Internet lag spikes, in Mississauga

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Internet lag spikes, in Mississauga

I have been suffering from huge lag spikes for over a year now.  Techs have visited several times, and I have had even more phone consults with Rogers tech support; all to no avail.  A recent pattern is that speeds are OK during the week, but weekends are abysmal.  No way to play games-I'm dead.

Surely someone at Rogers knows what is going on, but just like the Maple Leafs, as long as people keep coming, why should they do anything? 

The real idiot here is me, for sticking around so long. 

Bye Bye Rogers.

PS A friend in the neighbourhood uses Bell, and has no issues, but I have been told that their customer service is even worse than Rogers, so I am looking at some of the dozens of other options, in case anyone else is in the same boat(I'm sure there is).

***Edited Labels***

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Internet lag spikes, in Mississauga

It's been 4 hours now since we're out of Rogers internet!!

Totally bummer!

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Keep in mind that, regardless of how good your internet is, it can be affected by how many people are using it. Think about it; the weekend is pretty much the time when everyone uses the internet in a given area. If you have several people in particular area using the internet heavily all on the weekend, it's going to affect how fast it is. That would explain why your phone consults and calls to technical support haven't accomplished anything. You may not have anything actually wrong, and it may just be a case of too much traffic in your area.

Then again I'm not a technical guy so I could be absolutely wrong on this. We have some technically oriented people here; they may be able to help you figure out a solution. I'd give it a try before giving up completely.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

Hey @Dissatisified

Oh please don't relate it to the Leafs. There are some fans here who might get burned. 😮

On a very serious note, I think with limited information you have given, might have an idea what is going on.

@Datalink and @Gdkitty are Experts in these things, but I believe you might have a signal issue of sort.

Someone has split your line (Outside) - 'tapping' is the term I have heard before. This happened to me, (I live in Mississauga as well), but turned out that it was a third party connection hopping on the line (split incorrectly).

Tech came in and fixed that, and issue was quickly resolved. This is my experience.

Have you had technicians to look at the signal variance?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The 'many people on' thing while still technically possible, GRENERALLY doesn't exist anymore. With the D3 modems, you generally don't see this.
(Unless the user is still on a d2)

It is possible it's signal related.. Even at the street level. That when there is many on its too much stress on some failing section and is causing the problem.

This is one thing you would want to get checked period. If it's signal related, the. If you chose a different provider that uses Rogers lines, that signal issue can effect them too.

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

To Add, since I didn't see Lockdown message earlier. (I was slow in responding).

@lockdown2341 - All Internet for Each account are wired seperately. Regardless if you have 15 people or 25 people or 1 person on the network. The Node splits them equally without effecting each other.

I have all rogers users in my neighbourhood... None of us share each other bandwidth, as the the cable to the Node is fiber. and splits individually from there to each home.
Third - Party are not to be tapping into other lines, but it can happen (Human error happens, Human's aren't perfect right?).
So the comment about Weekend and how many people are using it, I have to disagree.
I have confirmed this with Tech Support Guys and Technicians on the field. They are individual connections.

Back in the old days, it was very much shared, but technology has come ways from then. (This includes generally all ISP in north america).

and @Baha77 what's going on with you? No connection at all? what is the modem status showing?
Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

@Gdkitty beat me to the comment. MAN I am very slow in responding lol
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@ShakTib wrote:

@lockdown2341 - All Internet for Each account are wired seperately. Regardless if you have 15 people or 25 people or 1 person on the network. The Node splits them equally without effecting each other.

I have all rogers users in my neighbourhood... None of us share each other bandwidth, as the the cable to the Node is fiber. and splits individually from there to each home.
Third - Party are not to be tapping into other lines, but it can happen (Human error happens, Human's aren't perfect right?).
So the comment about Weekend and how many people are using it, I have to disagree.
I have confirmed this with Tech Support Guys and Technicians on the field. They are individual connections.

Back in the old days, it was very much shared, but technology has come ways from then. (This includes generally all ISP in north america).

That is completely wrong - even if the wiring may look like a star topology, it does not mean that the bandwidth is not being shared... 

Cable Internet is shared. You have however many (20-21 in the current Rogers deployment) DOCSIS channels that the modems tune into. The DOCSIS standard specifies some kind of collision detection/avoidance mechanism so that different modems don't talk over each other. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@ShakTiburon I've been on the net all day till around 4:30 when my online streaming got disconnected.

called support twice to see if there's been an outage or something and indeed it seems like there's an outage in my area, no further detail was provided and no ETA to resolve the issue neither.

my modem doesn't show the blue @ sign anymore. It either flashes the upstream or the down stream icons + 2.4 G + 5G + power icon + the monitor with 4 dots icon. Currently the upstream is flashing.

Checked the admin console, there's no WAN IP address. Sometimes there's a downstream port registered and most of the times the upstream is blank, but i've never seen an IP address for WAN since the outage.

I wonder what is support doing right now (i'm currently using my Cell phone data plan to connect).

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

So...what you're saying is that weekends or weekdays shouldn't matter.  I should be grateful that I am getting no lag spikes during the week when I rarely game, and not worry about the lag spikes on the weekends when I am gaming?