cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops from 100 mbps to 2 mbps every once in a while?

GaryKing
I'm a Regular

Over the past few days, my Internet speeds have dropped from 100 mbps to 2 mbps for a few minutes at a time. Anyone else experiencing something like this? I'm in Toronto.

Also, a few outages here and there for about a minute each time. I've always wondered if these problems are on my end or Rogers; I usually assume Rogers, but is there any way to test? I've got the SMC gateway and a brand new ASUS RT-N66U router.

***edited labels***

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Internet drops from 100 mbps to 2 mbps every once in a while?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Guessing your setup, you are NOT in bridged mode? (Trying to eliminate those dropouts)

Any pattern? Every hour? Certain times of day?

I am in bridged mode, that's why I have my own router. I can't spot a pattern for this.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Well you can use a router just as an access point like I am not in bridged 🙂

Hmm.. How often are the dropouts? Like many times a day? Or just random?

No other issues with TV? Wondering if could partially be signal.

hartec
I've Been Around
I'm having the same issue here in Pickering, as are many of my neighbours. The Internet just seems to crap out for awhile several times per day - maybe every hour or so. It's very annoying. I'm thinking it's another major Rogers outage like the one in January, but it's odd that I can't find any news about it, aside from here.

gostinger
I've Been Here Awhile
Ajax is the same. It is crapping out continuously.

dcorkill
I've Been Around

We are having the same issue here in ottawa.   I've tried restarting my router and moden a few times and it hasn't really fixed anything.   When connected I'm running at full speed but when it drops out I'm totally dead in the water.

Same issue in North York. Noticed it on Sunday, really bad now. Just seems to drop every few minutes. Lose connection to Netflix too...

In Markham here, my Internet speed has been eratic over the past 48 hours....now I am on-hold with Rogers on the phone and on Chat to find out what's happening....

erinlix
I've Been Around

I am in Stouffville. I just started to use rogers internet last Sat. I also have the same problem. At first, I think this is rogers router problem when I heard Hitron wireless router is poor. Then I purchase another router, powerline and test it again. It is the same. The speed is unstable and the page always display "No data received"

So frustrated

lowbee
I'm Here A Lot

Just got off a chat session with Rogers, they didn't anything wrong with my setup and have opened a ticket to their engineering department to investigate further.

I noticed when she took over my computer, she ran a series of Ping tests [amongst other things]

Ping to red.com and google.com went OK

Ping to yahoo.com has packet loss and it is repeatable...

Something u guys can try.....then she did a tracert to yahoo.com and one hop has timed out.... I think she decided to open a ticket with engineering after that.

go to start >> run >> type "cmd" then hit OK.  In the dos box, type "ping -t yahoo.com" , type "Ctrl-C" to stop.

Robertson
I've Been Around

North York here (Yonge & Sheppard).   I've also been affected for the last couple of days.  It doesn't seem like a speed issue to me, and it's probably nothing to do with customers' modems... it's a larger networking problem outside of our control.

Certain addresses seem perfectly fine at all times (anandtech.com, google.ca, rogers.com).  Other addresses remain unreachable for large stretches of time ("request timed out" when pinging), eventually becoming accessible for a little while, before losing connectivity once again.   And some addresses go "on/off" more rapidly, so they seem to work, but slowly.

I've also noticed that I can ping proper IP address (###.##.###.##), whereas the full website name might not work for a few minutes (and then after a while it does work again).

Email's iffy too... I sometimes have to wait a few minutes before I can access my Microsoft-based Email.

goodrix
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi there, I live in Markham and over the past 2 weeks I had constant internet and HP outages. Every time I called the customer service I asked if they are aware of an issue in the area and every time they tell me the area looks good and it's a problem with how the signal gets to my house. I'm sorry other people have issues too but I'm also glad to hear it's not just me. 

I had 3 techs over so far, last one replaced all the connections and splits from the pole to my modem. It seems to have fixed the HP outage but the internet still acts up. Now it shows I'm connected but last night I could not even load a web page. Sometimes the TV is getting static lines too (last night was really bad). The fact that all services are being affected tells me it's not a problem in my home, but rather on their end. 

Signal inside the house seems to travel fine according to the last tech that came over on Sunday and checked all the wires. My last resort is to get the modem replaced since it's the only piece of equipment that's 'old'. I really doubt that will do anything but for piece of mind I want to eliminate the possibility. If that doesn't fix it, I'll start looking into other providers, I'm tired of calling in and having techs over with no resolution. 

Interesting.

Mine seems stable at home.. was remote connected into it all afternoon, and on it all last night.. without any apparent major drops (would likely have gotten lag in game last night, or on the remote desktop if there was).

Mind you, my home connection is up in Georgina, so further north.

Now, Robertsons post brings up something interesting... which could equate back to the issue in Jan actually.

That they can ping some addresses properly, and that others you can only ping via the IP... likely means Rogers DNS issues.. again. (this is assuming that you are all using the default rogers DNS servers).

A change in DNS servers, MIGHT help this.  (to say the google ones).  If any one would like help with setting/changing this, please feel free to PM me.

One other possibility as well.. could be NODE issues somewhere. That some addresses seem OK, the path that it takes from A to B across the internet may be clear.  BUT.. if there is a node issue along the way going to a different server in a different location, could effect only some traffing going that way, and not others.   SO it would all depend on what you are connecting to.

If its a DNS issue.. its on rogers to 100% fix it.  With a NODE.. its a little harder.. since its not on their network.  The most rogers can do it contact the node to get themselves up.. MAYBE re route, if there is another way/another partner in that area who they can use.

Well, I can tell you my problem isn't cause by Rogers DNS since I don't use Rogers.  I have always use Google DNS 8.8.8.8 and OpenDNS.

Ping to yahoo.com still have packet loss but if I am connected to my office via VPN then ping to yahoo.com is OK...now that should give you additional info to help us make sense of this.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OK.. so NOT likely a DNS issue..

May still be a node issue then.

Going through the VPN, your work is through a different provider?
They may have different partners, etc, and therefore their path through to the destination is fine.. where as the rogers goes through a different node.

Would you, or if anyone else wants to as well, post a traceroute for say yahoo.com (or any location you see the loss on) which was having issues?

tracert internetaddresshere

And i'll run some comparison tests from my home, etc 🙂

Here's the trace route, I had to do a second take while I saw my first hop went through US DoD server, but I think I found the answer to that

Tracing route to yahoo.com [206.190.36.45]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1     1 ms    <1 ms    <1 ms  192.XXX.XX.1 <- my router gateway
  2     9 ms     9 ms     9 ms  7.72.136.1  <- Whoo, US Dept. of Defense server...
  3    12 ms    11 ms    12 ms  24.156.135.161
  4    14 ms    11 ms    11 ms  69.63.253.82
  5    25 ms    26 ms    25 ms  24.156.147.250
  6     *        *        *     Request timed out.
  7    28 ms    32 ms    27 ms  ae-1-d190.pat2.dax.yahoo.com [216.115.104.120]
  8    48 ms    60 ms    49 ms  ae-4.pat1.che.yahoo.com [216.115.101.153]
  9    65 ms    72 ms    77 ms  ae-8.pat2.dnx.yahoo.com [216.115.96.121]
 10    94 ms    91 ms    90 ms  ae-8.pat1.gqb.yahoo.com [216.115.96.122]
 11    90 ms    89 ms    91 ms  ae-0.msr1.gq1.yahoo.com [66.196.67.1]
 12    90 ms   120 ms    89 ms  xe-9-0-0.clr1-a-gdc.gq1.yahoo.com [98.137.31.137]
 13    88 ms    87 ms    89 ms  et-17-1.fab4-1-gdc.gq1.yahoo.com [98.137.31.176]
 14    95 ms    95 ms    86 ms  po-12.bas2-7-prd.gq1.yahoo.com [206.190.32.35]
 15    86 ms    90 ms    99 ms  ir1.fp.vip.gq1.yahoo.com [206.190.36.45]

Trace complete.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, the DoD thing is not right.  While when you do a whois, those IPs are registered to the DoD.. they are non routeable on the regular internet.
Rogers uses them as internal ones.. they are not reachable from outside rogers (IE cant reach them from my work bell internet)

Now from your tracert.. there is the dropout at 6.. obviously where the problem is.
#5 is rogers.. #7 is yahoo.. so weither that one there is rogers or yahoos is the question.. but definately something in the transition there. 

My tracert goes through a different set of hops/servers.. but has a dropout at 7, same thing between rogers/yahoo.  My 216.115.104.120 on, is the same, so its the node before this one.

Doing a tracert on my bell internet at work.. brings up a bunch of bell nodes, then a yahoo peering @ bell, then onto the bell ones (with the same 216 family).

So my guess... is that its the rogers equivelent of this PEERING node.. the one that connects their network to the yahoo.

My Internet speed went to the crapper again (download from 33Mbps down to about 3Mbps, upload from 2.8Mbps to 0.5Mbps), it all seems to start at a little after 7pm for the last 3 nights......I think something is wrong with the network in my area as I didn't get any new neighbor..... If this keeps up, I will have to switch to Belly

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
While its possible signal, when too much load on the line causing the issue.
(Had that here with TV, but bet was fine)

Slow down net like that is more likely congestion :(. Overselling for what that area can handle, and 7pm would be the one of the busiest times 😞

Totally understand if you ended up switching.

Same here in Orléans. Very irritating.

Topic Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 12 in conversation