, which is really impressive. Smiley Happy

This is the link to the current Ignite packages: http://www.rogers.com/consumer/internet where the advertised top speed is 250mbps. I believe it actually delivers speeds around 300mbps.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

All depends on where you are, as to what the street would be.. but more likely not fiber, as far as i am aware.

If you look in one of the rogers boxes on the street.. you will see a bunch of houses regular coax lines comming in.  From there you will often just see a MUCH bigger copper line going off.
If it was fiber on the street, each box would have to be a converter.. which is really usually only done at the NODE as far as i am aware... as its much more expensive.
(called OSLAMS on bell i beleive... not sure with rogers)

That node, is where any major work is done.. where its converted to the LARGER transport along the fiber which has TONS of bandwidth available.

With cable, think of it as a branch that keeps forking off.. going further forking again, etc..  In that way, rogers lines are more 'shared'  (thats what i meant by multiple people)

Vs bell, where its often the same pair which ends up going right back to the node, before switched over to fiber.  Not shared.

Yes, either way, they are a significant 'drop' from the potential of the fiber.. its going to choke down to those mediums maximums.

But even with them.. the hardware on the ends, can make a big difference.
Those same Bell coper lines between the nodes...  Basic DSL will max at 6mbps.. but upgrade the node and a different modem to the user.. they can now do bell fibe speeds.

Same goes with rogers.  Lines on the streets really havent changed..  But upgrade the nodes.. and integrate stuff like the d3 modems.. you go from 8-12mb like 10 years ago.. up to like 150+ now.  (the d3 standard can technically do like 900+mbps download or something like that with the right configuation, nodes, etc)