Internet problems, how do I get a hold of someone who can help me and how can I formally complain?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Internet problems, how do I get a hold of someone who can help me and how can I formally complain?

So my internet hasn't properly been working for at least two weeks now. It cuts out on a regular basis for a few minutes and above that, I've had at least two outages. I'm also experiencing speeds that are far below what I am paying for.

I spoke to one agent last week, to which they told me there was a network outage in the area and that someone had to be sent. Aside from the fact that it was fixed within a couple of hours (which I am quite sure things don't get done that fast), I was able to send and receive a limited number of messages via Skype, which would not be possible in a network outage. Thus, I am sure that it wasn't and they simply said so to cover themselves.

Today, I spoke to an agent again about poor service. They refused to continue helping me until I disconnected my router. Since my modem connects to my router and then back into a desktop (not the computer I was using), and the router is indeed working, the request they had would not have been useful. There was still a direct connection to a computer for them to use and it shouldn't affect anything on their end (which the problem clearly is).

Is there a way I can speak to someone who will actually be able to help me resolve my issue? Secondly, is there a way I can formally complain about the service I received from the chat agent? I was thoroughly dissatisfied with the agent who was not able to help me in any way. I asked for them to explain why they needed me to disconnect the router (if there was a valid reason, it would have been done), but they could not explain why other than "we can't help you while you're using a router".

Thanks.

***edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Internet problems, how do I get a hold of someone who can help me and how can I formally complai

I completely understand your frustration with the poor service you're receiving for over the roof prices.

I highly doubt you'll be able to reach someone that can actually help you resolve your issue unless you make a serious complaint about it. There's a form in contact us on the website that lets you make complaints, except the amount of "pre-steps" they require you to fill in before actually even sending it out just makes it look like Rogers don't want to actually deal with any issue so that they put all the barriers on their paying customers to suck it up and deal with it since they know most of them are bound by contracts.

Ever since I started using my internet service in 2007, I've experienced random disconnections, complete outages, partial outage with extremely high latency on a frequent basis. Aside from that, I get way lower connection speed on a regular basis than what my package claims that I'm paying for. Last year, after finally deciding to go for a higher bandwidth allowance per month on a special offer, I've had to contact them 3 times to actually receive the package even though I'm paying for it. Then two month later I found out that my internet speed didn't change because of a wiring problem and they had to send a technician to fix it.

Today I've been experiencing constant disconnects and reconnects, and when I called customer service they pretty much gave me the "can't do anything til the morning then we'll call you to arrange for a technician". I'm about 1 disconnect from just breaking the contract at any cost and going with another service. The level of poor customer service and support is completely unacceptable for the rates they're charging, not to mention all the other methods they use to extract every penny possible out of you. It makes me feel like I'm witnessing Enron's energy provider service with all kinds of shady methods.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet problems, how do I get a hold of someone who can help me and how can I formally complai

As for getting the help.. try to ask to talk to a senoir or supervisor.. if you feel you are not getting the right service.

While i dont work for rogers.. i 100% agree with what the rep asked you to do though.
The router, is not their device.. they dont know what the settings are set upon it.. if its functioning, etc.
It is process of ilimination.   You remove the router, and go straight from modem to PC.. if the problem is still happening, they remove the router as causing the problem (which it could be).. then narrow it down to possible PC or modem from that point.

That is farily common practice in trouble shooting.. you remove any extrenious things.. to narrow down if it fixes the problem, that one of those things was causing it.. you run just the bare min and if working, work back up till you find whats causing it.

Now, i am not saying its your router causing the problem.. like you said, the problem is likely on THEIR side.  BUT, for testing things on your end.. process of ilminiation.. they were following the right things to ask you to do.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I understand how the process of elimination works, it's just that when your customer says "I am sure the router is working and I'm a computer science major", you may give them the benefit of the doubt. And aside from that, they could have even said so. When I simply inquired why, they couldn't answer the quesiton. It felt like I was speaking to a robot to be perfectly honest. Even still, it doesn't mean they simply refuse to do anything else. Considering it's not my router, we could just assume it isn't and continue on.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You would be suprised.. I myself, am a CS major, been working as a systems analsyst/admin for around 10 years.. and the number of times i have said that i am SURE something isnt the problem.. but then tried and removed it anyways, and it fixed the problem 😛
Again, not saying it is in your case 🙂

Unfortunately, the phone techs at the first level, are not always completely technicaly trained per say.. at least not necessarily to the same level that say you are i through school.

They are set to ask questions, yes pretty much scripted from a database, and that is one of the things that they are asked to, ask you do it.. its quite possibly policy.

In the past.. i would often just say YES to get onto the next step, even though the router was there 😛

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I actually went ahead and connected my laptop to my modem directly. After about 20 minutes of him durdling and me running ifconfig -a and traceroute, he came to the conclusion that he couldn't help me and that he'd escalate the case. He's asking me if my cable appears damaged...I'm pretty sure I'd get consistent problems if the physical hardware was broken.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Mostly yes.. but not necessisarily.. if say the cable was making 3/4 of a connection, might be enough most of the time, but in a second of high demand.. its not quite enough to handle it and could flake out.

Have you switched out the cat5 cable and the coax from the wall, just in case? again, just trying to illiminate stuff (actualy had a guy at work yesterday say that exact thing.. was having a problem, and just replaced the one from the wall and it fixed it).

Is this happening just specific times of day? or anytime?