Internet disconnects while gaming/skype?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Internet disconnects while gaming/skype?

Hey everyone so basically my internet has been having this issue for months now. Whenever i play online games and have skype running at the same time( in a skype call with friends) my ping skyrockets and eventually my internet diconnects. This may happen anywhere between every 15-20 min of gaming. Its a simple fix usually just quicly disconnect and reconnect my internet on my the task bar but it gets really annoying. This issue persists even if im not in a skype call and just gaming.

Important to note that my internet does not disconnect when im just generally browsing or streaming videos.

Just some facts on my setup. Currently using a desktop pc over wirreless. I usually get between 4-5 bars so my connection to my router is good. Im using the SMC modem bridged with mt D-Link 655 router.

Even if im the only one using the internet the problem still occurs. Tends to happen mostly at night but still occurs during the day just not as frequent.

Could the modem be the issue or both the modem and the router? Maybe cant handle the bandwidth?

Should i upgrade my modem to the Hitron and also get a better router?

Thanks everyone!!!

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Internet disconnects while gaming/skype?

Before we get to that, what Internet package are you on?

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm on the Extreme package.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

So, you are on the 35m/3m speed package?

From a WIRED connection, are you able to do a speed test.. and are you able to get CLOSE to at least those speeds?

Also try from the wireless, to compare.

Only reason i ask.. is i know under the older packages/speeds, with the older modems, etc.. the UPLOAD was much lower.
Especially using something like skype, could almost eat up ALL that upload bandwidth.. and would cause anything with 2 way communication to come to a grind.
(I have express at 25/2, but it used to be 18/512... and if my wife got on a skype call.. would kill my WoW latency.  Its fine now with 15/2)

Wondering if your not getting the upload properly.

I Plan to Stick Around

Looks like that router has Qos for VoIP (eg Skype). Do you have that feature turned on? it definitely sounds like you are maxing out your upload which will in turn kill your download. Is the router still accessible when the slowdown occurs? Are you using high quality video settings on Skype? 

Also have you checked forr firmware updates for the Dlink? I did a quick search and I see other people reporting wireless issues with that router and for some people a firmware update does the trick.