cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet drops from 100 mbps to 2 mbps every once in a while?

GaryKing
I'm a Regular

Over the past few days, my Internet speeds have dropped from 100 mbps to 2 mbps for a few minutes at a time. Anyone else experiencing something like this? I'm in Toronto.

Also, a few outages here and there for about a minute each time. I've always wondered if these problems are on my end or Rogers; I usually assume Rogers, but is there any way to test? I've got the SMC gateway and a brand new ASUS RT-N66U router.

***edited labels***

23 REPLIES 23

Re: Internet drops from 100 mbps to 2 mbps every once in a while?

goodrix
I've Been Here Awhile

It's me again. When I got home today around 5 I did a speed test out of curiosity. I got great results for my Express package so I was happy. The 6pm comes and the internet starts crawling. It doesn't disconnect (modem online/connected) but it doesn't load any page. It went from great to almost nothing in 5 minutes

This time my call to customer support got directed to Customer Appreciation Team (after a 10 min wait to get a hold of someone, I guess they were very busy for some reason...). The rep ran some test for the area apparently in my area he said "some modems are up some are down". He scheduled the "senior technician" to come over on Friday and take a look at the issue. (this will be the 4th technician to come over). I hope this guy can figure out where the problems is coming from since it's starting to get clear is not within my house but somewhere outside.

It's now 10 pm and the internet is running again but at half the speed it should. At least I can read my email.

Even though it has been 2 weeks since my problems started at least I can see they are trying to locate the issue so I'm going to be patinent for a little longer to give them the opportunity to fix the problem. 

NickTO
I'm a Frequent Visitor

Same thing happening here in Mississauga since Monday or Tuesday.    

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like there must be something major going on in some of the switching hardware, in the southern GTA, etc.

Its been fairly consistant in northern GTA (newmarket and north).

Topic Stats
  • 23 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 12 in conversation