cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet sharing problem?

liushuofeng
I Plan to Stick Around

I just bought lumia 900 today and I found out I can't use the internet tethering feature.

When I am in Setting>Internet Sharing, I press "On", it will say:"internet sharing isn't currently allowed".

Do anyone else have the same problem like mine? Anyone have a clue about it?

I can use my iphone to tethering, but not lumia 900......

******* Edit labels ********

82 REPLIES 82

Re: Internet sharing problem?

lynam
I'm Here A Lot

Hi, it's me again!

I went back to Rogers today and as many people said on the forum "Upgrade to an LTE plan", the guy told me that in order to change to an LTE plan he would have to replace my 3g 6GB plan for a 1GB LTE plan for 30$. And if it didn't work, that it would be impossible for him to revert back to the 3G 6GB data plan at 30$ because its not available for the moment.

I showed him the above post (Arras88) and told him about the unlimited plan for 25$. He told me "I can't do that, but call to this number 514-734-7873". I did.

The woman told me that I did need to convert to an LTE plan (better experience than my preivous call to tech support) and told me that she had to transfer me to another person since I have an business plan. Once transfered, the other woman proceed with the change... within 1 minute I had something that I never saw before on my phone "LTE" at the top instead of 4G. So if you only see 4G at the top instead of LTE, that means that you don't have an LTE plan!

So, I'm now on an LTE plan. She has also converted my wife's plan from a 1GB/30$ plan to a 6GB/30$ plan LTE. She told me that it would work on here Sony Ericsson X10 even if it's only 3G. She confirm me that data will work on my nokia even if not on LTE network.

Sorry @Mayoo for taking so much time before really listening to you, you were right. For the other, If you have problem and get someone from support telling you are wrong, call the above number. I don't know if it's different from normal support, but they have at least one person working there who knew what I was talking about!

I'm now VERY happy! Btw, she confirmed me the hotfix for the Lumia 900 is comming on april 23rd.

ML

lynam
I'm Here A Lot

I've received an email from Rogers following the changes with an attached PDF describing the changes: (sorry it's in french)

for my cell phone:

=====================================

Ajout et changement

Ajout effectué le 20 avril 2012 - Forfait Données LTE 6Go 30,00 $

CONSEIL! Pour obtenir plus de détails sur la transmission de données sans-fil, sur Internet

sans fil et sur la façon de vérifier votre utilisation de données, consultez

http://www.rogers.com/guidedonnees.

Durée de l'entente de service: 36mois

Date de début de l'entente: 20 avril 2012 et Date d'échéance de l'entente: 20 avril 2015

Annulation ou suppression

Annulation effectuée le 20 avril 2012 - Forfait Données 6 Go 30,00 $

and for my wife's cell phone:

Ajout et changement

Ajout effectué le 20 avril 2012 - Forfait Données LTE 6Go 30,00 $

CONSEIL! Pour obtenir plus de détails sur la transmission de données sans-fil, sur Internet

sans fil et sur la façon de vérifier votre utilisation de données, consultez

http://www.rogers.com/guidedonnees.

Durée de l'entente de service: 36mois

Date de début de l'entente: 20 avril 2012 et Date d'échéance de l'entente: 20 avril 2015

Annulation ou suppression

Annulation effectuée le 20 avril 2012 - Forfait Données 1 Go 30,00 $

Annulation effectuée le 20 avril 2012 - util. app.modemsans fil 0,00 $

tekguy26
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers has NOT trained their support staff on this phone at all. Just for kicks, when my data connection stopped working, I decided to give them a call, just so they can log the issue. Clearly this was related to that bug that's all over the internet.

Me: Hello, I'm calling to report a problem with my new Windows phone.

Rogers: OK, let me try to help you. What phone is it?

Me: Umm, Lumia 900.

<brief pause>

Rogers: Is that Samsung, I can't find it.

<palm on forehead>

Me: No, it's Nokia.

Rogers: OK, have you tried shutting it off?

Me: Yes.

Rogers: Then next step would be to remove the battery.

Me: This phone doesn't have a removable battery.

Anyway, this goes on for some time, and I'm clearly getting more frustrated by the minute. Then eventually he comes back after speaking to someone in tier 2 and tells me, this is a known issue for this phone. Have you called Nokia?

This is when i LOSE it. Becuase in the past, when I called the manufacturer directly to resolve a phone issue (Apple), Rogers refused to do anything about my over charges (due to redialing of dropped calls), because I didn't call their support line.

It's not fair to say ALL their staff are like this, but the few times I had to call, this was the level of service I received.

I hope this fix comes soon.

In case anybody from Rogers is reading this, the interaction number was I-489664950.

Good day!

Mayoo
I Plan to Stick Around

@lynam wrote:

Hi, it's me again!

I went back to Rogers today and as many people said on the forum "Upgrade to an LTE plan", the guy told me that in order to change to an LTE plan he would have to replace my 3g 6GB plan for a 1GB LTE plan for 30$. And if it didn't work, that it would be impossible for him to revert back to the 3G 6GB data plan at 30$ because its not available for the moment.

I showed him the above post (Arras88) and told him about the unlimited plan for 25$. He told me "I can't do that, but call to this number 514-734-7873". I did.

The woman told me that I did need to convert to an LTE plan (better experience than my preivous call to tech support) and told me that she had to transfer me to another person since I have an business plan. Once transfered, the other woman proceed with the change... within 1 minute I had something that I never saw before on my phone "LTE" at the top instead of 4G. So if you only see 4G at the top instead of LTE, that means that you don't have an LTE plan!

So, I'm now on an LTE plan. She has also converted my wife's plan from a 1GB/30$ plan to a 6GB/30$ plan LTE. She told me that it would work on here Sony Ericsson X10 even if it's only 3G. She confirm me that data will work on my nokia even if not on LTE network.

@sorry @Mayoo for taking so much time before really listening to you, you were right. For the other, If you have problem and get someone from support telling you are wrong, call the above number. I don't know if it's different from normal support, but they have at least one person working there who knew what I was talking about!

I'm now VERY happy! Btw, she confirmed me the hotfix for the Lumia 900 is comming on april 23rd.

ML

Cool .. i got the 6GB LTE Plan for $30 as well .. and got unlimited until my next bill cycle due to the issue i am having .. loving using Skype on the road ( Passenger)  while on LTE for 30min 🙂 

araas88
I'm Here A Lot

@stevenliu12

It would be i belevie but here in london, we dont have LTE (IT BITES) we just have "4G"

stevencwong
I'm Here A Lot

I can also now confirm the 6gb $30 per month LTE plas is available as an upgrade from the 6gb $30 3g plan. After changing over I had top pop out my sim card, boot my phone, then restart it, then put it back in and restarted it to get internet access, even though the lte icon was showing . Good luck!!

disolitude
I'm Here A Lot

So are they working on making Lumia 900 work on 3G/4G data plans as well or is their solution to this just to switch you to LTE plan? Would be nice if they can do both as LTE is no use to me where I live...

I have posted a few notes back that it now works with 3G too.  I just switched since for me, I'm paying the same price for LTE as I was for 3G.

^

Thanks. I'll wait for this update and see what it does and then I'll call tech support with any outstanding issues...

RealtorTechGuy
I Plan to Stick Around
Anyone else still having issue with tethering after the update? My feature is hit and miss. Sometimes activates and sometimes dies not. Get an error msg "....not allowed at this time".

Mayoo
I Plan to Stick Around

two things we are hearing and please take look at the 'post update testing thread' 

- you need to call and explicitly tell the tech support guy to 'enable' tethering option 

- you may need LTE Data Plan .. 

Try the first option 

dr_fowler
I Plan to Stick Around

- you need to call and explicitly tell the tech support guy to 'enable' tethering option 

I had this already as I was tethering prior to getting the Lumia, so there is something different with how the Lumia detects your data plan to previous Windows Phone devices.

- you may need LTE Data Plan .. 

This fixed it for me, but a comparable LTE plan may or may not be available to everyone.  It should work on a non-LTE plan but it certainly appears that the Lumia is looking for a LTE. 

RealtorTechGuy
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi there, you seem to be the only recieving the same error message as I - Internet Sharing isn't currently allowed.  I have an LTE plan, have had my SIM settings refreshed multiple times, have called Nokia and Rogers tons of times.  I can get the Internet sharing to connect and work if I set the Data speed to 3G.  Mind you this is 100% all the time either.  99%. Then sometimes when i do connect and successful turn on internet sharing i can surf and others times i cannot.

Is your phone working 100% correctly all the time now?  Are you able to turn on Internet sharing 100% regardless of the connection speed or the number of signal bars?  does your connection allow Interent Access?

Worndering if i have a bummed device.

thank you.

I had an issue whereby I couldn't tether (share) via an LTE connection.  It would only work in 3G (4G).  I called up Rogers and the issue was on their end so they did what they had to do and then, eureka, my LTE tethering started to work,  I had to simply turn off the phone for 2 minutes and turn it back on.

Been surfing away at LTE speeds for that past week now since that fix...

The issue isn't the Lumia.  Its Rogers just not knowing what the **bleep** they are doing yet when it comes to LTE Windoed phones.  The iPhone must have fried their brains,

Hopefully we can be done the iPhone is #1 nonesense once and for all.  Its a good phone but its not #1.  No phone is really #1...

I have exactly the same problem. No tethering in LTE but if I back it off to 3G works like a charm. I called "technical support" and the advice was to download a third party tethering app from the marketplace. The CSR was unable to name the app. Good grief. I quoted this message about successful resolution of the LTE tethering and was met with a wall of silence. 

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to get "real" technical support from Rogers and successfully resolve this issue I would be grateful. 

Go what I did.  Call them and **bleep** about it.

They will transfer it to Level 2 and it will take 3-5 days.  In my case it took 3.  Business Days.... 🙂

Good Luck!

RealtorTechGuy, I'm in the same boat, with the same problem and having called Rogers numerous times.  I can SOMETIMES get it to work on 3G, but even when it connects it's extremely slow.

My issue has been raised, and I'm still waiting for a call from Rogers, but my frustration level is growing.

Mayoo
I Plan to Stick Around

Please welcome me to the same issue !!! 😞 .. Everything worked fine and today i got switched to LTE 6GB Data Sharing Plan .. and Boom not working on LTE .. On third Tech Support Call. Its atleast connecting on 3G and 4G

** UPDATE**

Tech was good, worked along with Second leval tech support and found its a provisioning issue. case created and i should be able to get an answer in 72hrs

RealtorTechGuy
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok, good to know I am not the only one still having this issue. It is getting kinda of commical.  Good thing I love the device and the OS and am an MS fan at heart.  Have been dealing with tech support for about 2 weeks now and three different Teir 2 folks.

To be clear, the issue I am having is not so much that tethering will not work but cannot be activated on the LTE network.  When I am in the LTE zone and try to activate tethering it says "Internet Sharing isnt's allowed".  Same issue as others?  I have:

- reset (standard suggestion from EVERYONE in Rogers and Nokia

- forced 3G and it works no issue

- had everyone look at my plan and add additional APNs

- the last tier 2 dude got me to get a new LTE SIM

Just got off the phone with them again and Rogers tech supp is escalting a again!!!!

Spock_Lebanon - did they say what they changed?  Do you have a 6GB data plan?

Keep you posted folks.

RealtorTechGuy
I Plan to Stick Around
check out my last post, been dealing with this for 2 weeks! lets stay in touch and if one of us gets it fixed we can hopefully share the fix.

any chance you know what they did? What settings were change? Do you have a 6GB data plan?