Internet spikes/lag.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Internet spikes/lag.

Recently i have been getting HUGE lag spikes. i did the speedtest and i got 60ms and i usually get 13ms. When playing league of legends i get lag spikes up to 5000 ping. I thought rogers has high speed. Only 2 people in the house is using the interent when i lag.

anyone else having these problems?

***edited labels***

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet spikes/lag.

Try speedtest.net, and try a few locations, see if you get the same pings

There seems to be some routing issues in the yahoo direction lately with a node not responding, so if going that direction could cause some

If you have the server IP for LoL, I would try a trace route for it (can post it here) and we can see if there is a node down somewhere and likely who it is that has to fix it.

Azuri21
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm suffering huge lag spikes, timeouts etc. Speedtest also times out been noticing this since Friday no changes at my end. Past experiance is not to call Rogers since you I'll go through the same useless steps when ever there is an issue that typically goes away once they fix the issue at their end but will always find some way to blame you for the issue. Calling tech support is one of the most fustrating annyoing things to do for me anyways espically if no changes have been done at my end.

I doubt there is one or two people only with this issue or they don't come here to post.

To be continued.....

RDL67
I've Been Here Awhile

I've been having this same problem for about 2 weeks.  I play a lot of online games and as you can imagine, this is very annoying.  I've had about 5 rogers techs come to my house since this problem started about this time last year.  It went away for a while but now it's returned as of two weeks ago. 

They will send a useless tech to your house who knows less than you do when you phone, again trying to blame the problem on you when it's a matter of them overselling their nodes. 

Best advice I can give is phone and ask to speak to someone at "customer attention", not customer service and demand a discount.  Ironically someone from Bell knocked on my door yesterday asking if I wanted to switch....  truth be told, if I didn't purchase a nextbox at Christmas I probably would have.

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

The department is actually called Customer Retention, not attention 

Azuri21
I Plan to Stick Around

@RDL67 wrote:

I've been having this same problem for about 2 weeks.  I play a lot of online games and as you can imagine, this is very annoying.  I've had about 5 rogers techs come to my house since this problem started about this time last year.  It went away for a while but now it's returned as of two weeks ago. 

They will send a useless tech to your house who knows less than you do when you phone, again trying to blame the problem on you when it's a matter of them overselling their nodes. 

Best advice I can give is phone and ask to speak to someone at "customer attention", not customer service and demand a discount.  Ironically someone from Bell knocked on my door yesterday asking if I wanted to switch....  Truth be told, if I didn't purchase a nextbox at Christmas I probably would have.

RDL67 I'm not certain we've got the same issues mine has only been since Friday or Saturday. Typically any issues I have don't get fixed on a weekend especially a long weekend since the techs who can actually fix things are off until Tuesday in this case.

My routine when my internet goes for a dump is pretty consistent. Warm/Cold reboot, reboot modem, flush DNS/release IP address then make certain things like browser/Java/Flash etc etc are current. Ensure no weird firewall or blocker of some sort snuck it's way in. There maybe a few other time wasting steps I go through to ensure it's not at my end. At that point I just shrug my shoulders and say yup it's Rogers again since calling tech support results in a form letter checklist of the things I've already done and them "spying" into my modem results in the same answer "We so no issues can we book a tech to come out to inspect" which results in zero fixes since they've done every signal boost and connection check in previous visits.

At this point it's time to find something else to do until the real techs fix the problem at their end (Replacing the hamster that spins the wheel that died over the weekend) that only can be addressed during normal working hours Monday to Friday. (Replacing the hamster that spins the wheel that died over the weekend powering something)

My sarcastic write up is based upon actual experience since I've been an internet customer since it's launch in my area so it may sound a bit "**bleep**ish" it pretty much hits the nail on the head. As far as your 2+ week scenario goes I had an issue that was ongoing while playing World of Warcraft that had me disconnect regularly for no apparent reasoning that just magically went away after several weeks. I think they pushed a new build to our modems that changed the way packet shaping works I forget. Anyways I had techs here blah blah blah it's my end blah blah blah. It went away eventually once again with no interaction from me at my end. Riddle that one. 😉

Good Luck with your issues!

goodrix
I've Been Here Awhile

It would be interesting to know what area all of you are. I'm in Markham and we started having lag spikes and connection drops since 3-4 weeks ago. After numerous calls to the customer sevice and a number of techs who came over to measure the signal and change splits, I finally got through to the Customer Appreciation Team.

They sent last week a senior tech that came over and talked to us. He said he has been surveiling my whole neighborhoud for the past 2 days and noticed a significant number of customers with modems dropping connection. He aknowledged the issue is not within my walls but with some node somewhere. He left saying his next step would be to submit a maintenance request for the said node and then he will come back in the area to measure signals and make sure the problem is solved. He assured me there will be no more lvl 1 techs coming over and also that he will not close this ticket untill we get our service back to normal levels. 

So far I'm still having issues but I'm not expecting them to work over the long weekend. I will keep you posted if they manage to fix it or not. 

I would advise all of you who have experiencing re-occuring issues to ask to get transfered to Cusomer Appreciation Team. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

For all of you, just to try and help narrow down what this is..

Of you are having an drop or lag going to a specific site or game, please do a traceroute and post the results if possible.

Need to track down what node and where, weither inside or outside the Rogers network.
(For the person above with the wow problem, this effected me too, and I deal with the tech MVPs often, and it was caused by a node down somewhere in the is between us and the wow servers. )

Azuri21
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:
For all of you, just to try and help narrow down what this is..

Of you are having an drop or lag going to a specific site or game, please do a traceroute and post the results if possible.

Need to track down what node and where, weither inside or outside the Rogers network.
(For the person above with the wow problem, this effected me too, and I deal with the tech MVPs often, and it was caused by a node down somewhere in the is between us and the wow servers. )

Hi Gdkitty,

Here's a couple first is to the image hosting site I use Imgur

C:\Users\Ivy Bridge>tracert imgur.com

Tracing route to imgur.com [23.23.110.81]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  phub.net.cable.rogers.com [192.168.0.1]
  2     *        7 ms     7 ms  7.56.32.1
  3     9 ms    11 ms    11 ms  69.63.254.105
  4     *       12 ms    11 ms  so-5-1-3.gw02.mtnk.phub.net.cable.rogers.com [66
.185.81.181]
  5    10 ms    11 ms    11 ms  24.156.156.42
  6     *       25 ms    27 ms  64.71.241.110
  7    25 ms    25 ms    25 ms  72.21.221.56
  8    30 ms    28 ms    25 ms  72.21.220.29
  9    26 ms     *       41 ms  205.251.245.65
 10     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13    26 ms    25 ms    28 ms  216.182.224.211
 14     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 15     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 16     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 17     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 18     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 19     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 20     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 21     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 22     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 23     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 24     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 25     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 26     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 27     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 28     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 29     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 30     *        *        *     Request timed out.

Trace complete.

May as well throw in some Facebook

C:\Users\Ivy Bridge>tracert facebook.com

Tracing route to facebook.com [173.252.110.27]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1    <1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  phub.net.cable.rogers.com [192.168.0.1]
  2     *        *        8 ms  7.56.32.1
  3     9 ms    10 ms    11 ms  69.63.254.105
  4    12 ms    19 ms     *     24.156.156.149
  5    30 ms    23 ms    25 ms  64.71.240.66
  6    23 ms    29 ms    25 ms  xe-1-1-0.br01.lga1.tfbnw.net [198.32.118.27]
  7    25 ms    74 ms    31 ms  ae1.bb01.lga1.tfbnw.net [31.13.30.10]
  8    37 ms    32 ms    29 ms  ae18.bb01.iad1.tfbnw.net [204.15.20.128]
  9     *       45 ms    45 ms  ae8.bb01.frc1.tfbnw.net [31.13.24.32]
 10    42 ms    40 ms    39 ms  ae1.dr01.frc1.tfbnw.net [31.13.24.15]
 11     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 12     *        *        *     Request timed out.
 13    40 ms    39 ms    42 ms  edge-star-shv-13-frc1.facebook.com [173.252.110.
27]

Trace complete.

Not to mention my e-mail chokes out all the time too. My ping generally is in the 6-8ms range when things are normal I see with each hop it continues to increase and asterics if I'm not mistaken are also an indication of time-outs.

As I said before I expect the problem to mystersiouly vanish early next week when the techs come in and re-boot or fix whatever the real issue is. If you have some insight to my tracerouts please advise.

Thanks!

Azuri21
I Plan to Stick Around

Oh I should mention uploading is impossible I've tried to upload photos to both Imgur and Photobucket and both sites just eventually time out and the upload fails.