cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet speed is different than the info page

familymak
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi, I log in to my Roger page. It says "Your Rogers Hi-Speed Extreme gives you 95 gigabytes every month". I then found out in the comparison page that: Express: 70 GB Usage Extreme: 120 GB Usage The question is, how come my service has different usage amount than the extreme pakage? note: I am using package that includes cable TV, Telephone and Internet.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Internet speed is different than the info page

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are different speeds/bandwith caps, based on the modem you use.

If you use a newer docsis 3 modem (cisco gateway, etc) you will get the faster speeds and cap.. but if you on one of the older modems, you will get the lower values.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are different speeds/bandwith caps, based on the modem you use.

If you use a newer docsis 3 modem (cisco gateway, etc) you will get the faster speeds and cap.. but if you on one of the older modems, you will get the lower values.

View solution in original post

familymak
I Plan to Stick Around
I see. I am using Motorola SB5100. Thanks for your reply. I think I should get a Motorola SB6xxx something 🙂

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

@familymak wrote:
I see. I am using Motorola SB5100. Thanks for your reply. I think I should get a Motorola SB6xxx something 🙂

Unfortunately, Rogers only authorizes 2 models that you can use - SMC and CISCO. While it would be great if Rogers would authorize a stand alone D3 modem such as the Motorola 6101, at this point, they will not. So basically, you are stuck with the garbage that they will allow you to have and as many customers do, have the modem placed in bridge mode so that you can use your own router!

familymak
I Plan to Stick Around

*sighs* I really hope they will authorize more models as you said but for now, I think I will stay with SB5100 even though it does not get the full potential out of the extreme plan. Or maybe I should even consider downgrading my plan to express to save another $10.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

I sigh too every time I look at what Rogers has to offer. I have Express with the SB5100 and for now I am sticking with it. Why would I want to get a sub-par modem when the one I have now is problem free. I have no problems with the range or dropped connections using my D-Link router. So they expect me to take a garbage modem for a little higher speed and a measly 10 GB more per month? No thanks! On a side note, it would not surprise me at all if you downgrade to Express, that knowing Rogers, they would tell you to "upgrade your modem" anyway! LOL!

familymak
I Plan to Stick Around

indeed Smiley Tongue

Kevin711
I've Been Here Awhile

YES - I noticed this also, spoke to customer service, she told me (in a VERY rude manner) "incase you didn't know, your modem won't reach to 70GB/months" I explained to her that the modem has nothing to do with wether i can reach the extra 10GB, I have gone over 60 GB many times. What I wanted to know was why did my rates increase but my cap stay at 60GB. Again she said its because I have an old modem that can't reach that limit, so i cut her off and asked to speak to I.T.

I.T confirmed that YES it can go over 60/GB, the reason  they won't increase me to 70/GB is because they want you to buy a newer modem (or rent).

The funniest part of all of this is during the entire phone conversations, my wonderful, amaizing Rogers home phone crackled and crackled so bad that the conversation had to pause wait for it to finish and continue.

Great job Rogers - Raise rates but not service. Give only the NEW customers deals, but the customers that have been with you for years, stick it to them.

familymak
I Plan to Stick Around
"the reason they won't increase me to 70/GB is because they want you to buy a newer modem" That is just ridiculous. I seriously believe Rogers needs more competitors in order to get their attitude fixed.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

I have been saying this all along! Rogers is attempting to entice people into upgrading to their D3 modems by increasing the speed and providing a measly 10 GB more per month in bandwidth (Express). Then of course, they will charge you an extra $3 per month rental fee while at the same time providing you with a gateway where, in many instances, the router must be disabled! It is just ludicrous that Rogers can continue to get away with this!

Topic Stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation