Internet not as advertised...scandal? or poor service?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Internet not as advertised...scandal? or poor service?

What is going on with this so called "advertised internet speed"?

So the package I'm on advertises 20mb download(yes up to*). But by the heck man, when your getting only 6.82mb/2.43mb/11.26mb all within 20 mins of speed testing.(1 pc on in the house only). Common man! Paying $120+ a month for dial-up pretty much?

They need to lower this price tag or stop this stupidity all together! It's unstable and ridiculous!

There's no way in any form that the issue is here on my end as I have had a tech come and check things out! I'm smack in the center of Moncton NB, there's no reason for this.If I'd be out in the country ya, maybe...

Worst thing is? I called and told them about it over one week ago, asked to speed-up my internet and jump me to the next package.Which would give me 30mb download speed and 10mb upload.(yes again, up to*) I know...

But now my net, instead of being speed-up, it's just sloppy! I've been building pc's for years to top it off, so it's not like I don't know wether or not my pc is the issue.Not stating I'm perfect, but my system is currently flawless!

It's a scandal to be charging such ridiculous prices for such poor net services! I hope the rest of the region will come down together and fight for better companies to filter in our province and get rid of this garbage setup here in NB!

****Edited Labels****

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet not as advertised...scandal? or poor service?

WHile i do agree they need to fix whatever is causing the not being able to reach maximum... you are getting better than dialup 😛 (dial up was only 56kbps)

While i am not saying you are NOT having a problem.. i dont beleive its a scandal.. more poor service.  Myself, and i know of others who can speed test at full speeds.

Where were you doing the speedtests to?  Just looking at the speedtest map out there.. there are not alot of points you have access too 😞  This can sometimes effect the results as well.
I live near toronto, so alot of choices to choose from.  But i can even get varrying results, based on WHICH one i connect to.  IE: I connect to techsavvy, where i am not off the rogers backbone then, it bang on.. but if i choose another, there is a slight hit in the speed, as its having to switch to another provider, which can cause some issues.. but shoulnt be TOO much.

Just curious, what modem are you uising? Are you using one of the newer gateways, and is it on wireless, when you are doing this speed test?

I Plan to Stick Around

I'm using the Cisco  DPC3825 modem(4 router ports)

It's not  that "Roger's sux"... I'd like to correct my last post for rudeness to the company. It's just where your paying so much for a service and your not getting it, well, it's a bummer  😞

Used 3 various Net tester:   SpeedTest.net,  Roger's and Bell aliant!  All of them showed same results. Failed  😞

Now, today I called them and they will fix my problems they say.  Oh  my gawd I'm crossing fingures like you can't belive!!!

...results awaiting...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Aha. Are you doing these speed tests on the gateway wired or wireless?

If its wireless, I almost guarantee its the fair of te Cisco. As a modem part it works fine, but the wireless, to be frank, blows.

It could be the cause of the lower speeds. Most users tend to put these in bridged mode, and use their own router, and are usually fine.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry, but that is standard operating procedure for Rogers.  They were once great, but are now known for poor network quality and slow speeds, but in home internet and HSPA wireless.

Not clear exaclty but I think you're referring to home internet.  Rogers has been hemorhaging customers for a few years because of exactly the type of problem you are having.  I wouldn't expect it to improve, its just the kind of company they have become.  Count yourself lucky that at least home internet is not on contract and you can leave.  Are there any other options where you live?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

often in heavy populated areas, where there is overselling, the network is just too crowded and thats what is slowing it down.. for some.  99% of the time, i get as advertised speeds, but i am also not in an over populated area.

For quite a number of others, its just a simple hardware issue (albiet, one that SHOULDNT exist since its the hardware given out by rogers), but is bypassable.  There are many who have resoved their speed issue completely by doing what i explained above.  It should not be NECESSARY, but it works.

In the end, i am not saying anyone has to stay with rogers either.  That is everyones personal decision.  Take a look around and see whats available.  But always check into everything.  A 3rd party provider which works off the same network (rents from rogers) could end up with the same issues.  Some other providers, will provide similar crappy gateways only, so could run into the same issues there.  So do the research, ask around, and find out the best solution for yourself.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

GDKitty,

With due respect, there's no way you get advertised speeds.  Nobody does.  The advertised speeds are the 'theoretical' max.  Typical speeds for quality network are in the range of 1/4 to 1/3 of that max.  Those speeds are never advertised, because that would force them to actually provide the service they are advertising.

Rogers is the worst for this of the big 3.  For over 2 years I dealth with brutal speeds (<5% advertised) pretty much everywhere.  This is the nature of Rogers HSPA network today.  It's garbage.  Didn't used to be, but since their management change years ago, its gone downhill.

If you are geting decent, functional data with Rogers HSPA, you are one of the lucky ones.  Overloading is not an excuse, if your network is overloaded, then don't charge people for data plans as if the network was quality.  But of course....they still do.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actualy, i am.

Internet usage, are always done, via POTENTIAL.  Will you ever get your 25mbps on ONE download? No, never, because no one can provide you that much all at once.  Its a combined potential. This is what speed tests are for.  These things, check to see, if combined via multiple connections all at one time, can you achive up to that speed.

My speedstests, which are tried across about 5 different 3rd party ones and the rogers one, all usualy end up around 30-32 mbps down and 1.9 up,  this is on a 25/2 connection.  Now, unfortunatley part of the 30-32 is the speed boost, but if you were to remove that part of it, it should sit around the 25.

Now, there are some people who dont achive this even on a speed test, this could be due to factors like overcrowding.

You might want to read the whole post before you reply though.  This post is about HOME cable based internet.  This is nothing to do with wireless HSPA speeds.  While end product, yes they both end up on the same rogers backbone to the internet.. they are two COMPLETELY different things, which you can not compare speeds with. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I should clarify, nobody gets advertised potential speeds on wireless.  If you're talking home internet, different story.  I'm signed up for 20mbps at home, and speedtest instantly rams up to 19.9 and flutters there for the duration of the test.

Wireless no way.  When a network advertises 4G 21mbps for example, you can expect 8-10 on good days.  If it's Rogers, probably less than 3.  As another example right now I get about 14mbps on Telus 42mbps advertised 4G HSPA.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes.  The OP was talking about home wired internet. 

while i understand your potential frustration on the wireless end regarding the speeds, this thread was about the home based, and should try to keep it on that topic.

Better to bring up the speed issue for wireless in a seperate thread 🙂

(on a side note, just did a speed test, on my 3g, and pulled about 3.5/1.1, the problem with wireless, there is a TON more factors, even the slightest bit of not 100% signal strength can effect speeds)