Internet is next-level slow

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Internet is next-level slow

Hello all, I think I am on the ignite 70 plan. Speed have been good since I signed up but all of sudden today, the download speed slowed down quite a bit (to ~10Mbps, and vary quite a bit). The upload seems to be fine (8 to 10Mbps).

The signal seems to be good. Signal strength between 3 to 6 dBmV, signal noise ratio between 37.6 to 39 dB, with 20 channels. Weird thing is the DOCSIS Logs show "SW download Successful - Via NMS" around the time I notice the slowness, along with some other message.

log.PNG

Please help. I have been spoiled. The slowness is unbearable. 😞 Thanks!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

CGN3ACSMR- 4.5.8.16

Have 250Mbps speed only getting 100-120Mbps

Jul 16, 2015 08-53-46.png

Highlighted
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi @weis & @Mo786

How are you conducting these speed tests? wired or wireless?

RogersAsif

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Tried both wired and wireless, wireless with asus 68u. Speed was fine 1 month ago both wire and wireless through asus. Since mid june speed dropped

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

I tested it wired connection earlier. Same slowness.  But now it looks better. 

The 2.4G wirless is still slow, but then I tried 5G, feels more like what it used to be. Not sure what is going on. 

With cable connection, is it normal to experience a few hours of slowness during peak hours? Two months with rogers, this is the first time I expeirence this. Hopefully this is the end of it. 

Thanks!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Didn't do a speed test yet but everything seems to be running quicker now...rogers was supposed to email me when the issue was resolved but they must have forgotten, unless it hasn't been resolved yet.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Yasser can you log into the modem, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread again, just to see how they turned out?  Can you also run a speedtest at http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html or www.speedtest.net using the Toronto Telus server?

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mo786 your downstream signal levels are low, but probably not to the point of calling in a tech, and your upstream levels are slightly elevated.  That might point to a possible external cable or connector issue.  With the modem bridged, you can still connect a pc or laptop directly to the modem in addition to the router, and run a speedtest using http://speedcheck.rogers.com/en.html or www.speedtest.net using the Toronto Telus server.  The modem should assign a second IP address to the PC or laptop.  If the speedtest results are low call tech support, have the CSR run a signal check and indicate that you are not seeing the data rates through the direct connection that you should be seeing.  You might require a tech visit to sort things out.

If that speedtest turns out ok, then its time to look at the router.  I also use an Asus RT-AC68U.  The only time that I ever had a problem with it was after a firmware upgrade.  That required an NVRAM clear to fix.  To do that, turn off the router using the power switch at the rear of the modem.  Looking at the router from the back, on the left side of the router is a WPS button.  That is the top button on the left side of the modem.  Depress that button and keep it depressed while you turn the power back on.  Keep the button depressed for at least 30 seconds after you have turned the power back on, and then release.  That will completely clear the router settings.  I believe it will reboot after the NVRAM is complete.  Log into the router and reset all of the parameters.  There is a new firmware version out Version 3.0.0.4.378.6975 released on Jul 6 2015, which is just last week.  Its possible that the firmware checker in the router will not pick up on the fact that the firmware is out.  If you decide to try the NVRAM clear, I'd recommend updating the firmware first, then run the NVRAM clear and then reset the parameters.  The update can also be download from:

https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Networking/RTAC68U/HelpDesk_Download/

The other possibility to account for the slowdown is that the Hardware Acceleration has been turned off for some reason.  To correct this log into the router and navigate to LAN..... SWITCH CONTROL.  Ensure that the CTF (Hardware Acceleration) is enabled.  To read more about CTF, have a look at the paragraph regarding CTF in my post # 85 in the following page:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/message-id/191...

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@weis Can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS.....DOCSIS WAN page, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into this thread.  That will allow us to check the signal levels and determine if further action might be required.