Internet is next-level slow

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Internet is next-level slow

2.5hrs later

-Modem CGN3 replaced

-Coaxial to modem replaced

-Coaxial in wall plate - replaced

-Random tests with his gadget to say signal strength good

-Did random stuff outside

-Called someome

-Suggested I tried different laptop - tried 3 - including his....and mine and his smartphone

-Speedtests a plenty

-Download Speed as of this post - 0.58 Down - 6.43 Up

End Result...they tried everything and someone from Maintenance needs to come to look at area.

Downstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Signal noise ratio (dB)Channel ID
1603000000256QAM-6.50029.80727
2591000000256QAM-5.80030.20625
3597000000256QAM-6.10029.95226
4609000000256QAM-6.90029.48528
5615000000256QAM-7.30029.22729
6621000000256QAM-7.40029.10330
7633000000256QAM-7.10028.64231
8639000000256QAM-7.00028.32532
9645000000256QAM-7.10028.29133
11657000000256QAM-7.10027.96735
12663000000256QAM-7.10027.81436
Upstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)BandWidthModulation TypeSignal Strength (dBmV)Channel ID
1305960006400000ATDMA33.5002
2237000006400000ATDMA33.7503
3385960003200000ATDMA33.7501
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmmmm.  Not looking very good at this point.  Downstream signal levels are still too low, -7 dBmV instead of 0 dBmV or just slightly higher, and you're still missing 8 downstream channels.  Thats a huge issue, and, if that's an issue for you, it should be an issue for your neighbors as well.  You should have a little chat and compare signal levels.  They should be calling in as well.  The more the better.  Downstream signal to noise ratios are absolutely terrible.  The combination of those are going to give you a great deal of trouble.  Upstream signal levels are a little low, possibly survivable if nothing else was going wrong. Now, it you have multiple devices in your home, and the tech has used a singular splitter, yep, you could be down at - 7 dBmV, but that is really unusual and should not be left that way.  There are other ways to configure splitters so that the internet modem will only see half the signal drop that the other devices will see. 

Even if the tech's test instrumentation indicated that the signal levels are good, for those that are there, I find it hard to believe he or she wouldn't mention the fact that 8 downstream channels are missing.  No amount to laptop changing is going to change that fact.  Either  there is a real problem with the node, or a real problem with the cabling that runs from the node to all of the neighborhood taps, which then connect to the homes.  Did the tech indicate when to expect a maintenance crew and, do you have ticket number so that you can call tech support looking for an update?  if this has been going on for a while, and it turns out that it might carry on for a little while, you should ping off of customer support looking for a reduction and rebate in monthly fees. 

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

we only have the one TV upstairs and the Internet downstairs, so he did remove two un needed splitters.

After he left, he was parked for a good 1hr or so and was helping the neighbors.....he had told me people saw the Rogers log on his van, and said they had phone issues....so it seems like a bigger issue..

Didn't get a ticket number but when he said some maitenance people needed to come, I asked him when, and he said usually quick and should be 24hours...no ticket, but will contact CS today.

And for sure I will be asking for a credit since it's been Tuesday when I had stable Internet.

No mention of the downstreams missing - he seemed puzzeled.  Very nice guy, but I never got he impression he knew what he was doing aside from changing cables.  At one point he went upstairs to fix the TV....when it wasn't broken....I was like, yeah, cable TV works great. It's the Internet, dude.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

They will credit my account. I called this morning and spoke to a CSR, who was very nice.  Next sked appointment on Thursday the 17th...unless I get in earlier...

No Maintenance scheduled to be done in the area as the tech who came to my house said - so that was a quality lie as I fell for it 🙂

I moved the modem upstairs to where my cable box was - same results.

I chatted this morning with a rep....man, I have to say....some of these guys have no idea what they're doing. So here I am complaining about my Internet, and the guy is like "reboot your cable TV box...you will see the word "boot".  I was like "umm..this has to deal with my Internet."  He then says, "oh, yeah, reboot the modem".

Like Huh? 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I've asked @RogersPrasana to contact you in order to determine what the next step will be.  Hopefully she can direct you to someone on staff, or have someone contact you to determine what the next step is.  Please keep an eye out for the envelope icon at the upper right when you are logged in.  In the mean time, if you have a green comm services box on your yard or on the neighbors yard, that you share, you should have a chat with your neighbors, check their signal levels if possible and ask them to call in as well.  Usually the tap is shared with 4 homes.

Moving the internet modem won't make any difference.  This looks like a node or street cable issue.  To be absolutely sure, if you connect the modem right to the incoming cable, before the splitter, you will see if there is any difference.   If there is no difference, then your house cabling is ruled out.  The signal levels should rise 3 dBmV when you are connected ahead of the splitter.  That is what I would expect.  As for the missing 8 missing signal channels, they should still be missing.   However, it would be worth checking just to know.

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @Superstudd80

Thank you for your post.

I understand you’re having some disruption in your services . We can definitely help!

I’m going to have someone from our CommunityHelps team reach out to you in a Private Message, please check your messages from the envelope icon in the top right hand side of your screen.

Thanks!

@RogersPrasana

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

One interesting tidbit, and thanks everyone for reaching out during this ordeal, is that the tech who came out here mentioned the green box was confusing and not labelled correctly...so he's not sure about the connections there.  It's beyond my knowledge so I just noted that in my head.

Thanks @RogersPrasana - I have recieved a PM and have filled out the form with my info as requested.

Shockingly I'm taking this pretty well since I have my work's mobile hot spot that is keeping me connected - without it, yikes 😞

It's weird to have 0.31 MPBS and being unable to do NetFlix, etc..

Highlighted
Rogers Employee
Rogers Employee

0.31mbps? That's crazy! 😮
Im glad you have a back up plan for internet.
but it as data link said, I am thinking its cable line issue.
Hope this gets fixed soon! 🙂
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

FIXED 🙂

Got the automated call and I tested it out! Working again 🙂

Thank YOU THANK YOU!!!!!

Highlighted

Hello @Superstudd80,

Thank you for updating the Community and we are glad that the issue is fixed. We appreciate your contributions and for your help in keeping the community a pleasant place to be.Smiley Happy

Cheers,

RogersMoin