Internet drops when my phone rings!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
starrynite
I've Been Around

Internet drops when my phone rings!

About a month ago we upgraded our modem to the new Cisco (in order to get the 70GB usage). After switching the modems our internet connection kept dropping. We've realized that its only when our phone rings the internet connection drops.

We also have rogers home phone. Anyone else having this issue or have any suggestions?

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet drops when my phone rings!

IHR might be correct.

The default for most wireless routers.. is 2.4ghz  Which is the same as most standard wireless phones.

If the phone itself is near the router, it should be ok.. but if the BASE UNIT is near the router, it can drop the wireless when it rings.
Changing to a 5.8 or 6.0 phone, should fix it, IF that is the problem.

There is another user that has reported a similar thing here recently too.

Did you set up the home phone and your internet? or did a rogers tech do it?   If the cables are split wrong (how they come into the house, then split for the phone, internet, tv, etc.. ) it is possible it could be a signal issue.. that the phone would be set to take priority on signal (for emergency calls, etc), and that its stealing too much from the internet signal.

View solution in original post

All Replies
FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Do you have a cordless phone? We had the same problem with our 2.4 GHz phone - something to do with the same frequency as our router. When we switched back to our older 900 MHz phone, the problem was solved. I also understand that if you get one of the newer DECT 6 cordless phones, that should also fix the problem. It has nothing at all do to with Rogers Home Phone - only with the type of cordless phone you are using!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

IHR might be correct.

The default for most wireless routers.. is 2.4ghz  Which is the same as most standard wireless phones.

If the phone itself is near the router, it should be ok.. but if the BASE UNIT is near the router, it can drop the wireless when it rings.
Changing to a 5.8 or 6.0 phone, should fix it, IF that is the problem.

There is another user that has reported a similar thing here recently too.

Did you set up the home phone and your internet? or did a rogers tech do it?   If the cables are split wrong (how they come into the house, then split for the phone, internet, tv, etc.. ) it is possible it could be a signal issue.. that the phone would be set to take priority on signal (for emergency calls, etc), and that its stealing too much from the internet signal.

View solution in original post